Camo ???? Whats your input

Bob Addy

I've had several comments about my camo or the lack of it while calling. In this pick, what you see is what I used. Only thing camoed are my sticks and the Purple Swift. This yote was taken in the Oklahoma Panhandle over the weekend and was shot within driving distance to it. As you can see the country is pretty open but has lots of sage and yuccas. My favorite calling set up is next to a yucca clump. This yote was also shot at about 11am, nice and sunny and was coming up wind at about 80 yards. I still feel that setup placement and movement are more important than covering yourself head to toe in camo. Curious as to how you hunters feel about the camo thing.

faa77862.jpg

personally i would change to tan pants and add some tan striping to my shirt with spray paint or strips of tan cloth with hot glue gun using the green as a background or you could go vice versa. it is a make your own camo to match your KNOWN set area. otherwis i stick with mossy oak shadow grass or realtree hardwoods.my 2 cents.

awesome!! my 2 cents.. bob.. you've never suffered for lack of camo..lol! i've been down south of sterling city again here lately.. nothing.. did you kill em all? hahaha.. no bobcats or deervarmints either.. but i'll keep trying. i had a beautiful view opening day.. on the south ridge of north china draw.. beautiful foggy morning.. watched the fog lift.. then the wind started in.. i headed back north to wilson.. hahaha.. but.. i'll be back!

was shot within driving distance to it.
Is that a long shot or is it with-in spitting distance? I started hunting with a rancher last year that wore blue coveralls and a black stocking cap and no camo on his face or gun. Said that he had called and killed a fair share of coyotes in his time doing it that way. I like to wear camo from head to toe, although for those hard charging coyotes, I don't think it matters what I wear, but it gives me confidence on the slow coming coyotes, that no matter how hard it looks at me, it won't make me out, so as long as it don't smell me, I'm still in the game for a close standing shot! I also feel that a caller might get away with a little movement while wearing camo, that other wise might spoil the deal sometimes, BUT, movement at the wrong time in camo will spoil the deal too sometimes!

Hey Bob,

I totally agree with you that stand selection and no movement is the key. I camo up and my favorite patterns for this part of the country are

1) Prairie Ghost made by Montana Camo, Inc.

2) NatGear

3) '91 Desert Storm (6 color)

Depends on the weather (and what needs to be washed) but most of the time I'm decked out with a mixture of all three.

For November hunting in the shin oak sands with the leaves turning, nothing can hold a candle to Mossy Oak Fall Foliage...too bad they quit making it.

I think you can be "totally invisible" with camo and it won't get you anything unless you have good stand selection and keep movement down to a slow bare minimum.

Heck, there isn't a handful of people in the whole USA that shoots more coyotes and bobcats than you do. Keep up the good work...I wouldn't change a thing if I had your success.

Bob like I told you on the chat you are not human. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You break all the rules and kill more crap than I see dead on the road.

Rule#
1. Cover your skin.
2. Dont wear sunglasses
3. Were colors that have the same contrast as the area your hunting.
4. And for heavens sake dont go out with a purple gun.

You broke all four. I dont know how you do it. But you did it. Im not worthy, Im not worthy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

But to answer your question, I have paid too much money for hunting videos to throw out their advice. I do cover up my hands and face. I have sensitive eyes and always have sunglasses on but I do not ever wear them on the stand. I know that RealTree forest camo is not made for West Texas but its all wally world had. I am looking at splurging for some Natural Gear this year. It blends in with my environment better than any out on the market. Hell I lost purdygood one time. I dont like dark green camo up against tan grass and mesquites.

Just my two

Bob. As T.J. pointed out. You break all the rules I hold sacred, But you do it so well.

I have been a camo freak since I was a kid. I had to make my own then. Later on I.was a instructor on a camouflage, And concealment course in the Army. I saw how large objects, And many men could be made to seem to disappear. In short I just plain love camo.

Do you need it to kill Coyotes. I think you answer that question every time you go out. Like 90% of what is involved in calling Coyotes. It does not need to be argued about. What ever makes the man on the stand feel confident is just what he should be doing.

There just Dogs, And I hope there hungry when I sit down.

Bob, your a smart man. As you can see marketing works lol. Have fun with this one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I think that the camo helps me because I don't sit too still, sometimes. Especially when I am hearing things that I hope are coyotes, usually squirrels. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif (I hunt alot in the hardwoods.)

I can say that I have had coyotes come into a call within 15 yards of me, look and not notice me. I like the leafy suits, simular to a real cheap guilly.

Maybe I need a purple stock, sunglasses, and blue jeans. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Don't get me wrong guys, I have a vast assortment of Realtree, Bushlan (my favorite), Mossy Oak and others. I like to get out once in awhile with just plain colors like what I had on. What can I say, I'm different,,,,LOL. Heck, it was too hot to put a jacket on !!!
Once in a great while I'll even use a head net. My point is, we can get by with plain solid colors that tend to match our surroundings, hence the green shirt to match the yuccas and brown wranglers the ground. Back in the 80's when I started calling, very little camo was available and we still killed a lot of yotes. Boy, have we made Bill Jordan and others filthy rich!!!!!!!! I had shot this yote in an area that I could drive up to it. The others were far from the truck in river breaks.

Bob you have a point there. I remember hunting deer when I was a kid and camo was just a "broke up" pattern. Awwww, the simple days. I remember back when we used to sit at a windmill all day and wait on the deer to come into water. Feeders were 5 gallon cans that you sat in the tree, and the deer didnt have time to routine themselves. Now we find ourselves armed with spotting scopes and video cameras, rifles, optics, range fiders, rattling horns, deer grunts, we basically move into our blinds. Im guilty of that. Its easy to forget how simple it has to be. As said above you and even others prove that given the game the upper edge may put "fair chase" back into the equation. I guess with evotlution comes change and with change comes different rules. But guys like yourself prove that it dont have to be that complicated.

But damn its hard to leave that camo behind. I just feel like if I dont have it on I might as well be butt naked sitting on the highest point. Its just a mental thing.

I hear ya Tommy. With all the hi-tech gizzmos I have, its nice to just get back to the basics, A Tally HO, the Swift, some shooting sticks and the freedom of a pasture to get out and stalk around. No blinds , feeders, shooting chairs or any of the electronic stuff. Keep it simple

I can't tell you whats in a coyote mind when they come into your stand but if I saw that gun from 200 yds. I would think " What the heck is that purple thing" and come investigate.

I hope you got time for my sence of humor Bob

i never use camo- i dont have any! but there is no real need in my opinion i just wear drab coloured clothes like greens greys blacks ect. doesnt seem to impair me aslong as you keep still and quiet. thats just my opinion

Bob, you obviously don't know what you are doing.
You ABSOLUTELY MUST cover your face and hands.
NO bright colors!!!
Your gun MUST be camoed.

Violate any of these rules and you will NEVER kill a coyote!

fae5e364.jpg

PS: I PREFER as complete camo cover as possible. In some instances it helps the odds.

Bob, here is my take on the camo thing.

Camo is just another aid to help prevent being detected. As you stated, you like to lean against a yucca. You are using the yucca as something to camoflage your human form. Most camaflage paterns blotch together at longer distances and look like a solid color. I believe the closer they get the more camo pays off. Camo doen't have to be a camo pattern made by one of the major company's it can be as simple as a drab shirt, and drab pants. The most important thing is to break up the human form. I have called in tons of coyotes wearing a tan Carhart jacket and blue jeans but I always try and get something at my back to break up my outline. Now that I'm filming and trying to get the best video footage I can I use everything I can to keep from being detected, and I beleive camo or anything else that helps you blend in to the environment helps.

Good Hunting

Byron /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Woodcock, I've nearly had them in my lap running to the Purple gun. I think they were trying to see if it was grape flavored,,,,LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!
Just a little sense of humour going here.
CG, it's a shame we break the rules of the game and never call in or kill any yodel pups,,LMAO. Heck, I didn't know we had any rules.

I've been looking at a lot of pictures of callers from the 50's and 60's lately. Very few, if any, wore much camo then. Seems like "sit down and hold still" was good enough. Were the coyotes just a lot less leery back then? Could be, but if instinct is a product of evolution, then maybe 50 years of education has made the coyote's reaction to the human form more intense. Camo is a definite advantage (no pun intended) for me.

Wearing camo raises my level of confidence. The more confidence I have, the more productive the stand, usually. I don't think you need it and I'll ditto what others are saying here...Bob, you da man. But for me it's as easy to use as getting dressed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Well, I got suckered into buying all this darn camo, so I'm going to wear it for something! I've never tried calling without camo, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work (of course Bob here proves it). I figure that if you cover up your shiny face, hands, and gun parts, and keep movement to a minimum, you'll do fine. But then you wouldn't look as cool in your hero shots! Gotta love that camo, just 'cuz. I think it does help on the slow, sneaky ones that have been "pre-educated." It's just one more facet of the whole process of calling.

Back