sighting in a 3x9x40 bushnell scope

Newhunt

Hi,

ok as can see from this being my first post, I'm a newbie.

Well like any newbie always buy what see so many say is best rifle for the job. I have a new 22-250 with a bushnell 3x9x40 scope.

I've read several conflicting posts on how to best to sight in the variable adjustments but it just confused more helped. 3X-9X ???

I get the basic understanding but can someone help? I'm not looking for some scientific per bullet/grain/brand yadadada.

I just want to shoot straight! Can someone please help with overall review and quick how to sight it in. We're heading to field tomorrow to get it squared away.

thanks,
B

put your rifle on a solid rest, pull the bolt out, look thru the barrel...find a street light or stop sign or fencepost thru your barrel...now click your scope over so that it is looking at the same object. When you get in the field... put your target at 50 yds and shoot...this will get you on paper and lined up, then move your targets out to 100 and do the same...you should be able to accomplish this with less than 5 rounds.

Hi Newhunt. And welcome to the forum.

Here's my method for sighting in a new gun/scope...

1) Make sure that your scope is properly mounted, aligned (bore-sighted) and secured on your rifle.
2) Determine your sight-in distance (usually 100 yards).
3) Place your target in a safe location at the sight-in distance.
4) Shoot from a stable platform (preferably a shooting table) with the use of sandbags, bi-pods, etc. to stablize your rifle as much as possible to minimize movement.
5) Confirm the range is safe...and take your first shot with the crosshairs directly over the target. (see Step #1)
6) Assuming the bullet did not hit the target as expected (high and to the right in my example), go out to the target mark the bullet location with a small circle using a black marker.
7) Return to the bench and confirm that the riflescope's crosshairs are on the target where you initially aimed--NOT on the point of impact. Now, with the crosshairs stablized on the target, adjust your windage (left/right) and elevation (up/down) so that crosshairs cover the bullet hole. (see Step #2)
8) Now, reposition the rifle so that the crosshairs are over the target and take your second shot.
9) Your second shot should land on target (see Step #3)
10) Fine tune as needed by tweaking the windage and elevation a click or two.

Hope this helps. Good luck and be safe!

sightin.jpg

That is basically what I do. However, I shoot a few shots. Maybe 3. Then dial scope to "center" of said grouping. Then hold back on original target.

Truth is though, I have no problem just clicking over to where I want. This is how most(if not all) instruction manuals say to do it. However, it is not the easiest way for a new shooter, IMO.......

Back