223 brass converted to 6x45

Field Medic

Curious the process of converting the once fired 223 casings to 6x45.. Having a 6x45 built as I write this and would like to hear from those that are in the know.. This will be a new experience for me so any and all info and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. Looking at the neck of the 223 case it looks really thin to be stretching for that 6mm pill.. ??

It's simply running a 223 case through a 6x45 die. Nothing more. I prefer the long, tapered expanders to get it started easier.

Pahntr thanks for responding!!! Please bare with me... Expanders?? Do these come with the die set??? Do you loose a lot of 223 brass extending the neck?? It looks real thin... This is all new to me wiith "wildcat rounds" .. Is there a book or net site I can study??? Thanks again, trying to learn as much I can prior to loading for my new build... I appreciate the patience..

The expander is the ball or enlarged diameter on the decapping rod that brings the inside neck diameter back up to proper size after the sizing die reduced it during the sizing process. Tapered works best because it starts the process gently instead of all at once.

When the current crisis ends, I plan to put together an AR15 in 6x45 to use as a deer/predator rifle. I like the ides of inexpensive .223 brass and the improved lethality of the 6mm bullets. I will probably use 85 grain Sierra BTHPs.

The 6X45mm is a good "wildcat" to learn with as it as simple as it gets. Buy a Redding 6mm/223 die and I am sure other brands are fine then as Pantr760 said just lube and size it and it is that simple. Trim if necessary then shoot and repeat. There is good data pinned at the top of the relaoding forum thanks to pcammo and that should get you going.

There is almost zero loss of brass going from 224 to 243. I open 204 ruger cases to 257 with little loss, mostly due to flaws in the brass. People routinely take 224 up to .308 and beyond

Grab a set of Redding 6x45 dies it has the tapered ball.
Easy as running em in the die & load.
I run the 85g sierra gkhp & 95g nosler HBT for antelope.
My 200 yard coyote target below, (65g vmax/55g CT) are all .700" or less.
Super accurate caliber.
Left to right .700"/.570"/ 55g CT .640"
200ydcoyote001.jpg

Back