.17 Winchester Super Magnum

emmac13

This is a new rimfire that came out this year. Savage jumped aboard to make rifles in this caliber. MSRP $350. I read it's muzzle velocity is 3000fps. 4-5 inch drop at 200yrds. And in a cross wind of 10mph it only drifts 7-8 inches. Much improved over the hmr. And a possible 25grn bullet. Ammo will be $17 per 50 rounds. What are your thoughts? Will this be a good option for a coyote gun? Same price as an Axis but cheaper shooting.

Originally Posted By: emmac13Will this be a good option for a coyote gun? Same price as an Axis but cheaper shooting.

You're a little late to the party. This new sucker has been discussed in numerous threads here already. But that's ok. What's one more eh.

Now my thoughts are, if a guy is considering this 17WSM stickily based on what the ammo is going to cost shooting at coyotes, I say get a small center fire.

If he is shooting at so many coyotes he needs to worry about what he is spending on ammo, he's one lucky SOB. I wanna live there too.

I think .17 calibers are a little undergun for coyotes. People use them and they can get the job done. I think an Axis, or even better, one of their other bolt actions in a 223 or 22-250 is going to be a much better all around coyote gun than a .17 rimfire.

I am not talking trash at all about it. A .17 WSM will be my next rimfire and I look forward to trying one out, but I wont be shooting coyotes with it.

Sorry I was late to the party. LOL. I no how a lot of people feel about the hmr for yotes. I have an Ar15. I just thought it looked like a sweet performing rimfire. I though it might be a great gun for townships. Areas where farmland and housing developements coexist.

Originally Posted By: Matt N.$17 for 50? I cant get good 22 mag ammo for that right now!

You can't get 17WSM for that right now either. You can't even get it for half that right now. Come to think of it, you can't get it at all right now.

We shall see what the price REALLY is after it's actually available.

Last edited:
Midway has it listed, but out of stock. Pre-emptive strike to be sure, but I assume that's the release price that's been worked out.

Originally Posted By: Matt N.$17 for 50? I cant get good 22 mag ammo for that right now!

Midway is already listing it at $15.99 and I don't think many of us buy ALL of our ammo at Midway, right?

Its not my intention to burst anyone's bubble in regard to the 17WSM. I've hunted coyotes for more than 30 years and the 17WSM, IMHO, would be a poor choice for that task. Cheaper shooting doesn't equate with hunting success. I'm not saying someone couldn't kill a coyote with this rimfire with a well placed shot at close range. But coyotes don't always play by our playbook and the temptation to take shots beyond the effective range would most often result in a wounded coyote running off and dying a slow, agonizing death. This rimfire was intended for dispatching pests, small game and plinking and the bullets have thin walls designed to blow up quickly on impact rather than for deep penetration. In conclusion, its a difficult task to turn a rifle cartridge into something it was never designed for.

Originally Posted By: ScotIts not my intention to burst anyone's bubble in regard to the 17WSM. I've hunted coyotes for more than 30 years and the 17WSM, IMHO, would be a poor choice for that task. Cheaper shooting doesn't equate with hunting success. I'm not saying someone couldn't kill a coyote with this rimfire with a well placed shot at close range. But coyotes don't always play by our playbook and the temptation to take shots beyond the effective range would most often result in a wounded coyote running off and dying a slow, agonizing death. This rimfire was intended for dispatching pests, small game and plinking and the bullets have thin walls designed to blow up quickly on impact rather than for deep penetration. In conclusion, its a difficult task to turn a rifle cartridge into something it was never designed for.
thumbdown.gif
They are ethical,you just have to be patient and have control and shoot at spots not fill the scope with Fur and Fire!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wachtelhund1This is pretty pricy ammo. I've been stocking up on .22 mag ammo and just bought 10 boxes of Federal 40gr JHP at $9.95 each.

There is a price point where experienced shooters will not go for rimfire ammo - you get close to that and more and more think "reloading". If the 17 WSM is cheap enough, it is attractive, but if the price keeps climbing, then the 17 Hornet starts looking like the better deal, with more power and more bullet choices, and (potentially) more accuracy. And if the experienced shooters don't take to it, then it will not be a financial success.

As far as availability of the ammo -

I was told at the SHOT Show that the intention with this cartridge was to have the ammo on the shelves at all potential vendors at least one full month, preferrably two, prior to the Savage being released.

In my opinion this is a smart move. People will buy the ammo anticipating buying the gun, guaranteeing sales on both ends, or people will see the ammo and it will raise interest in the new caliber on the market. Not to mention it will be a caliber in which you can purchase ammo which is readily available!

Back