what's a zero diopter dot

vdub

I just bought a Nikon 4-12x40 and what is a 0 (Zero) Diopter Dot. Is it just for keeping the eyepiece in check.

I thought a diopter sight was a peep sight?
It's a peep within a peep, target goes in the circle?
other than that I don't know?

Originally Posted By: vdubI just bought a Nikon 4-12x40 and what is a 0 (Zero) Diopter Dot. Is it just for keeping the eyepiece in check.

It is the position for people that do not need glasses to see far distances. The "+" and "-" are reference points so you can come back to your setting if the eye piece gets moved.

Originally Posted By: vdub
That makes sense thanks.

Diopters are an optical measurement - and they are the inverse of the optical measurement of focal length, and it is based in meters.

One diopter is one meter (39.4").

2 dopters is 1/2 meter, 10 diopters is 1/10 of a meter.

So, if you are far sighted and need thick lenses, your glasses will be in "+" diopters - if you are near sighted, your glasses will be inn "-" diopters.

Diopters is also the way close up lenses for cameras are measured. A 2 diopter closeup lens will focus at 20" (1/2 of a meter) when the camera lens is at infinity. A 10 diopter closeup lens will focus at 4".

If you wear a +2 eye glass prescription, then setting the scope eye piece to +2 will allow you to see fine without fooling around with it (assuming that the scope maker calibrated his eyepieces properly).

I hope that makes your day
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: vdub
That makes sense thanks.

Diopters are an optical measurement - and they are the inverse of the optical measurement of focal length, and it is based in meters.

One diopter is one meter (39.4").

2 dopters is 1/2 meter, 10 diopters is 1/10 of a meter.

So, if you are far sighted and need thick lenses, your glasses will be in "+" diopters - if you are near sighted, your glasses will be inn "-" diopters.

Diopters is also the way close up lenses for cameras are measured. A 2 diopter closeup lens will focus at 20" (1/2 of a meter) when the camera lens is at infinity. A 10 diopter closeup lens will focus at 4".

If you wear a +2 eye glass prescription, then setting the scope eye piece to +2 will allow you to see fine without fooling around with it (assuming that the scope maker calibrated his eyepieces properly).

I hope that makes your day
lol.gif

That made my head hurt, guess I need to focus.
rolleyes.gif

Back