WSR primers in an AR Help

gracie2fish

I saw a post a few days ago regarding possible slam fires while using WSR primers and a AR. Is this a common problem? I had not heard of this before and I have loaded all of my 223 with WSR primers. Some are loads for my bolt gun and some are hunting loads for my AR. I've been through about 40 rounds with no issues and a friend of mine has used about 40 as well with no issues. Should I scrap these? Thanks.

A lot of people say it's best to use the magnum primers with a thicker cup for AR's. I never got the memo 16 years ago when I started loading for an AR and have used CCI 400's (standard sr) ever since. Given a choice, I'd use the thicker cupped ones now, but I'm not going to toss my regular ones either.

Originally Posted By: gracie2fishI saw a post a few days ago regarding possible slam fires while using WSR primers and a AR. Is this a common problem? I had not heard of this before and I have loaded all of my 223 with WSR primers. Some are loads for my bolt gun and some are hunting loads for my AR. I've been through about 40 rounds with no issues and a friend of mine has used about 40 as well with no issues. Should I scrap these? Thanks.
You are a lot more likely to be struck by lightning than have a slam fire with any properly loaded primer.

Jack

When I was shooting three gun and other action rifle competitions, I've only seen one slam fire that I knew was reloaded rounds with standard small rifle primers, and that was one of thousands of rounds...

Your realistic chances of that happening are extremely small and in that case, it could have easily been due to the primer not being properly seated...

While I don't worry about having one due to the primer type, I do concentrate on muzzle direction safety anytime I'm chambering a round, regardless of the weapon since it can happen with any of them due to mechanical failure...

That initial post may have been mine concerning the slam fire... I'm almost positive it was due to a primer that wasn't seated correctly. I'm using 5.56 brass with the tight primer pockets, and I likely didn't prep well enough, so the primer didn't seat well. I shot 100-150 this weekend and not a single issue.

Back