Any love for Sierra 40gr HP varminter in 22-250?

goose_boy

Has anyone run these fast in. 250? Thinking about ordering some to get cooking around 4000fps in a 26" 14 twist, looking for experience before I pull the trigger. Thanks guys

goose boy:

Lot of love here for the Sierra 40 gr. HP in my 22/250. It is an excellent and accurate bullet; seldom splashes compared to the 40 gr. Vmax, and just penetrates better compared to same.

They do well in a 1X14 and 1x12 twist, and even faster twists will shoot them accurately enough for hunting reliability.

I have used it for over 20 years on small/large OH groundhogs mostly, but there are guys who use them on coyotes with good effect. Work fine for the "closer" shots of up to 200 yards or more.

It is also a comforting bullet to use these around farm buildings etc where ricochet may be an issue (minimizes but does not negate this concern so be safe).

You will like em'; good hunting

Last edited:
Good deal, saw a supplier has them in stock but just got home from Scheels and they had a few boxes so I grabbed a box to try out. No worries for yotes, these will be for making prairie dog pink mist! They also had a box of 40gr vmax, but for a buck cheaper I'd much rather have the Sierras.

Back