Large shot size?

Bernie P.

How large can I safely go with shot size using the load data listed in Lyman's manual?I have an older Shotshell Reloading manual that has loads up to BB shot for some loads but neither the older or current Lyman manual is shot size specific.All three of these manuals have separate chapters for buckshot loads but none say anything about loads for BBB,T,etc or draws where the line between BB and buckshot is.

I know it's important to follow the recipe exactly.My concern is mostly about the wads and what size shot needs to be stacked.I know 4 buck and larger must be stacked.

Don't know an answer to your question as they don't have tested data in that manual apparently, and anyone guessing at it is doing just that. Call up BPI immediately and order their manuals. They are the kings of all things in large shotgun pellets sizes.

Your shot size isn't that relevant its the charge weight that has to be precise. You may have to add a spacer going from load data with large pellets to small pellets because they take less volume in the wad/hull. If you are loading lead shot it can overflow the wad without ill effects.

NOTE!!!!! IF YOU ARE LOADING HTL ALL SHOT HAS TO BE MAINTAINED INSIDE THE WAD OR YOU WILL SCRATCH YOUR BARREL!!!

Mike that sounds like the way to go.Rhound what you say makes sense but adding a spacer will result in a pressure change.Definitely not something I want to experiment with.Thanks all!

You Tube has some excellent videos on loading buck shot, molding them, then patterning them.

Just do not put steel air rifle shot in a shot gun shell, the Steel bb's are harder than the gun barrel.

Keith

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.Mike that sounds like the way to go.Rhound what you say makes sense but adding a spacer will result in a pressure change.Definitely not something I want to experiment with.Thanks all!

A felt or cork 1/8" wad added to a load to make it crimp good will not add any pressure. If there is too much space in the wad and you don't get a good crimp you can get a blooper load because of low pressure.

Adding a felt or cork wad is much better than having a shallow,dished in crimp.

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.Mike that sounds like the way to go.Rhound what you say makes sense but adding a spacer will result in a pressure change.Definitely not something I want to experiment with.Thanks all!

When you are dealing with different size shot that take up different amount of space in the shotcup you have to pkay with spacers to get your correct crimp height. Spacers will not add pressure, if anything pressure will decrease with a softer fiber filler, because of more room for setback. The load with the smallest shot column will produce lower pressure than the long shot column due to more room for everything to move

Back