Question on a dog cross

roode301

Have any of you guys tried a birddog{GSP}curr cross. If so were they any good or know of anybody that has tried it. Was just sitting here watching my GSP and curr cross play and was thinking. He is so smart and has tons of drive and well she is a curr.

My GSP was the same way. Tons of hunt drive. He was by far the best hunting dog I had ever owned. I have been told that some guys have crossed their bird dog with other dogs. My GSP would thrash a coyote hide when he had the chance. I used him to train Tug as a pup.

I know the guys down in Texas that run hogs use quite a bit of bird dog in their crosses, GSP or English Pointers usually crossed with BMC's. So, you are on to something there, a very high prey drive animal for sure.

A bonus is the general health of those dogs is excellent, like most using type dogs they are bred to be used hard and haven't been bred extensively for show. good hips, eyes, elbows etc.

I have a LabxGSP that I run with my Plott hounds on occasion, the most recent ground catch we had, he was the one who made the kill.

Craig you are correct. The GSP's were bred to chase any kind of fur or feather that they were trained on. I wish I had trained my GSP to decoy coyotes, he would have been pretty good I think. Maybe next time.

I think the athleticism and endurance that a GSP would add to a cur cross would be beneficial to you. The GSP's that I have hunted with have seemed like very intelligent dogs and are focused hunters.

I think you could do really well with this cross depending on how you focus the training.

Last edited:
I have seen some bully bird and bird cur crosses down here and they do well. One placed really well in a bay pen comp I was at. From my understanding the goal is to get the range, stamina, and drive from the GSP and the herding/grit from the others.

Check out ETHD... they have discussed the cross a lot there.

Back