BRAIN FARTS

Originally Posted By: 280fan Kinda on the same lines as far as loading and brain farts go. While working with some Marines in Viet Nam, during a firefight, one of their artillery crew managed to load the projectile backwards, another guy shoved in the powder casing and they slammed the breech block. Luckily nothing exploded but they definitely had a hangfire and a big mess. Including in their skivvies.
And what unit did this happen in?

Jack

It was on a ship, 5" naval gun. We had a platoon of Marines onboard and they were given a 5" mount to keep them occupied. I didn't see it happen, as I wasn't in the mount with them, but it was the talk of the ship for a few days. Somehow they got the projectile in backwards, placed the powder casing behind it and rammed it home. I said earlier they closed the breechblock, but after thinking back 45 years I remember they rammed it home, may not have closed the breech, may not have been able to. They were in the gun mount, I was in the gun director above them, so like I said, I didn't see it.

It wasn't a Marine thing, LOL, could have happened in any of the six 5" mounts, just happened in theirs. We got in quite a few shootouts off the coast of N. Viet Nam from having to go in really close to reach targets well inland. We'd get up in a bay or river mouth and they'd open up with shore batteries from all directions, then we'd have to shoot our way out, often firing port and starboard. It was a real adrenalin rush and a good situation to fumble occasionally.

As to what unit, it was the U.S.S. Newport News CA-148. A heavy cruiser with nine 8" guns in 3 turrets and twelve 5" guns in 6 twin mounts. We could reach 22 miles inland with the 8", and like I said often had to get in real close to reach bridges, trains, convoys etc that were well inland.

Any more questions?

I was pulling bullets one time one case had imr4350 and the other had h4831 I had a lot of them to do well after a couple of hours I noticed I was pouring them all in to the 4350 jug, ahhhhhh, I was scared to look in side well it was about half and half by then, well I ended up using to fire form some brass in my 300 worked out good.

Back