New Guy, Should I get an ellectronic caller?

Kodiak62

I am relatively new to predator hunting. I did a little bit a few years ago but with poor results from little to no effort on my part. So my question is, will using an electric caller put more fur on the ground? I am a pretty good caller but I figure that with just starting out maybe an electronic caller would help make the learning curve a little less painful. The areas I will be hunting here in MN are going to result in a a lot of close shots and I am afraid that with mouth calls I may miss most coyotes from them winding me.

I am asking this question, because I want to shoot coyotes. I understand that an electronic caller is not a silver bullet but I maybe it would help put a few more on the ground.

Welcome to PM. Why of course you should go buy one, I'm willing to bet most of us here already did our part to keep the economy going and we are still buying !! With the new remote game calls on the market you can move the caller a good distance away from you and there are many calls you can have loaded onto your caller. I would suggest doing your homework and determine what caller you want. Buy the best one you can afford. There are many moving decoys on the market also. Make sure you buy one of those also. Then you want to consider shooting sticks or a bipod for your rifle. Maybe you will want to try night hunting if your state allows it, you will need the newest LED lights . The first predator you call in will have you going back out to do it all over again. Start doing your homework now if you want to bring the fur home. We here at PM are still learning. I've been calling off and on for over 35 yrs. Howled in and took my first coyote with a hand call. Take the time to learn your way around this sight. Top of the page is the search engine, type in what you want to learn about and read,read,read. Google Varmit Al's sight there is more info there. Good hunting to you. Patience and persistence will get the fur! Mick

The only problem I see with e-callers is that they are so widely used and the animals become conditioned to them. I used mouth calls for 10 years before getting a FoxPro. The guys are right do the homework and be persistent, mouth or e-caller--success will follow.

I would say keep it as simple as you can until you know for sure its something you are going to stick with. Coyote hunting can be great but it can also frustrate the [beeep] out of you. If you have some success with mouth calls and feel that it is something you are going to continue to do, then go out and buy an electronic if you feel the need to. If you buy one now and then give up predator calling a few weeks/months down the road you may be out the money you spent on the call. Just my opninion

Fortunately you are taking the correct first step, asking yourself a legitimate question. Coyote hunting can be exciting / frustrating! I have a lot of people in my area asking what my hunting partner and I use. Want to shoot the same rifle, wonder how we kill so many coyotes. Do we use a electronic call?
My kids friends are somewhat bewildered that they don't want to go out with dad coyote hunting. Right there is a big clue... My kids see me up an hour before light and home after dark. Rifles don't make the difference as long as you are proficient, same with calls.
I have called in coyotes using lips, fingers, open reed, closed reed, and electronic. Here is the advice I would give the parents of kids that ask me what electronic call I would buy. Buy them warm boots, the best warm clothes you can afford (stay away from the cotton our parents used to make us freeze in because we didn't know any better), buy them a couple hand calls and get them into the country. Have them experience the hunting and see if it is something they get hooked on. A $500 caller sitting in the closet is not a good investment if it doesn't work out. If it does, and can be afforded.... go for it. I just know of many people, included myself, that have had "buyers remorse".
You only have to answer to yourself and can tell you one thing. From my experience the most successful coyote hunters (as far as stacking up big numbers) are the persistent coyote hunters and persistence isn't a purchasable item.

I live in eastern Oregon. E-callers (in my AO) are the fastest way to get dogs to run away from you. While visiting the west side, my friend took me out and that Foxpro had 8 dogs running at us full blast. I couldn't believe it. So, it really depends on your AO.

Originally Posted By: RJPI live in eastern Oregon.
Where are you in EO? Where I'm at I've had pretty good success with my foxpro. That being said though, I only use it occassionaly. Usually after a few stands with hand calls I'm tired of blowing and will set out the foxpro for a stand or two just to give my lungs a break.

quote"I did a little bit a few years ago but with poor results from little to no effort on my part."quote

That is part of the problem, you have to put some effort into it.

May I suggest going to a State Park or other large piece of property where hunting is not allowed and learn to call there, whether you use hand calls or electronics. Those coyotes are usually easier to call and you can study the body language and how/from where they approach.

Electronics are very useful, especially early on in your predator hunting experience. It's on less thing to go wrong on stand.

Originally Posted By: K-22hornet.quote"I did a little bit a few years ago but with poor results from little to no effort on my part."quote

That is part of the problem, you have to put some effort into it.

May I suggest going to a State Park or other large piece of property where hunting is not allowed and learn to call there, whether you use hand calls or electronics. Those coyotes are usually easier to call and you can study the body language and how/from where they approach.

Electronics are very useful, especially early on in your predator hunting experience. It's on less thing to go wrong on stand.

That is an awesome idea.

As others have stated research the products and buy the best you can afford. My personal preference is Foxpro. I tend to use hand calls more often then my e-caller. Someone else mentioned that with the popularity of the sport increasing the use of ecallers has as well. That being said if you are in a more populated area the chances are greater that the yotes have all heard lightning jack and dsg cottontail. Everyone has a little different style, cadence, and technique to using hand calls which tend to produce sounds that yotes haven't been exposed to before.

My main problem with e-callers and new hunters is they try for a bit then give up. I think e-calls are great but wouldn't recommend buying one till you know if your gonna stick with it. Get a few critters under your belt with hand calls then bust out your money.

BTW, same with guns. Start with what you have, move up if you stick with it.

Kodiak62......

f404ba92b2450140a6500c5320fc3599.jpg

laugh.gif

Last edited:
Back