.55 gr. z-max

billsr25

I noticed when I was checking bullet availability on one site there was a posting saying .55gr. Z-max is being discontinued by the factory. Anyone know if there is any truth to this? Thanks...

idk hornadys pics on website look slightly different, size of tip etc. but the specs on both are identical.

if anything there maybe i slightly thinner jacket on the z-max making them a bit more explosive on impact.

ive been thinking about trying the 58gr zmax in my 6mm rem but i cant imagine that would be easy on fur

Originally Posted By: stapleenAre the Z-max really any different than the v-max? I always wondered this. I have only used the v-max.
Same thing just different color tip is all.

Originally Posted By: NYyotekillerOriginally Posted By: stapleenAre the Z-max really any different than the v-max? I always wondered this. I have only used the v-max.

Not true. The zmax has a thicker base jacket than the vmax does.

Originally Posted By: WNC-YOTEOriginally Posted By: NYyotekillerOriginally Posted By: stapleenAre the Z-max really any different than the v-max? I always wondered this. I have only used the v-max.

Correct.....word is Hornady went with the thicker jacket as folks were having too many non-fatal "splash" wounds while attempting to kill zombies with the Vmax.

Zmax = More penetration = Dead(er) zombie

Originally Posted By: Black iceOriginally Posted By: WNC-YOTEOriginally Posted By: NYyotekillerOriginally Posted By: stapleenAre the Z-max really any different than the v-max? I always wondered this. I have only used the v-max.

Correct.....word is Hornady went with the thicker jacket as folks were having too many non-fatal "splash" wounds while attempting to kill zombies with the Vmax.

Zmax = More penetration = Dead(er) zombie

LOL!! Good one - no, really, they are the same bullet and jacket with a different colored tip. Many people have called Hornady on this, and got this answer. The real question is why the Zmax is cheaper???

I have heard from my "dealer" the 55's are discontinued and I think they can keep the price lower than the V-Max because they only come in boxes 500 therefore packaging costs would be lower...

The guys a Hornady told me same bullet. Just different color tip. My Tikka t 3 22 250 I can load up 5 z max 5 v max and both will shoot in the same place. They told me they came out with the z max because nosler came out with Varmageddon bullets. And Hornady sent me a 2013 Hornady bullets and ammo catalog they do not list any z max bullets for 2013.

They have the same BC and SD as the v-max. I've shot them in the 204, 223, 22-250, and 243. They shoot to the same POI as their vmax counterpart as far as I can tell.

I did kill one coyote with the 50 zmax out of a 22-250 at 85 yds travelling 3,900 fps muzzle. It was a double lung shot slightly farther back than I should have hit. Small entry, half dollar size exit with part of the lungs blown out. Coyote went 90 yds before piling up. One shot on one coyote doesn't mean much. It surprised me that the zmax shot right through him though.

I just picked up some 55gr 224 zmax today. Must not be discontinued if stores are getting them in this market. I emailed hornady and asked about it, will post up a response if i get one.

Back