Holster suggesstions for Ruger NM Blackhawk 6.5

Jhedges

I recently acquired a late 70's NM blackhawk in 41 mag. with a 6.5 in barrel. I absolutely love this gun and I have been carrying it in a crossdraw calvary flap holster from Triple K holsters (i believe) and I am looking for suggestions.

I really looked into getting one of the cartrige belts, not the wyoming style but the standard deluxe model in .38 and strech the loops for my 41. My only problem is that I do not like the idea of carrying 24 rounds with me where I hunt. I do however like the idea of wearing it on a seperate belt that I can wear on the outside of my bibs or winter wear. I also didnt think that the "cowboy" look would be practical for hunting.

Another option was the galco single action outdoorsman holster but I have read mixed reviews on carrying a larger size revolver strongside on your main belt.

I am open for any suggestions, as for I am torn between which holster to go with. I currently have a shoulder rig from Blackhawk that belonged to my brother that fits this gun perfectly but i just want to hear how everyone carries. I do carry this gun coyote and deer hunting, i just want something that will be comfortable for hiking and hunting both with this weapon.

Thank you all for the help.

So you're looking for a cartridge belt, but don't want so many cartridge loops? I'd encourage you to look at cartridge slides. Slips over your holster belt, usually holds 5 or 6 rounds, can get them in any round count you like.

I have a Hunter 1060F8 that I really like for my SBH 7.5". Obviously doesn't work when it's scoped. Only retention is a leather thong that slips over the hammer. I like the look. It works best with a drop belt, which is fine by me, as I never wear a holster on a "main belt". My "main belt" is for holding up my pants, my gun belt is for holding up my gun (CCW not included of course).

I think the 1060 would probably fit a Blackhawk better than the SBH, WAY tight on my SBH.

What kind of drop belt do you have. That is also a concern i would like a seperate rig for my sidearm rather than carrying it on my main belt. That is a good looking holster but I do like carrying crossdraw rather than strongside.

If your just looking for a better belt without loops find yourself a leather tool belt. Klein, Ideal, some brand from Lowes, Home Depot, Etc. Good solid belt, usually very long, work well for low cost.

Many many holsters on the market should find one COMPLETE RIG for under $250 tripple k makes good leather, ross too i don't know if they have a lg slection of cross draw....
I think for hiking a sholder rig is out, also horseback or 4 wheeler, for my sholder rigs are way too cumbersome.....
the western style real, or hollywood drop style, to me are way better. i think cowboys wore their guns on their hip for a reason. and gun slinging wasn't it.
also i think the cross draw would be cumbersome i wear a western holster so much i usually don't know it's there...
I think the only way your gonna be confortable with a 6 1/2" barrel big revolver is on your hip, for any length of time anyways. These Opinions are just that, to each his own., Just some ideas.....

BTW I think the .41 mag is a great round.

With a heavier gun I'd look to a sturdy leather holster with well spaced loops to distribute & handle the weight. Then use a sturdy belt. A simple 'Pancake' holster from 'Simply Rugged' holsters would work. I have one for my 4" Redhawk & Blackhawk, both in 45 Colt.

A drop belt and a cross draw won't be convenient. Cross draw becomes a long reach anyway, and dropping it a few extra inches can make a big difference. Personally, a 6.5" barrel and a canted cross draw can get cumbersome, but to each their own.

Check this one out, Kirkpatrick makes some NICE gear:

Kirkpatrick Leather Hunters Cross Draw

It has a canted cross draw and 12 cartridge loops on the belt.

Might suit your needs.

I have been looking into the triple k drop belt and also the deluxe with a strong side holster. Does anyone think this could be suitable for hunting or would this set up be a strictly cowboy action rig?

Back