Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2429415 - 02/10/13 02:04 PM High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them.....
DesertGhost Offline
Seasoned Member

Arizona Trappers Association sale was this weekend. I think the top bobcat was $1350 there were several that went well over $1K. Several guys averaged over $650 this year. A bunch of cats in the $700-800 range. One guy had a 31 inch cat sell for over $600 (single pelt).

The next sale in Arizona is the Kingman Fur Sale (bobcat pelts only sale). I will be taking several pelts of my own up there, along with pelts from guys all across the country. If you dont have the pelts put up yet, I can do that as well. I use the Nevada Style stretch to ensure the maximun amount of money for the effort. If anyone wants to get their bobcats into another HIGH dollar Arizona fur sale, let me know. Your pelts MUST have the CITES tag on them BEFORE you ship them! Even if they arent put up yet, your local Game & Fish, DNR, or DOW can put it on the raw pelt. It wont hurt anything during the put up process. This is another opportunity for guys to take advantage of the high prices again this year, dont miss out!

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

maybe some of the guys I have pelts from will chime in here.. ..

#2429475 - 02/10/13 03:00 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
doggin coyotes Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: Colorado
WOW. Makes a guy wanna target nothing but cats.

#2430200 - 02/10/13 11:16 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
DesertGhost Offline
Seasoned Member

yeah, they are worth a pretty good dollar these days! I just got a couple more pelts headed this way from a guy in Kansas, and another in Virginia. . . lets hope the prices stay at this price or go higher!!!!

#2430264 - 02/10/13 11:52 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
mmtx10 Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Southern AZ
I'll see ha there Airon. Won't have near as many cats as you but should be a good weekend.

#2430999 - 02/11/13 06:12 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: mmtx10]
DesertGhost Offline
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted By: mmtx10
I'll see ha there Airon. Won't have near as many cats as you but should be a good weekend.

Yup, Ill be there, going to be fun! It will be good to catch up in person again, and not just via text or phone calls! ha ha ha

#2431730 - 02/12/13 08:55 AM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
ridgerunner2 Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Wyoming
What would this cat bring?

#2431751 - 02/12/13 09:16 AM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: ridgerunner2]
DesertGhost Offline
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner2

without putting my hands on the cat and looking into several of the factors that drive the cat price, ie, clear - x-clear, select or not, the length, etc, I cant say for sure.

It looks pretty well put up. Has a pretty good belly on it. Id say its in the $400+ category. Most likely it could be closer to $600-700. but again, without seeing it in person I cant be sure. Who knows, it might be one of them cats that the buyers pile on and it goes over the $1k mark. Its really is a pretty good cat. Its too hard to judge from pictures on the quality of the fur, but like I said, looks pretty good.

If you want to send it down, let me know. Ill get you my information and we can get it sold for you.

#2431816 - 02/12/13 10:19 AM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
ridgerunner2 Offline
Die Hard Member

Originally Posted By: DesertGhost

without putting my hands on the cat and looking into several of the factors that drive the cat price, ie, clear - x-clear, select or not, the length, etc, I cant say for sure.

It looks pretty well put up. Has a pretty good belly on it. Id say its in the $400+ category. Most likely it could be closer to $600-700. but again, without seeing it in person I cant be sure. Who knows, it might be one of them cats that the buyers pile on and it goes over the $1k mark. Its really is a pretty good cat. Its too hard to judge from pictures on the quality of the fur, but like I said, looks pretty good.

If you want to send it down, let me know. Ill get you my information and we can get it sold for you.

It was a 42" tom and sold it for 900.00 I think your prices is way low.

#2431842 - 02/12/13 10:45 AM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
mmtx10 Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Southern AZ
He's not the one setting the prices. It was just a guess. If you already sold it why did you ask him how much he thought it would bring? He was trying to do you a favor and get it in a sale for you.

#2431853 - 02/12/13 10:56 AM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
Skyline Offline

Loc: MB, Canada
Looks like I need to start traveling a bit and getting out into bobcat country. Where my ranch is we just have lynx, but I can get into bobcat about 10 miles from here as there is a big change in elevation and habitat.

Good for you boys. Glad to see guys getting some decent money like the 'olden days'. Now if we could only see some upwards movement on beaver I'd be a happy man.

#2432042 - 02/12/13 01:35 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
bonecollector777 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: AZ
Ridgerunner2, you got ripped off. My 42" inch cat that had a worse belly than that got $1100. And my 36" cat with a worse belly got $900. Better find a new buyer. Oh. . I almost forgot. . stop being an idiot. No one can accurately tell you a price by looking at a bad quality picture. Keep your bobcats up in Wyoming and get less money for them. We don't care.

And desertghost, those guys from virginia and kansas realize their cats aren't going to get prices anywhere near our cats out here right? Just don't want them pissed off thinking you are ripping them off when they get $50 for their cats.

#2432322 - 02/12/13 06:04 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: bonecollector777]
DesertGhost Offline
Seasoned Member

Well Im pretty sure it says right here that I cant tell for sure from a PICTURE! Then again, it didnt matter what I said, you already what information you wanted. but i think it was a fair estimate based on the fact that it was a picture and not the actual pelt.

Originally Posted By: bonecollector777
Ridgerunner2, you got ripped off. My 42" inch cat that had a worse belly than that got $1100. And my 36" cat with a worse belly got $900. Better find a new buyer. Oh. . I almost forgot. . stop being an idiot. No one can accurately tell you a price by looking at a bad quality picture. Keep your bobcats up in Wyoming and get less money for them. We don't care.

And desertghost, those guys from virginia and kansas realize their cats aren't going to get prices anywhere near our cats out here right? Just don't want them pissed off thinking you are ripping them off when they get $50 for their cats.

Well, I guess im not the only one that thinks its pretty hard to judge based on a picture. I guess I asked for a little bashing considering IM JUST TRYING TO HELP SOME GUYS OUT BY GETTING THEIR FUR INTO A BOBCAT ONLY SALE! I guess thats some kind of crime or something to some people. . . sell your cats wherever you want, im just offering to help get pelts to a sale!

to answer the second part, yes the guys from back east know they arent going to be getting huge money on their fur. But the reason this all started was a buddy who lives in Virginia got a REALLY good cat, looks like a western cat, said he would only get $80-$100 for it. Its a 44" cat! and looks pretty good. So I told him to ship it out here and Ill get it into the sale and see how it does. Of course there are NO GUARANTEE in the price at sale. but its just another avenue for them to get the fur sold. simple as that.

bonecollector, did you sell up to the ATA sale? some of those prices were flat AWESOME!

#2432560 - 02/12/13 09:14 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
bonecollector777 Offline
Seasoned Member

Yeah I sold four cats there and got awesome prices. Averaged $750. My top cat went for $1100 and low cat went $575. Those prices were insane. I helped a buyer grade them and even he didn't expect the bidding to go that high. It was fun though and well worth it. Hoping my cats I take up to Kingman do just as well.

#2432579 - 02/12/13 09:23 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
DesertGhost Offline
Seasoned Member

good deal. thats what I like to hear! I guess I will see you up to Kingman in a few weeks!!!!

#2432600 - 02/12/13 09:32 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
ridgerunner2 Offline
Die Hard Member

I wasn't trying to bash anyone, All I was doing was trying to find out what kinda of price range that cat was in. I have other cats I was going to send to the sale but after the bashing I have got I think I will stick with the buyer I'm selling too.

#2432930 - 02/13/13 06:42 AM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: ridgerunner2]
bonecollector777 Offline
Seasoned Member

Give me a break Ridgerunner. Stop with the sob story like we're picking on you. You sound like a little kid. You're the one who posted a photo of a cat that you know is impossible to tell the value off of one picture and when a guy throws out a guess you get butt hurt. Keep your bobcats in Wyoming where you're getting such a great deal on everything you're selling. There will be hundreds of other cats at that sale and yours won't be missed by anyone.

#2432973 - 02/13/13 08:27 AM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: bonecollector777]
ridgerunner2 Offline
Die Hard Member

Well then bonecollector777 why don't you come to wyoming and see me in person instead of trying to act tuff on the computer

#2432976 - 02/13/13 08:32 AM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
ridgerunner2 Offline
Die Hard Member

By the way why would anyone want to send any cats to you guys to sell? Here is a reply I received from Desert Ghost:

There really isnt a commission. If you were to come down yourself and put fur in the sale, it costs you $20. thats it, whether you have 1 fur or 100, its $20. that goes to just cover the rental of the building.

I assume the fur is already put up and ready for sale. If you would like for me to take the fur up there to the sale for you, I can do that. Of course you would have to pay shipping to get to my house in Az. Im charging $10 to go towards my gas. that is probably the lowest you will find anywhere.

If the fur isnt already put up, I can do that as well. I use the Nevada stretch on all my bobcat pelts. I charge 40% of the sale price to put the fur up. It will have to be frozen solid, packed in a cooler of some kind (foam ones work fine) and covered with ice, shipped via next day or 3rd day in order to avoid any problems with the fur.

Let me know if you have any questions.

my cell number is *********
Airon

Edited by Yellowhammer (02/14/13 12:04 PM)
Edit Reason: requeested phone number removed

#2433128 - 02/13/13 11:08 AM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
catcapper Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Westcliffe,CO.
I'm gonna interupt this little weiner fight for just a couple of mins.---then you guys can get back at it.lol.

The U.S. fur market is divided up into regions, and there is a reason for that.

With lots of guys think'in there gonna "cut the fat hog" cause they caught and skinned a cat and its worth $1000.00, some could be in for a suprize. The majority of top money cats are been'in taken on the west side of the "Big River'.

The post says there are hides com'in from Virgina and maybe some other eastern states. How does a fella think an eastern hide is gonna stand up along side a western heavy. Fur graders and buyers at these auction houses aren't stupid. Most eastern hides along side a western will most probably look like crap. They'll probably grade flat, and could have brought more money if they had been sold in their own region.

Its hard to sell an ugly skinny chicken as a nice fat goose.

Hope some of this info helps some folks out.

I know from 30 years of deal'in in the fur market--- Sometimes your the windshield--- sometimes your the bug.lol.

#2433679 - 02/13/13 08:01 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: catcapper]
DesertGhost Offline
Seasoned Member

By the way why would anyone want to send any cats to you guys to sell? Here is a reply I received from Desert Ghost:

There really isnt a commission. If you were to come down yourself and put fur in the sale, it costs you $20. thats it, whether you have 1 fur or 100, its $20. that goes to just cover the rental of the building.

I assume the fur is already put up and ready for sale. If you would like for me to take the fur up there to the sale for you, I can do that. Of course you would have to pay shipping to get to my house in Az. Im charging $10 to go towards my gas. that is probably the lowest you will find anywhere.

If the fur isnt already put up, I can do that as well. I use the Nevada stretch on all my bobcat pelts. I charge 40% of the sale price to put the fur up. It will have to be frozen solid, packed in a cooler of some kind (foam ones work fine) and covered with ice, shipped via next day or 3rd day in order to avoid any problems with the fur.

Im not really sure what you mean as to why you wouldnt want to send fur out this way to get into the sale. You asked about the commission at the sale. THERE ISNT A "COMMISSION". The cost to get in the door is $20, and you have to have fur to sell. the $20 is only to cover the renting of the building. Plain and Simple! the idea the guy has behind this sale is to get as much money into the trappers hands as possible. there isnt any real overhead, so why charge a commission?

If you are referring to the second part of my response where I talk about putting the fur up FOR YOU, and taking 40% of the sale price. Well, lets see. . . there is more often a lot more time put into the fur put up than the actual harvesting of the animal. and yet I am taking less than half of the money generated for doing most of the work. I think thats a pretty fair offer.

I want you to clarify what you mean by your statement "By the way why would anyone want to send any cats to you guys to sell?" Im trying to be pretty upfront and answer any questions for folks who might be new to selling fur and/or dont know the proper fur put up on bobcats. Im simply giving an alternative to selling the fur. If a guy has a place to sell the fur, good for them. If they want to take the opportunity to sell their fur at this sale, great, thats all im offering.

Originally Posted By: catcapper
With lots of guys think'in there gonna "cut the fat hog" cause they caught and skinned a cat and its worth $1000.00, some could be in for a suprize. The majority of top money cats are been'in taken on the west side of the "Big River'.

The post says there are hides com'in from Virgina and maybe some other eastern states. How does a fella think an eastern hide is gonna stand up along side a western heavy. Fur graders and buyers at these auction houses aren't stupid. Most eastern hides along side a western will most probably look like crap. They'll probably grade flat, and could have brought more money if they had been sold in their own region.

Yes you are correct, those cast east of the river arent going to bring $1k. This is just another opportunity for them to sell the fur, with a chance / the possibility to get a little more for it.

As for the ones coming from a guy in Virginia, he figured it was worth a shot at this sale, rather than getting only $80 for a nice looking 44 inch cat.

Edited by DesertGhost (02/13/13 08:25 PM)

#2433711 - 02/13/13 08:29 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
DesertGhost Offline
Seasoned Member

catcapper,

Id like your opinion on this cat

#2433744 - 02/13/13 08:54 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
ridgerunner2 Offline
Die Hard Member

The cat dosen't look like a heavy western cat so with out knowing where it is from it would be really hard to give a price.

Edited by ridgerunner2 (02/13/13 09:15 PM)

#2433777 - 02/13/13 09:12 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
DesertGhost Offline
Seasoned Member

This picture was sent to me by a guy who is interested in getting it into the sale to see what he can get for it. Im not going to say where the cat was caught because he hasnt committed it to the sale yet. As for the put up, i dont know how many he puts up or if this is his first year. Im not goikg to critique his put up until i get my hands on it and can take pictures to show what he can do different. With that said, lets hear the opinion on the cat. See if someone can get close to it geographic location. Im curious how some think this cat would grade, and how much it should bring. Cause apparently im in need of some better estimating fur value skills. . . Not trying be rude or anything else, just trying to get better.

#2433891 - 02/13/13 10:15 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
Mason_Jarr Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Southern Idaho
I'd say it came out of the central region, Kansas or Nebraska maybe. The belly is narrow and the transition is extreme (no blending). Put up will affect the price and it looks like he put it on a fox board. We call that a snake here in Idaho (long and skinny). Definitely needs to be cleaned and fluffed with Borax. As it sits right now, that cat would be lucky to bring $200, however there are things we can't see that also will affect the price. What does the back look like? How long is it? What's the fur density like, etc. Hard to judge any fur from a picture.

#2433949 - 02/13/13 10:43 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: Mason_Jarr]
DesertGhost Offline
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted By: Mason_Jarr
however there are things we can't see that also will affect the price. What does the back look like? How long is it? What's the fur density like, etc. Hard to judge any fur from a picture.

Yes, i completely agree with this statement. In the other picture the back fur looks okay as well, for being a picture. . .

All of the furs will get a minimum of 2 dry washes before they will go to the sale.

#2434222 - 02/14/13 07:21 AM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
DesertGhost Offline
Seasoned Member

The cat dosen't look like a heavy western cat so with out knowing where it is from it would be really hard to give a price.

and now I see why you got all upset when I gave you a conservative estimate on the picture that you posted. Cause you cant use a picture to get a really good estimate of value without anything but a picture. . . . progress, this is good.

however,I would like you to stop editing your previous posts (namely the one that is quoted here - now changed twice) about the cat picture and just add your new comments to the list so everyone can see them. It is kind of backwards and cheap to completely change your initial responses to something a little more middle of the road and patsy.

edited: for spelling

Edited by DesertGhost (02/14/13 07:28 AM)

#2434287 - 02/14/13 09:21 AM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
ridgerunner2 Offline
Die Hard Member

The thing is you knew where I was from as my location states wyoming.

#2434391 - 02/14/13 11:24 AM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: ridgerunner2]
DesertGhost Offline
Seasoned Member

The thing is you knew where I was from as my location states wyoming.

just because you are from Wyoming, doesnt mean that cat in the pictures was in fact taken in Wyoming. there are pictures posted on the internet all the time that arent in the area that the person who posted them lives. there was no description attached to the picture as to the information about the cat. There was no way to tell where the cat came from.

Now back to the original topic at hand . . . .

If anyone else has any questions or would like to get their bobcat pelts into the sale, please let me know.

#2434431 - 02/14/13 12:05 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
Yellowhammer Offline
Retired Moderator

Loc: Huntington, Texas
Guys,

Please do not use the forum for a pissing contest. If you think I am talking to you, I am.

"No prize is greater than the effort taken to acheive it"

- Aldo Leopold, The Father of Wildlife Management

#2434508 - 02/14/13 01:08 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: Yellowhammer]
phutch30 Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: MT
To me the cat doesnt look like the fur is that hvy and maybe its the pic, but it looks like he stretched it pretty narrow in an attempt to gain length. If I had to put a location, I would also go with central. The belly is really clear compared to most east/SE cats. Its well marked though.

#2434846 - 02/14/13 07:47 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
ridgerunner2 Offline
Die Hard Member

Ok here is a wyoming cat caught today that is 44" long and 9 1/2" wide.

#2434882 - 02/14/13 08:16 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
bonecollector777 Offline
Seasoned Member

Now that cat is for sure gonna bring some money. I'd say a thousand at least prob more just by the picture but don't get butt hurt if you think that's low.

#2435099 - 02/14/13 11:25 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: bonecollector777]
DesertGhost Offline
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted By: bonecollector777
Now that cat is for sure gonna bring some money. I'd say a thousand at least prob more just by the picture but don't get butt hurt if you think that's low.

Yes, that is indeed a great cat. $1k cat for sure. Heck that one might be one of them $1400 cats. . . . but its all up to the buyers .. . . .

#2436286 - 02/16/13 12:27 AM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
Tactical .20 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Estherville,IA
lots of child support there!

#2436851 - 02/16/13 06:52 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
ridgerunner2 Offline
Die Hard Member

n

Edited by ridgerunner2 (02/16/13 09:31 PM)

#2437153 - 02/16/13 11:02 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
ole_270 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: SE Kansas
Guy this week told me he had sold 3 cats that averaged $160, two of them among the best he had seen locally. This is South East Kansas so nothing like the fur at higher elevations.

#2437162 - 02/16/13 11:11 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: ridgerunner2]
JTM Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Utah

You got absolutely hosed on this cat if you sold it for only 900.

I know guys personally that would have paid at least 1200 for that cat.

Edited by JTM (02/17/13 02:36 PM)

#2437169 - 02/16/13 11:17 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
dan brothers Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Santee, SC 29148 USA
I shot a 30 lb bobcat in NE Texas, Nov 26th, which had alot of beautiful spots on the belly. Gave it to a guy to have it skinned and stored... but it didn't happen as plan, and he let it ruin. What a waste... wish I had that one to do all over again. Is it possible to get a rough idea as to how long a 30lb cat might be...?

#2437187 - 02/16/13 11:40 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: Tactical .20]
suprsongdgslyr Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: california
Originally Posted By: Tactical .20
lots of child support there!

lol yeah , or maybe pay some well overdue debts
that a person might have screwed someone over on .

#2437229 - 02/17/13 12:36 AM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
BangPop Online
Die Hard Member

Loc: Gallatin Gateway Montana
Good news and bad news. Good news is that there have been some unreal prices paid for cats in the past few years. Bad news is that all the pressure put on the population because of those high prices has put a hurt on the cats in certain parts of the country. I had a good discussion with a warden in South Dakota in December and the cats tagged was one half as many as last year as of that date. I talked with a buddy of mine in that area last week and they are predicting a shortened season next year in consideration of the diminished numbers. This reminds me of coyotes in the late 70's when I was getting $80 for a coyote popcicle.

#2437277 - 02/17/13 03:20 AM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: BangPop]
bonecollector777 Offline
Seasoned Member

I'm not sure that's true about hurting the population from trapping more cats. At least in Arizona. If you look at the trapping reports from years ago I think it was in the early 80's they were catching nearly 10,000 cats a year and the next years they caught just as many. It only went down when legholds were banned around 1994-1995. Last year only about 2,000 cats were trapped in Arizona if I remember correctly. Maybe 3,000. But either way it's a long ways from 10,000. There are more cats out there than we think.

#2437290 - 02/17/13 07:21 AM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: dan brothers]
thinkinthebox Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: NW CO.
Originally Posted By: dan brothers
I shot a 30 lb bobcat in NE Texas, Nov 26th, which had alot of beautiful spots on the belly. Gave it to a guy to have it skinned and stored... but it didn't happen as plan, and he let it ruin. What a waste... wish I had that one to do all over again. Is it possible to get a rough idea as to how long a 30lb cat might be...?

A 30# cat will stretch over 42 inches.

#2437292 - 02/17/13 07:25 AM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: JTM]
ridgerunner2 Offline
Die Hard Member

Originally Posted By: JTM

You got absolutely hosed on this cat if you sold it for only 900.

I know guys personally that would have paid at least 1200 for that cat.

Moose

I you read the post I posted it never said this cat had been sold.

#2437548 - 02/17/13 01:28 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: ridgerunner2]
RePete Offline
PM senior

Loc: Idaho (Clearwater County)
Best keep things in perspective here guys.
While Cat prices are indeed at an all-time high,, don't believe everything you hear on the interweb. Truth is, some folks hear about the one or two cats at a particular sale that go for 1000.00+ and pretty soon every Cat born is worth that much.

Here's a quote from a guy I trust on another web site where this topic is being discussed.

" Let it be said, for the sake of posterity, that not ALL western cats are in this very high price range. I had a veteran mentor put up all my fur this year and at the show in Globe, for our Az Desert cats, I averaged $298 for them. I was pleased."

Like he says, "not all western cats are created equal'.
Our season ended yesterday so I'll sell my goods next week. I've got four cats [ 32" 36" 40' 42" ]. All well put up prime cats but for some reason the belly's tend to run a little narrow here in No. central ID. I'll be happy if I average 500.00 (probably be closer to 400.00.

Good luck with those 1000.00 AZ cats.

#2437607 - 02/17/13 02:36 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: ridgerunner2]
JTM Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Utah

Unless I read your post wrong RidgeRunner I think it sold for 900.

#2437822 - 02/17/13 06:02 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
ridgerunner2 Offline
Die Hard Member

You are correct, The first picture sold for 900.00 but haven't sold the one in the second picture. My mistake.

#2439979 - 02/19/13 04:37 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
Chad M Offline
Predator Master

Needless to say the cat prices are great! As for the population of cats. I know here in Colorado they are doing good. Just a few more days left in the season here.

#2439993 - 02/19/13 04:47 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: Chad M]
phutch30 Offline
Die Hard Member

I sold three 31" kittens on Sun for $300 average. I was pleased.

#2440529 - 02/19/13 10:41 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
DesertGhost Offline
Seasoned Member

phutch30, thats a pretty good average for some smaller cats. nicely done.

#2455494 - 03/06/13 09:03 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
COCat Offline

Great, now we are gonna start buying fur from pictures. You guys cant be serious. If the right buyer is at the Kingman sale, those eastern cats will bring more money than they think. Not western prices for sure, but they will be pleased. CO had a bunch of eastern cats, and CO will be getting more eastern cats next year because they sold well.

#2457857 - 03/09/13 08:00 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
Casey Danielson Offline
Predator Master

Loc: NEBRASKA
Had a buddy here in Nebraska sell his 6 for $3000.00, 800 high cat and 225 low cat!!!!

#2458555 - 03/10/13 08:55 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
catroper Offline

Loc: Idaho Lincoln co.
buyers know where every cat comes from as they all have a export tag with the state on it .

#2459566 - 03/12/13 02:10 AM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
DesertGhost Offline
Seasoned Member

Okay so the sale went on as planned Saturday. I got the fur sent to me sold and then ran back to Phoenix Saturday night to head to the hospital so we could welcome our second son into the world. So for those who were looking for info about the sale, I hope my intermittent opportunity was informative. now with that said, some of the guys did VERY well with their fur, all respectively of course.

The top cat sold for $1500. The top lot with my name on it went for $900. then went down from there $550, $450, $375, etc. A couple Missouri cats sold for $110 each, which as I was told, was about $35 more than the seller would have got locally. He was more than pleased. A fellow Missourian's cats didnt fair so well. I wont go into those number here, but I relayed the reasonings behind it.

A Virginia cat sold for $200. Which as I was told, is almost double what their local top cat went for. Again, a VERY pleased seller.

The Az cats I sold up there had a $539 average. which if you were to take out a small, slight damaged cat that sold for $150, the average would have been $604. Not a bad average.

Some guys were very happy with the prices they received and others werent. There were a couple guys with a lot of fur that "no sale"ed their fur which really hurt the later lots as the buyers were getting irritated. Some of the cats were borderline flat / semi-hvy cats in the 35-36" range, should have sold for around $350, and were "NO SALE" when the bid was $500 each. I for the life of me, cannot understand this, but hey, they werent my furs!

Either way, I think we can all say that for a first year sale basically tossed together in a hurry, bringing in 498 cats that sold in the sale a pretty good success. and another almost 100 that were too late to get in the sale, but sold outside the sale all the same. There are plans already in the works to get next years sale set up and ready to roll once again. Hopefully the turn out will be better, and we have even more buyers, and a lot more fur!

to those of you who sent me fur, as soon as the buyer checks are cleared, I will get them out to you! thanks again for giving me the opportunity to help out and get that fur sold. maybe some of you can post up about your experiences.

thanks again,

DG

#2459770 - 03/12/13 12:15 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
12Ring Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Albuquerque New Mexico

So mine is the one on the farthest right in this picture. Bonecollector was nice enough to take it to kingman for me. I got $550 for it. It was the first fur I have ever put on a board and I know I made some mistakes. It was right at 36" but I didn't pull the tail down, I stretched it to wide losing a inch or two and I didn't do the Nevada stretch so the legs look bad, all spread apart like that. And I didn't cut the bottom lip off. I am curious what you think I could have got for this cat had I done a better job?? Here are more pics of it. And I know its hard to tell from pics so I'm not gonna complain about what you think. Earlier in the thread I know it was about how you can't judge by pictures but go ahead and judge mine if you can.

Ever since I killed this cat I have been cat crazy and fur crazy. I am going to buy all the right tools and boards to put up all my fur next year. I have been letting them lay for years now and I'm kicking myself, thinking about how much money I just let go.

Edited by 12Ring (03/15/13 02:00 PM)

#2459833 - 03/12/13 02:23 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
phutch30 Offline
Die Hard Member

The Nevada stretch wont really hurt or help you. It looks nice, but having the cat the proper width and pulling it as long as you possibly can is what is going to affect grade. The rest is up to the genetics of the cat. Unless you have a giant cat theres no reason to stretch it much more than 8" at the base on a 40" or larger cat. Understanding that bigger cats are going to be wider, just dont force it wider. Cats 36-40 should never be wider than 8". Under 36 I would go with 7 1/2" wide. I have never ever seen a buyer measure the width of a cat unless it was really outside the norm.

Stretching wider usually results in shorter skins, which can kill you on cats. There can easily be a several hundred dollar difference between the same cat at 35" vs 36"+

#2459895 - 03/12/13 04:51 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
borkon Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: minnesota
good advice phutch.
12 ring. don't beat yourself up over that cat. you did a fine job for the first one.
there is a lot of info out there about how to properly put up fur. you have 6 months to do some studying. take your time at first. speed will come in time.

winner of the first annual Coyotehunter.net Tournament Series

#2459943 - 03/12/13 06:03 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
phutch30 Offline
Die Hard Member

One other thing. IF after its dried you dont like it you can always soak it in water and re-do it.

#2460306 - 03/13/13 01:34 AM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
DesertGhost Offline
Seasoned Member

12Ring, Here is the thing. You got GOOD money for a good cat. I wouldnt worry about what you could have got. The put up was just fine. The buyers could see what they needed to. There is always the "what could have been" and then there is the money in your pocket! I will take money in my pocket ANY day over "what could have been"

They arent worth a dime unless there is someone willing to buy them.

#2460420 - 03/13/13 09:48 AM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
12Ring Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Albuquerque New Mexico
12Ring, Here is the thing. You got GOOD money for a good cat. I wouldnt worry about what you could have got. The put up was just fine. The buyers could see what they needed to. There is always the "what could have been" and then there is the money in your pocket! I will take money in my pocket ANY day over "what could have been"

They arent worth a dime unless there is someone willing to buy them.
Got it. I'm happy with what I got. I was Just curious if my put up hurt me. Thanks.

#2460581 - 03/13/13 01:45 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
DesertGhost Offline
Seasoned Member

I thought you might have been happy with it! ha ha ha ha like it was said, the put up was good, if the full nevada stretch would have been used, you MAYBE, and its a big MAYBE have got another $50. Heck, the top cat was stretched like a cross, front legs laid out flat to the side. . .. I think as longs as they can see everything, its all good.

#2460655 - 03/13/13 03:36 PM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
bonecollector777 Offline
Seasoned Member

You did fine 12ring. I was right there with one of the buyers grading all of the cats and when he got to your cat he loved it and said good things. The ONLY thing that I could see that MAYBE didn't get you more money is that when he measured it he said it went in the 32-36" category which is Large. Had it been stretched to 37" or 38" it would have made the 36"-40" grade which would have probably gotten you another $100. So your cat would have went for $650. Other than that your cat was pretty good. Practice makes perfect.

#2486429 - 04/21/13 11:36 AM Re: High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them..... [Re: DesertGhost]
cinomed Offline

Loc: Cali
Quote:
The Nevada stretch wont really hurt or help you. It looks nice, but having the cat the proper width and pulling it as long as you possibly can is what is going to affect grade. The rest is up to the genetics of the cat. Unless you have a giant cat theres no reason to stretch it much more than 8" at the base on a 40" or larger cat. Understanding that bigger cats are going to be wider, just dont force it wider. Cats 36-40 should never be wider than 8". Under 36 I would go with 7 1/2" wide. I have never ever seen a buyer measure the width of a cat unless it was really outside the norm.

Stretching wider usually results in shorter skins, which can kill you on cats. There can easily be a several hundred dollar difference between the same cat at 35" vs 36"+

Smartest post in this thread.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  AWS 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.