Coyote Hunting in Wisconsin

gostovp

Hi, I had this posted in the Calling in the East forum before I saw this one ....

Total newbie here! Been lurking on the site for awhile and have just started to post some questions...

Any tips for hunting coyote in Western WI? I'm new to predator hunting but the bug has bitten me hard...I called in a pair one time (and missed due to coyote fever) and it was like getting a big 10 point buck within bow range!!!
Anyway, my hunting partner and I have had little luck in our other setups..the areas we hunt have coyotes, we hear them and see tracks all the time...
In Western WI it is primarily a mix of ag with small 40 to 100 acre woodlots...should we be primarily be setting up in the thick stuff in the woodlots w/ shotguns or on the field edges w/ rifles (note, the pair I did call in was in some thick pines in late morning...if that tells you anything ...also, what calls should I be using this time of year? I have a FoxPro Wildfire that I got for a great deal and it has all your basic prey distress calls on it..but what about coyote challenges, howls, and pup in distress calls? How would those be used in conjunction w/ the prey calls?
What about hunting at night? We have pretty good snow cover right now and were thinking some hunting in the evening might be good...shotguns or rifles for at night?...more field edge setups at night? Here in WI we can't scan with a light, but we can turn it on 'at the point of kill' meaning we can shine right when we are going to shoot. What about a typical daytime calling sequence vs a nighttime calling sequence?

Thanks in advance for all your help!!!

Hi welcome to the site.. I would say your best bet would be to messege Rob424, he and his boy seem to have of down pat pretty good. My dad has some land in Vernon county and when I can make it over there..rabbit in distress sounds seem to work also I've had luck with woodpecker and bluejay in distress. If nothing else just keep at it. Goodluck to ya

Last edited:
At night under the full moon set up in fields with good snow cover calling to thick cover. The current moon phase you can hunt in the early morning with good moon light if you have the snow.
During the day i really like to setup in small field, pasture land, grassy areas, or wooded ravines. They seem to not like going into big wide open fields during the day. Save you best spot for first morning set of last evening set.
Night hunting you will have better odds.
Also I recommend getting alot of different spot, start door nocking. We have asked about 50 people for permission to hunt coyotes and I think only 5 said no.

I have found also that walking in instead of driving in will help in the success rate.Just getting set up without them seeing or hearing you is probably as hard to do any of the rest of the game.This time of year I like to start out with a couple howls and then go to coyote distress sounds.New places to call that have not been called at all are like GOLD.Coyote calling is like Musky fishing-10,000 casts- Good Luck!

I am in the same boat here as well. I am located in Sparta.
I can get them coming, but they just can't keep them committed to show them selves. Glad I found the section of PM.

So it is prime time in Wisconsin. Mix it up and you should have some luck. I took another male last weekend howling and I through in a little bit of a bird distress call. If your areas are like mine also try hunting in the woods. I have had luck using my ecaller placed up wind of my location about 75 yards on logging roads.

I've hunted in a few different areas of the country and can tell you the most pressure by leaps and bounds I've ever seen is in the buffalo and trempealeau county area where I call home. This time of year use more howling sounds, sit longer than most guys in other parts of the country, and most importantly find new land where others aren't already pounding.

Do you think that areas that get hunted with dogs are even worth calling? I'm here where they run their bear dogs almost every weekend.

Sawyer, Rusk, and Taylor. I have places to hunt in all three but it doesn't matter because everyone has bear dogs that they run coyotes with. I've been calling with no luck. You have any luck?

I've called in one double this year but wasn't able to connect. Every other set had been a zero.

I wanted to try up in Rusk county where I deer hunt as I see yote sign and hear them a lot in the fall. I deer hunt in the northwest part of the county on private land but near the large Rusk county forest. To be honest I don't know if there are bear hunters around running yotes as I don't make it up there a lot from Jan to March... But I have to assume there are because there are dog running bear hunters all over each fall.

I'm betting they are there. I have hunted around Ladysmith, north and south of there, and see them most weekends this time of year. I have an uncle who lives and hunts down by the Dells and also up by Ladysmith when he is around. He has never called one up north but shoots 5-6 a year down there.

I think you are correct. It has to have some effect. Dog runners claim that running bear will not affect bears hitting baits for bait sitters, and they may be right. How running with dogs effects coyote I have no idea.
There is a farm by my house that has at least 10 coyote hanging over the past two weeks. Glad they are getting them but I have to believe it make our jobs as callers very difficult

The dog runners that hunt around me have 73 as of Monday. I just hunt where they don't have permission to hunt as it is all most all private land here.

Back