My New Redding 6x45 dies

KAG

I started loading tonight using my new Redding dies. I am loading 75gr V-max's. The seating die would not let me seat the bullet deeper than 2.266. I tried to get it right at 2.260 to give me a little better magazine clearance. No matter what I tried it would not let me go any deeper. All it did was crimp it harder after I screwed the die body down farther and I had hit the bottom on the bullet seater knob. I am thinking it is more than likely something to with the Vmax's Tip and such. Has Redding started making their dies to where you can not accidently seat them deeper than Min COAL?

My other Reddings never did this.

Constructive thoughts.....

I had the same problem with a set of there 222Rem dies! Made a call and they sent me a new seater plug and the problem was fixed, this was on a friday and he took one home and fixed it (seater plug)and sent it off to me on saterday, Great customer service!!! Give them a call and you will be taken care of.

Thanks....I just read the exact same thing on another reloading forum with a Redding die. I am sure you are correct, just hate it when I have to box up and ship something off thats brand new to get fixed.

Had the same problem they sent me a seater plug for a .22 caliber,
sneaky2.gif
They said I could send in the entire die and they would take care of the problem but I didnt want to wait.

I'll be damned!! I just had the same problem tonight and couldn't sleep just thinking about it. I sent a couple of PMs just to check my sanity. I'll be calling Redding in the morning.

I can't seat my 70 grain SBK's under 2.2830" with my Redding 6mm/.223 dies which definitely won't run in the Dtech due to mag length!

Thanks for posting KAG!

Edit: I was missing a '2' in my number. changed 2.830" to 2.2830".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: reddog964You wont have to send anything back, just call them and he will send you a new seater plug.

Thanks again, I will call them tofay.

Originally Posted By: 3807patriotHad the same problem they sent me a seater plug for a .22 caliber,
sneaky2.gif
They said I could send in the entire die and they would take care of the problem but I didnt want to wait.

Originally Posted By: BBsteelI'll be damned!! I just had the same problem tonight and couldn't sleep just thinking about it. I sent a couple of PMs just to check my sanity. I'll be calling Redding in the morning.

I can't seat my 70 grain SBK's under 2.830" with my Redding 6mm/.223 dies which definitely won't run in the Dtech due to mag length!

Makes me wonder if Redding is having some QC issues presently

Well, I called this morning and have another on the way. I do have the proper #6 seater plug in my 6mm/.223 seater die. I was directed to hold the number at the 12 o'clock position on the top of the plug to ensure it was a 6 and not a 9.

I had asked if this was a machining problem and the response was they can't keep up with all the new bullets coming out and he listed several they get calls on quite a bit including the new Hornady Leverevolution bullets.

They are sending me one that will seat the bullets deaper for me. I'm sure they'll put a little R&D into this as they get more calls on these dies of an increasing in popularity caliber (6x45).

I even had this die set nearly maxed out (Shell holder touching base of die and seater plug nearly threaded all the way in) to load 60 grain Sierra HP's to 2.240" OAL. This bullet is not as tapered as the 70 SBK.

Originally Posted By: BBsteel
They are sending me one that will seat the bullets deaper for me. I'm sure they'll put a little R&D into this as they get more calls on these dies of an increasing in popularity caliber (6x45).

The guy at Redding said it's a #23 seater plug. I've got one on the way.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: BBsteel

The guy at Redding said it's a #23 seater plug. I've got one on the way.

That rings a bell now. That's what they are sending me too. Although he did say the #6 is what is spec'd for them to supply.

The 6 I assume is for a 6mm bullet, The 23 is what comes with a .223 die set. In my 6X45 die the 6 seater plug bottoms out at the base before I run out of threads. Sending out the 23 seater plug is a stop gap measure for a bad die body.IMHO

I really don't think there is anything wrong with the die body. This cartridge was used extensively in long throated bolt guns for quite a while (and still is by some of us). With the increase in popularity of the tangential ogive bullets, coupled with magazine length restrictions; a longer seating stem is needed.
John

I called also and he said the die first introduced several years ago when it was a bolt gun round mainly they did not really take into account the the AR magazine. He said at that time producing a different seater plug was not done as the #6 with a .187 hole in the plug had been working well for bolt gun reloaders. He said that dies currently shipping will have the new plug in the future and that they would be looking at it. For AR15 shooters a #23 plug with a .220 plug hole was needed they to plan to start adding the #23 in the 6x45 dies sometime in the future. So you might plan on jut calling them if you order the 6x45 dies for AR reloading.Great people to talk to and absolutely zero hassle in getting the plug that I need.

Thanks again Reddog for the info

Last edited:
Pulling this from the archives as I just started to reload the 6x45. Apparently Redding has not started sending the smaller seating plugs/stems as mine was purchased a month or so ago and still has the #6 stem. Guess I'll be calling them tomorrow to see if they'll send me a smaller one!

In the mean time, I found that my .223 Lee seating die is able to get the bullets seated deep enough to fit in the magazine. Thank God for those 'cheap' Lee dies!
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: BBsteel

I can't seat my 70 grain SBK's under 2.2830" with my Redding 6mm/.223 dies which definitely won't run in the Dtech due to mag length!

Thanks for posting KAG!

I've been having this same issue for a year! Thanks for that!

Back