Montana wolf hunting just got a little easier!!!!!!!

mutthunter

The state just signed into law a new bill allowing 3 tags per hunter, lowering the out-of-state licencing fee to $50, allowing e-callers, eliminating the "buffer zones" around the national parks, and allowing hunters to leave the blaze orange at home(but only after big game season ends). This is the biggest and best step the state has taken to control the stinkin mutts since they introduced the things! Maybe next year they'll finally make the season year round, or better yet follow WYs lead and make em "shoot-on-sight". If you need me this weekend... you'll have to look in the woods (and you're gonna need to look really, really close!!!) If ya'll want to hunt wolves, c'mon up! We've got tons of em!

Thanx Red, I was so excited to get the word out that I missed it in the Pred Hunting section.

Chad, it's never too late to save a few elk! I've been too busy to do any scouting/hunting lately. But after thursday the 21st I've got the rest of the month off... and you know where I'll be. Our total lack of new snow makes it alot harder to track em down. But if I can narrow it down a bit, I'll let you know. It's always fun to hunt with someone new.

I understand that I would have to buy a wolf tag. Would I also have to have an annual hunting license as well? How does it work?

search Montana FWP Wolf Hunting regs. It's likely to be changimg soon, so keep an eye on it. It's explained pretty well in the non-res tag section. Let us know if you need anything else.

We are going to try to come to NW Montana to do some bear hunting next year and I would love to hunt wolves while we are up there.

Don't worry fellas, we'll still have plenty of the danged things left for ya next year.

Coyotenut- If you're bear hunting... you're wolf hunting as well. I've talked to a few guys that saw wolves while bears hunting. I doubt FWP will extend the wolf season to overlap with spring bear season(they hate doing things that would actually help control the wolf numbers around here), but it should be game-on in the fall.

mutthunter, I am on the other side of the divide from you. I hunt the Selway and Lolo areas IGF finally grew some, I got 5 tags per family member this season plus a trapping license. These things are Idahos #1 poacher. we're gonna make a dent this year.

where you at? I cross over to Missoula now and again we should compare notes?

Dan brothers,

I just got them for this season. I did get 2 coyotes last Saturday. I been hunting the big canyons lots of calling and moving, long range stuff. How about you been doing any good?

Originally Posted By: Body Countmutthunter, I am on the other side of the divide from you. I hunt the Selway and Lolo areas IGF finally grew some, I got 5 tags per family member this season plus a trapping license. These things are Idahos #1 poacher. we're gonna make a dent this year.

where you at? I cross over to Missoula now and again we should compare notes?
They're our #1, #2, and #3 poachers! I'm up in the Flathead, but we hunt mainly between Kalispell and Troy, and the Plains area a bit. I'm all for doing anything we can do to help keep their numbers under control. Feel free to PM me anytime. Let's do more than just make a dent;)

Originally Posted By: BailDid you see how many live stock they've killed? I had no idea that was going on that bad.
The sad part is, those numbers are only what Fish n Game has investigated and is sure of. In talking to local ranchers, especially sheep ranchers, those numbers are only about 2/3 of the actual amount killed. The FWP in MT has to pay the ranchers for livestock lost to wolves. Since FWP is already hurting for money (largely due to a drop in out-of-state hunting tags sold, because out game populations are taking a nose-dive, mainly due to wolves...) They look for any excuse they can find to stiff the ranchers on payment. I've heard domestic dogs get blamed for a lot of it, which is pretty funny, because there's not too many wild dogs running around MT big enough or brave enough to take most livestock... Like none. At least FWP seems to be realizing that they've shot themselves in the foot, and are trying to fix the problem, sorta.

Back