Savage Axis 22-250

Crowsniper.17HMR

I am looking to buy the Savage Axis 22-250. Standard trigger and barrel. $297.00. I was wondering if anyone has one or your opinion on this particular gun.

I looked at one about a year ago and shyed away because of 2 reasons..first was the trigger, it was super STIFF! The second reason was the action is only offered as a long action and when you cycled the bolt to feed a second round in it would try and push 2 into the chamber...for the money its not a bad deal though. Just my $.02 here but IMO i would go no shorter than a 24" barrel for a .22-250 because that caliber is all about speed and a short barrel is defeating the purpose of having a speedy cartridge.....hope this helps

Heck of a gun for the money, I had one in .223. Shooters for sure.

Ugly-check
Crappy trigger-check
Light-check
Accurate-check
Easy on the wallet-check

I just shot one today in 308.Rifle functioned real well.Trigger was bad.I am going to work up some loads for the rifle,,it belongs to a buddy.It will be fun to see what we can get out of this inexpensive gun.He won it at an NRA dinner.

Originally Posted By: Crowsniper.17HMRBought her today....got to get her scoped.

Ya done good!
thumbup.gif

i have not shot the 22-250 version, but have shot the 243 and for the price it is hard to beat, right at a inch with factory ammo, ive had guns that cost a lot more not shoot that good, i think your like it a lot.

I would like to have one in 243 . And one in 25/06 . I like my 223 so well.
Mine feeds like a hungry coyote. Yes it's a long action but so what.. It works well. Don't fix it

Rifle Basix now makes a fully adjustable aftermarket trigger for the Axis. About $90.

Yes, it kind of defeats the purpose of a low priced rifle like the Axis to add an aftermarket trigger, but think it through for a second. For just slightly less than $400, it options that shoot as good as the Axis is reported to AND have an adjustable trigger are few and far between.

Grouse

I just got my Savage 22 250 axis , for $ 277. Really like it . And for that kinda price .

Now i'm looking to scope it . 3x9x40. Just don't wanna pay more for a scope than i paid for the rifle.

Any advice on what to get??

I got the savage axis predator in 22 250 and a bushnell scope came on it. Its actually not a bad scope but I plan on putting a coyote special on it sometime. I like it once I finally got it to shoot and the trigger didnt really bother me, I didnt notice that it pulled too hard.

I've put 2 of the Rifle Basics triggers in for a friend with a 22-250 and a 25-06 and it made a world of difference. Quick and easy to do yourself and it makes that Axis into one heck of a gun for under $400. Great gun for money!!!

Originally Posted By: Curdogs3006I just got my Savage 22 250 axis , for $ 277. Really like it . And for that kinda price .

Now i'm looking to scope it . 3x9x40. Just don't wanna pay more for a scope than i paid for the rifle.

Any advice on what to get??

Good buy at www.Natchezss.com for a Weaver 40/44 aspherical lens scope 2.8-10x44 or 3.8-12x44 for $120 or less. Should sell for around $180. Very good optics in them....own the 3.8-12x44, which is an A.O. model, and I'd not hesitate to buy another if I didn't want my scopes to have at least 18 power for my target shooting.

Another good buy on a scope is at Graf and Sons. The BSA Majestic DX Hunter scopes. Own 3 of them. Grafs has them on sale. Yea, its a BSA scope, but I've been pretty satisfied with the 6-24x44 side focus Majestics I own. Decent optics, clear at max power and etc. Most sell it for around $140, what I paid for my first two and then bought 3rd when Graf put it onsale for around $90. Lower powered Majestics are less.

I've got one in 22-250 pretty good shooter. shots 1" with Hornady superperformance 50gr.

The trigger is pretty stiff from the factory. I clipped 1 coil off the factory spring and its better.

I bought the rifle/scope combo. It's ok for 100yrds. You get what you pay for with scopes. I will be replacing it soon. For reasonable prices I like Nikon and Vortex.

Buy a Redfield 4-12 with Accu-Range and you will never be sorry. To get everything out of your 22-250 I wouldn't go with less than 12 power on the top.

Back