bobcat vs. lynx

Sharps Shooter

fellas. anybody know how to tell the difference between bobcat and lynx? Here in Colo lynx is protected, bobcat is not... can be hunted during the season w/ the right license.

Sure would hate to plug the wrong cat.

Thanks for your knowledge.

------------------
Regards,

Sharps Shooter.

'74 Sharps... when you care enough to use the very best.

Other than the general appearance, which can be confusing in individual animals, and in various areas. Cheek whiskers and ear tufts are usually longer on the lynx, and they have a more uniform body color, larger feet, and are not as well spotted black and white.

There is one way, diagnostic, actually; but you have to be pretty close to see it. The tip of a bobcat's tail is actually white, whereas the lynx is black. You have to look real close because the bobcat has the white on the underside and just the very tip is white. Looking from the top of the tail, it appears to be black. With the lynx, there is no mistake, it is completely black all the way around.

Good hunting. LB

The spots on lynx are very very indestinguished. They're more noticeable in the summer and on the belly/undercoat. But in the winter they're just a feathered grey/brown. They also have more of a dished face, with kind of a "mask" and a "beared" that hangs from bohs sides of the chin.

Sharps,
Unless you spend 100's of hours calling cats in the Aspen and Vail dark timber bowls and 8 feet of snow you will surely not have to worry about calling the wrong cat.
It's hard enough getting the right cat in let alone worrying about the wrong one.
smile.gif

Paul

So P-P (Predator Paul) if I understand your advice correctly, as long as I only call for 100 hours or less, and it's not in some "Bowl" near aspen, I won't call in any lynx? What? It takes over 100 hours calling in a "bowl" to get a lynx? What sort of powder is IN that bowl?

I've never heard of that problem. Now, this bowl you speak of, is it a soup bowl, a cereal bowl, a mixing bowl or what? I wonder if a fella could mimic the sounds of the bowl by cupping his hands just right... Can I use the bowl technique elsewhere other than aspen without worrying about calling in the wrong cat?

rolleyes.gif

Seriously: how does one tell the difference between a bobcat and a lynx? Or don't you know?

------------------
Regards,

Sharps Shooter.

'74 Sharps... when you care enough to use the very best.

Sharps,
Very cute!
smile.gif

But what my message said between the lines had nothing to do with your breakfast. What I really said was....

You are not going to call enough nor in the right area to worry about a lynx. But if you do, you will most certainly know the lynx when you see one. Very distinctive. As the posts discribed.

Paul
P.S. But if you decide to hike into the "bowls" that hold lynx and call in the areas mentioned, let me know. I'll buy some big snow shoes and go with ya.

Lynx are very easy to call and will come to a predator call justlike a bobcat. Lynx are about twice as big as the average sized bobcat. You can not mistake a lynx from a bobcat as he is a very solid light to charcoal grey color with a cream to light white colored belly. Bobcats will show spots more often than not. Some more so than others. Lynx do not show spots during calling seasons unless very young. The ear tuffs on lynx are a 1/3 again longer than a bobcats and the face is more round and fuller than a bobcats. Face tuffs are longer as well. When calling lynx, you can expect more than one per stand when calling with the right sounds and with certain equipment that will make lynx vocalizations. I have students that are calling in 3 to 5 per stand several times a year. They are far more aggressive than a bobcat when coming in to the sounds. They will also kill every bobcat they come accross. I have called in several in Montana and I have several students that call them in Alaska. I have great video footage of everyone of them. The best thing is they are still out there too! Good hunting,
Steve

------------------
www.azpredatorhunts.com

[This message has been edited by Steve Craig (edited 09-28-2001).]

Lynx may come to a call quickly, but that don't make them easy to hunt!! You have to be in a lynx area first. I've lived in AK 7 years and never called a lynx. I've seen a few, but never called them. They're fairly rare. You can only get I believe 1 lynx a year...maybe two? You have to take them to a state biologist to seal the hide and put a marker on it. Compare that to the 5caribou (7?), 5 deer, and 3 blackbear you can get!!

The lynx we've seen have crossed the road ahead of us. Last spring one just sat about 15 FEET off the road and stared at us. He was facing away and just kept looking over his shoulder to check us out, like he could care less. I hade my pistol (.22) aimed right at the back of his head and my brother was flipping through the regs to see if it was in season. damn, season had just closed
frown.gif
I've heard other people talk about this too. They're real curious and not overly skitty like a bobcat.

BM,

I think you might short yourself in the lynx department if you get the chance at a few this year.

In most areas covered under the hunting regulations, your allowed two. The opening day verys from Nov 1, Nov 10, Dec 1.

Under the trapping regulations in most of the state the bag limit is "No Limit". For an extra $15 trapping license you can call and shoot away. Not to mention call at night with the assistance of a light.
biggrin.gif

Lynxs hides must be sealed within 30 days of kill, and they must be sealed by an authorized department representative.

Badmedicine . . .

Yup...thats a typical Lynx attitude. One pulled that on me near my house a few years ago....everytime I got to within 15 ft. it slowly walked away bored as hell. Typical cat attitude.

Zap me an e-mail at: cas@alaska.net ..... got a few ideas to discuss.

Cas in Alaska

Originally posted by BadMedicine:
Lynx may come to a call quickly, but that don't make them easy to hunt!! You have to be in a lynx area first. I've lived in AK 7 years and never called a lynx. I've seen a few, but never called them. They're fairly rare. You can only get I believe 1 lynx a year...maybe two? You have to take them to a state biologist to seal the hide and put a marker on it. Compare that to the 5caribou (7?), 5 deer, and 3 blackbear you can get!!

The lynx we've seen have crossed the road ahead of us. Last spring one just sat about 15 FEET off the road and stared at us. He was facing away and just kept looking over his shoulder to check us out, like he could care less. I hade my pistol (.22) aimed right at the back of his head and my brother was flipping through the regs to see if it was in season. damn, season had just closed
frown.gif
I've heard other people talk about this too. They're real curious and not overly skitty like a bobcat.

------------------
For a GREAT Business Opportunity,
and OUTSTANDING shopping experience...
EXPLORE: www.cgdevelopment.net
Referral # 779609
Password: guest
And: www.quixtar.com

Referral# 779609

Lets just get on to answering Sharp's question.

All the lynx released were fitted with collars. One Idiot from Louisiana shot one with a collar on during a big game hunt.

Looks like a bobcat...no collar..= dead

Back