223 vrs 204 thought from another thread

predyotevarmint

The thread that has a 223 40 gr bullet traveling over 3900fps has gotten electrodes fireing around in my head that it might,maybe have the trajectory about the same as a 204. I am not to familiar with the BC aspects of bullets yet. But could this be possible if those speeds are being achieved?

Originally Posted By: predyotevarmint The thread that has a 223 40 gr bullet traveling over 3900fps has gotten electrodes fireing around in my head that it might,maybe have the trajectory about the same as a 204. I am not to familiar with the BC aspects of bullets yet. But could this be possible if those speeds are being achieved?

Yes... with the proper powders and a 24" or longer barrel, you can get 3,900 fps without getting in a sweat.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: predyotevarmint The thread that has a 223 40 gr bullet traveling over 3900fps has gotten electrodes fireing around in my head that it might,maybe have the trajectory about the same as a 204. I am not to familiar with the BC aspects of bullets yet. But could this be possible if those speeds are being achieved?

Yes... with the proper powders and a 24" or longer barrel, you can get 3,900 fps without getting in a sweat.

Ok what about equal barrel length. 22 inch of both calibers. Is it possible with different powders alone or is the longer barrel need on the 223 to get the same as the 204?

Originally Posted By: predyotevarmintOriginally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: predyotevarmint The thread that has a 223 40 gr bullet traveling over 3900fps has gotten electrodes fireing around in my head that it might,maybe have the trajectory about the same as a 204. I am not to familiar with the BC aspects of bullets yet. But could this be possible if those speeds are being achieved?

Ok what about equal barrel length. 22 inch of both calibers. Is it possible with different powders alone or is the longer barrel need on the 223 to get the same as the 204?

More barrel is always more betterer.

Powders like H-4198 and H-322 will be your friend with 40gr bullets.

Quote:But could this be possible if those speeds are being achieved?...Some of it will depend on your barrel twist rate...I had a slow twist (1/14) barrel installed in an AR upper and could pump up 40gr into being real screamers...Trajectory was really close to my .204s...

The downside was that the twist limited me to 55gr bullets on the high side...I can load pretty close with my Rem 700 with a 1/12 twist...

Back