What is the largest initial group that you shrunk to MOA or better?

spotshot

I loaded up some 162 grain A-Maxs and the first 5 shot group was about 2 1/2 inches. Should I continue to work on shrinking or is that too large to ever get to 3/4"? Most of my loads start at a lot smaller. I have a 7/08 with a 1:9.5 twist. It rated a 1.4 on the Berger stabilization formula.

Keep working on it what I like to do is start about .005 off the lands then when I find the right powder and charge I will mess with my seating depth and sometimes primers.

Originally Posted By: nastynatesfishSeat them in the case a bit. The amax in my7 mag like the jump. Have you tried a different primer?

No. I really just started. I was just seeing how much anyone has improved a load from start and what the size was that you just said "abort" on the initial group size.

I have been contemplating a similar question. Typically I don’t get groups to shrink that much, so I move on to a different bullet pretty quickly.

Originally Posted By: Matt N.I have been contemplating a similar question. Typically I don’t get groups to shrink that much, so I move on to a different bullet pretty quickly.

I know what you're saying . When components are as scarce and as high as they are now. I hate to waste a lot of money and resources if I'm never going to get to an acceptable level of performance.

Originally Posted By: redhorseshoeWhen I worked up a load for my 17 remington, groups went from about 2" to 1/4" with only changing the powder charge.

Thats what I was curious about. That is a huge gain. How much change in charge was that?

I start with a 7% decrease from book max and work up in .4 grn incremeants until I see pressure signs or reach max.

I load ten rounds at each increament and shoot for groups. The reason why I do ten rounds is incase I flub one group I have the next five to help insure a possible decent group. If all ten group well then I will reload some at that charge and work from there.

Different powders as well as different Bullets will make a difference in group size also.

[/quote] How much change in charge was that? [/quote]
1 grain lol. In my very limited experience with my 17 and a friend's 17, those little bullets are more affected by even subtle changes in powder charge.

How did you decide on that load? First do a load work up and find what your rifle likes (OCW, or ladder test) and then pick the load apart when you find the node. Its not going to do you any good to start changing seating depth and primers if your shooting 2.5 inches....thats what you do to cut that last little bit.

When I was developing a load for my 257 wby I just stuck with factory oal cuz I figured it wouldn't matter, well I was wrong after I got the groups down to .5 I shrank that group down to about .38 by just barely seating the bullet.

My Hornet used to shoot 2" groups, but with a trigger change, and the Lilgun/small pistol primer/Lee Collet Die combo, the gun now shoots sub-MOA.

Originally Posted By: bushyHow did you decide on that load? First do a load work up and find what your rifle likes (OCW, or ladder test) and then pick the load apart when you find the node. Its not going to do you any good to start changing seating depth and primers if your shooting 2.5 inches....thats what you do to cut that last little bit.

This is the best way

When I'm building test loads for my smaller calibers, I develop loads in .1gr increments,starting about one full grain below published max load...When I'm building test loads for larger calibers (.308) I build sets in .3gr increments...All bullets seated at published lengths with standard primers...

I know that others will use larger increments, but I worry about missing that 'one' that gives me a really good group (3/4" @ 100) since accuracy is my primary goal...

When I find that 'good' group, I generally quit, break down any other rounds and then start refining the load with work on seating depth, and then possibly trying a different level primer...

If, after the first round, I don't have a decent group in the .308, I'll play with powder charges on either side of my best group, or pair of groups...

Generally speaking, my really good groups usually fall in the .4-.7gr below published max loads, but that may just be my luck....

My process may be a little component heavy, but once I find a great load, I don't waste components on more experimentation....I'm ready to load and shoot...

I've used the same .204 and .223 loads since 2007...

Originally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachWhen I was developing a load for my 257 wby I just stuck with factory oal cuz I figured it wouldn't matter, well I was wrong after I got the groups down to .5 I shrank that group down to about .38 by just barely seating the bullet.

I'm curious as to what you mean by "just barely seating the bullet".......

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI'm a bit surprised why nobody has asked WHAT POWDER he is using.........

I was a little vague about the load. I was mostly interested what Loaders had done with large groups that turned into small groups. I was using Varget at 40 grains as the start up. I had researched what others were using as most accurate with that powder and weight and reduced by 5 or 6 %. After someone suggested the Ladder method, I studied that and will start using that as my development method.

Back