Newbie here...bobcat or coyote?

Huskerfur

Hey guys I am new here...wondering if you could help me out. I am trying to live trap bobcats and found this scat close to my set. Wondering what your thoughts are on whether it is bobcat or coyote scat? Thanks for you help.
2012-12-11_16-18-14_64_zpsb36866dc.jpg

If there are no tracks, it may be very difficult to tell. I would say that if there is any plant, or insect matter in it, it is probably NOT bobcat.

Size can be a clue, but how to you tell the difference between a small coyote and a large bobcat? If it is covered it is likely cat.

Cats are not going to eat much in the way of grasshoppers, berries, grapes, or anything with seeds in it.

If it has feathers good chance it is cat.

I have found bobcat scat that was not covered maybe it was and the wind blew the debree off but looking at the cat scat I have seen and whats in the picture I would say its a coyote for sure.

Coyote, the cat crap I've seen is sectioned like a tootsie roll
smile.gif
and I've found cat crap uncovered in a logging road. Tootsie rolled and tracks to verify.

just saw some on the side of a back road saturday morning, uncovered, and wasn't really tootsie rolled. unmistakeable tracks leading up to and away from.

Likely Coyote, or a domestic dog with some extra 'fiber' in its diet (note possible grassy vegetation visible between the links). Like Yellowhammer mentioned, plant parts/seeds, etc usually keep it out of the cat family.. also not normally in domestic dog poop either. Smaller scat could also be from a fox... or maybe a weiner dog.

Hey there fellow Husker. As many have already stated, bobcat scat is typically full of fur and feathers and usually mostly covered, while coyote scat tends to be more continuous and has a greater variety of contents. Also, I find about 30 times the amount of coyote scat than cat scat, though cats are plentiful (likely b/c cat scat is usually covered). Luckily, cats are easier to trap. I wish you the best of luck!

Back