How's the hunting been this year guys.

roode301

Well let's hear it has it been a good year so far or bad.
Around here the night calling has been pretty good. The one group of hound hunters I know is up to 40 something. They are not the most law following group of guys. But 40 dead since DEC is not bad for here.

So let's hear it. I think this year is a good one so far.

the cat hunting here has been great, as long as you avoid the wolves. Too many guys I know have lost dogs. But the snow conditions have been alright and cat numbers are good. No complaints from me!

We are having fun. Most called/decoyed coyote kills (20) I have ever had. Only one treed cat. Hoping for some more as their are a few days left. This crusted snow sucks though!

Wish we had cats here. The only cats we have is ferral that we can hunt. Some do get pretty large budy shot one calling and it weighed 20lbs if I could find a pic I would post it. Sucker was huge but not worth a penny.

So,so. I'm on my last big hunt of the year and have been snowshoeing through a foot of snow and deep drifts. Three days of hunting produced one free coyote (rancher shot it 4 days ago) and one came in to check Dash out. I've been seeing snow machine tracks everywhere and yesterday they zipped by me on the way to a stand. A guy on snowshoes can't compete with machines so I moved 50 miles to where the snow is spotty. Sleds don't like bare ground.

I'm hoping to end the season with 50 or so which is half of my goal. I've seen more coyote hunters this year than the last 20 years combined. The dogs are getting very call shy.

ive killed around 30 since January. been pretty good here. still have a few ranches to take care of that are covered up so i hope that number goes up dramatically.haha

Hunting has been great. Shooting not so much. I got a couple of guys trapping in my usual areas. Seems like every time I walk to a stand I can see a trap. Sometimes I think about what a pain in the butt it must be lugging those traps back there and laugh. Cages only on public land here in AZ. Sure is nice to be out getting some sunshine though.

I don't know about anyone else but the cats are very sparse this year. Only called and killled 3 so far. Very unusual.

Kilt a few coyotes.

This has been my best year predator hunting and first year with a dog (Rex). I've put more yotes down than any of the previous years. I've also gone quite a bit more too, but I think having Rex has help out a lot and made for more chip shots than previous years. Ended up with a double on Monday that never would have happened without Rex.

It has been o.k. here. I haven't killed as many this year as I have in the past but I haven't hunted as much either. I had to put most of my time into this place getting it ready to sell.

Last edited:
Been pretty good for me.
Got four Cats but only one was treed.
It was a goodun though.
005ooi.jpg

Also got four Coyotes which is unusual for me since I don't target em with my traps and seldom hunt em any more.

Our season ended Saturday so I'm off to the fur buyer tomorrow.
Hope all the stories about ridiculously high Cat prices I keep hearing are true.

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKOriginally Posted By: roode301Sucker was huge but not worth a penny.

Still fun for Man & Dog. (-:

It's a well known fact around here that I'll gladly wreck a brand new pick-up to get a shot at a feral.
grin.gif

We're doing good with the hounds in Niagara peninsula in Ontario.
We're up to 54 coyotes so far this winter and should get over our highest of 70.
We're running walkers,plotts and foxhounds.

Originally Posted By: RePeteBeen pretty good for me.
Got four Cats but only one was treed.
It was a goodun though.
005ooi.jpg

Also got four Coyotes which is unusual for me since I don't target em with my traps and seldom hunt em any more.

Our season ended Saturday so I'm off to the fur buyer tomorrow.
Hope all the stories about ridiculously high Cat prices I keep hearing are true.

That is a NICE looking cat.

Back