Savage Model 12 vs. Savage Model 11 Trophy Hunter XP

cathntr

Currently I have a Savage Model 12 .204 with a 20" bull barrel and am thinking about selling it and picking up the Model 11 Trophy Hunter XP. The Trophy Hunter comes standard with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 and accu-trigger. My main reason for wanting to change is due to weight. The model 12 gets kinda rough on the shoulder if packing it a long ways. I also like the fact that the Model 11 has a detachable magazine. In your opinion would there be any regrets in making the swap? Thanks, Josh

My model 12 is a [beeep] of a shooter but its too dang heavy to carry long distances. It being a 20" barrel vs. the standard 26" helps a little but you can still tell a big difference between carrying it and any sporter barrel rifle I own. I figure the Model 11 will shoot just as good as most Savages do.

The Model 12 is for shooting off a bipod or bench, the Trophy Hunter is for walking and stalking. Gauge the kind of shooting you do the most of.

I had similar situation when I first started hunting/shooting ground hogs during the early '70s. I bought a Ruger #1V and it was a bear to lug across the pastures and soybean fields. I kept it for those times I could walk a few yards and set up, but I eventually bought a walking varminter to go with it.

Originally Posted By: lhitchcoxThe Model 12 is for shooting off a bipod or bench, the Trophy Hunter is for walking and stalking. Gauge the kind of shooting you do the most of.

What he said.

I have both, but their uses are not the same.

I have the trophy hunter XP in .223 and it shot MOA out of the box. Not too heavy or too long to carry comfortably and the Nikon scope came mounted and bore sighted. It took 3 shots to get it zeroed @ 100 yards

Originally Posted By: calling4lifeBuild the model 12, get what you want and what fits you, new barrel, new stock with bottom metal installed...

I appreciate the suggestion but I have no desire to tear my gun apart and potentially screw it up. Also not willing to pay someone else to do it. Think it would be cheaper just to buy new.

I picked up a Trophy Hunter a few weeks back in .243 and I'm extremely happy with it. So light and easy to carry, shoots like a dream. I'm shooting 75 grain HP's for the yotes. Heading out in the morning to see what she'll do to one.

Back