22 hornet brass

coloradocat

I had a friend tell me that brass life on a hornet is about 5-6 reloads because the neck stretches real bad .I am new to reloading so dont really know much.Is this true and something I need to watch for?How many reloads can you expect before they become unuseable?

They make trimmers for stretched necks.

Like most cases, brass life depends on how hard your running your loads. The 22 hornet is particularly sensitive in this regard due to it's already thin brass. If your squeezing everything out of it trying to make your hornet into a 222 then your going to get 3 to 4 out of them before they give up the go. When kept mild and well within reason I've gotten twice that from them. 5 to 6 isnt bad either, sometime you take what you can get.

You can pretty much tell those that havn't had much success with the hornet. They complain about accuracy and brass life. Generally.. those are the guys that are wanting more than the little cartridge can give. If a person takes the hornet for what it is, they will enjoy a lifetime of shooting with it.

Right now i follwed some of the loads shared here on pm.We are putting 12grains of lil gun and 45 grain v max.they are performing very well with clover shapes at 100 yards not quite 1 hole performance but by far better than what i expected.Is 12 grains too much?I. i think 12.5 is about the most i could put in there.
Thanks for any input

I use 13.2 of Lil'Gun with a 35 V-MAX in Rem cases with Rem 6 1/2 primers at 1.735". Capable of 1/2" @ 100yd out of my CZ 527 American. Of course, that's with a set trigger that is under 1lb and a Nikon Monarch UCC 5.5-16.5x44mm AO scope.

My gun is a 1 in 16 twist and it didn't care for the 45 Sierra hornet bullets too much. Did best with those around 12.7 of Lil'Gun as I recall. It did better with the Sierra 40 SP hornet bullets, but nothing beats the V-MAX or a 34 Midway dogtown HP bullet in terms of accuracy, and I like the terminal performance of the V-MAX better than the 34.

Originally Posted By: coloradocatRight now i follwed some of the loads shared here on pm.We are putting 12grains of lil gun and 45 grain v max.they are performing very well with clover shapes at 100 yards not quite 1 hole performance but by far better than what i expected.Is 12 grains too much?I. i think 12.5 is about the most i could put in there.
Thanks for any input

There is a big difference in case capacity between WW and Rem cases. I use WW and can only get about 12.5-12.7 grains of Lil gun in the case. The Rem brass will hold about .5 grain more than WW. I am betting you are loading WW cases.

I had to trim about every other shot when I was using WW296 (same as H110), but with Lil Gun's lower pressure I got more shots w/o trimming. Finally got a K Hornet barrel and probably will not have to trim before 6-8 shots or more.

I use 10.5 grains of H110 and 40 gr bullets. Can't tell you how many shots per cartridge, cause I have not worn any out. Don't pay any attention to those who whine about the Hornet. It's been around forever for a reason.

Tom

Back