what do yall think of the winchester 1300?

243varmiter

A buddy of mine short on cash wants to sell me his winchester 1300 for $300 at that price its worth a gamble I figured, but id like to see what you all thought of it seems how I've hardley even heard of it. It's got a cheap scope on it now and a slug barrel

If you can get it for $300, do yourself and your buddy a favor and buy it...

I've had mine for several years and it's accurate and reliable..I had mine tapped for a Modified Choke since it came with a Cylinder bore...

Winchester1300RightSide.jpg

Originally Posted By: WvYotehunter65I had a turkey edition 1300 and loved it, 3 inch mag with number 4 and it patterned all the way out to 55 yards tightly.

I still have my 1300 Turkey, and it is a great turkey gun. Although I have pretty much switched over to semi-autos, it will throw a pattern every bit as good as anything I've ever used. Buy it.

I like my 1300 20ga well enough, even though it is a heavy sob built on a 12ga frame with a 28 inch vent rib barrel.

I believe I paid under $300 for it brand new at Walmart a number of years ago. It's a real shame they stopped making them. I'd like to get my hands on a 12ga Defender model with the wood stock, always thought they were snazzy looking.

My son has killed a number of turkeys with his 1300 over the past 22 yrs. and loves it. It's a very good solid gun. I have one myself that I bought used several years ago and keep for a back-up shotgun to my Browning pump for turkey. The trigger assembly on it has some plastic parts which has some creep in the trigger pull that I don't like, but I've never replaced the trigger assembly. I keep a red dot scope on it and use it for predators occasionally. Both pattern well with just about any turkey load we've put through them.

I have a camo deer/turkey model. Has rifle sights and no vent rib. It is my go to turkey/predator shotgun. Had it about 22-24yrs now. Bought it NIB for about $300.

The 1300 cycles quickly. Faster than a 870. They used to market it as the "speed pump". Under-rated gun IMO....

I have a 1300 deer/turkey advantage camo. It has the smoothbore with rifle sights. It shoots foster style slugs well and with a hastings xf .665 and fed 3" 6s it is lights out on gobbler noggins!!! I have a multi-reticle red dot on it and it works great.

I wouldn't sell mine for $300 even though I don't gunhunt deer anymore and use an auto for turkeys now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WvYotehunter65I had a turkey edition 1300 and loved it, 3 inch mag with number 4 and it patterned all the way out to 55 yards tightly.

I wish I had mine back

The $300 price tag seems far to both you and your buddy. I like helping people out that need some cash and are willing to part with a gun.

I cant really chime in on the $300 price tag, but I have the Winchester SXP, which is the new version of the 1300. I really like the gun. Super smooth action, very fast cycling, and it patterns very well. I really like the "assisted cycling." Although it did kinda throw my rhythm off a little at first!

I'm shooting a 1300 ranger I bought back in the 80's. Lighter than my 870 due to the aluminum receiver and works great in the field. Barrels are hard to come by, especially shorter barrels. I picked up a 22" WinChoke(with extra-full choke) this last summer and love it.

If it's a standard 1300 with good wood than $300 sounds fair. If it's a Ranger than it might be a bit high but in the grand scheme of things any good shotgun is worth $300. And any of the 1300's fill that bill.

Note: If your buddy has a short WinChoke barrel on the gun then $300 is a STEAL.

I shot the black 1300 for 10 years or so. IT grew on me, and I fired a lot of steel shot and slugs through it. Great gun. I'll never get rid of it.

But its now in the safe, [beeep] Benelli.

I bought mine after shooting my first waterfowl triple with a buddies 1300. Never been happier with a shotgun. I have been shooting mine for 3 seasons now.

Back