Bullet pulling question

redhorseshoe

Months ago I loaded several rounds for my 220 swift. I'm not happy with the accuracy I've been getting from them and want to tinker a bit. If I pull the bullets out using a collet puller (the kind that goes into the press like a die) will I need to neck size the brass before I replace the bullet? I want to pull the bullets to try different powder charges and seating depths.

I have done it alot and have not had any problems (hunting) but if I was target shooting I most likely would to help keep neck tension as close to the same as I could

they need to be neck sized after you pull any bullets if you want to develope a consistent load, neck tension makes a BIG difference....

By resizing the neck you also will probably stretch it again, depending on sizing equipment, and therefore change the length of the case. Like starting all over, might as well fire the thing and redo it from the top.

A while back I was given some reloaded ammo with a trade. This was 243 with new Norma brass. I just set them aside for a few years. I did notice the listed powder charge was at max or slightly above about all of my manuals. The COL looked long too.

Yes, the bullets contacted the lands in the rifle I checked them with. I used my Hornady 'collet' puller to pull the bullets. I reduced the powder charge & seated the bullets to a shorter COL.

I did not do anything beyond that. Bullet tension seems fine. These will be shot in a bolt action, I haven't tested any yet. You could try just a few & see how it's working out for you.

Originally Posted By: Droopyfur2By resizing the neck you also will probably stretch it again, depending on sizing equipment, and therefore change the length of the case. Like starting all over, might as well fire the thing and redo it from the top.

Huh???

Back