AR mount for Nikon Coyote Special scope?

roxie

I know this is kind of an "optics" questions, but I thought I might get a better response here.

For those of you using a Nikon Coyote Special scope on your AR, what mount did you use with it?

Nikon M223? Burris PEPR? Other?

I'm considering the scope (in 4.5-14x40), but I'm not sure what mount would work best.

I went with the Burris PEPR. I had the Nikon High mount on it at first, but changed it out to the Burris. The Burris sets the scope forward and higher making it easier to look through the scope and to grasp the charging handle.

I have that scope with the m223 mount, although it could be a tad higher mount I find it doesnt bother me.

I do prefer my vortex viper mounted in my pepr, apples to oranges though

I have both, and like both alot. They're almost idential in function, both give good scope placement providing a good cheek weld, both move the scope far enough forword to clear the charging handle, etc, etc. The Burris comes with 2 sets of ring tops, one with picatinny rails and one with smooth tops (the Nikon just came with regular smooth tops). I like the PEPR better for that reason. Other than that, they're pretty much the same. You really can't go wrong with either of em.

I know the Nikon M223 has the built-in 20 MOA. And I assume the Burris PEPR does not?

Will the 20 MOA have any ill-effect on the performance of the scope, knowing that my longest shots would be no more than 300-350 yds. I understand the built-in 20 MOA can be beneficial for long range shooting with a scope that has limited MOA adjustment.

ROXIE

The Burris P.E.P.R. scope mounting system for an AR platform will be hard to beat..... They look good plus are VERY well engineered, designed, constructed, and priced.... Their Picatinny base, cantilever design and relatively high ring positioning assure a good cheek weld and proper eye relief for just about any application.... These integral mount/rings systems are VERY ruggedly constructed employing the use of six recessed Allen type screws to secure each of the two ring caps to the base section..... This integrated system guarantees a perfect alignment of the scope and rings... The base section is secured to the AR platform by the use of two heavy duty hex-nuts which allow the use of a box-end wrench or socket to assure a secure and firm fit to the AR platform....

An optional set of ring caps that include a machined top mounted Picatinny rail is included with each purchase.... This allows you to pick your choice of ring caps to met your needs for mounting an accessory light or a laser, holographic, red-dot sight...

The Burris P.E.P.R. systems are offered for either 1" or 30mm scopes...

Personally, as an option I would like to see Burris offer this system with a zero-returnable quick mount/detachable mount such as the proven LaRue mounts... I believe I have seen this option offered by some other manufacturer but I can't remember which one...

Below I have attached a few photos of Burris P.E.P.R. scope mounting systems on a couple of AR 15 rifles... The first two photos are of my new RRA Fred Eichler edition 5.56mm AR 15 rifle with a 3-12x56 Meopta with lighted reticule... The second set of photos are of a Remington R-15 CS Carbine in .223 Rem... It too features the Burris P.E.P.R. scope mounting system which ialong with a Bushnell 6500 Elite 2.5-16x50 scope with a duplex reticule....

BurrisPEPRMount_zpsf04dc32a.jpg

*** Close-up view of RRA Fred Eichler Predator Edition in 5.56mm, Burris P.E.P.R mount/rings and Meopta 3-12x56 lighted reticule, 30mm tube scope ***

RRAFredEichlerEdition_zps091760bb.jpg

*** RRA Fred Eichler Predator Edition in 5.56mm, Burris P.E.P.R mount/rings and Meopta 3-12x56 lighted reticule, 30 mm tube scope ***

]
Close-upofReceiverandscope_zps1e56f428.jpg

*** Close-up view of Remington R-15 CS Carbine, Burris P.E.P.R mount/rings and Bushnell 6500 Elite 2.5-16x50, 30mm tube, duplex reticule scope ***

R-151_zps50c6f0ea.jpg

*** Remington R-15 CS Carbine, Burris P.E.P.R mount/rings and Bushnell 6500 Elite 2.5-16x50, 30mm tube, duplex reticule scope ***

I have the Warne one piece mount on both my 223 and my 6.8 They are a little pricey (125.00) but not too bad and they are made in the USA. Have the picatinney rails on both sides so you can mount a light or second sight also. I looked at the Burris PEPR but didn't like that they were made in China.

Originally Posted By: firemanstevec34I have the Warne one piece mount on both my 223 and my 6.8 They are a little pricey (125.00) but not too bad and they are made in the USA. Have the picatinney rails on both sides so you can mount a light or second sight also. I looked at the Burris PEPR but didn't like that they were made in China.
Yup, "made in China" is definately the biggest drawback to the PEPR.

Cost more but much nicer then either Burris or Nikon and that would be the American Defense or Larue mounts. Plus they are QD mounts.

I really like my PEPR also, its a shame its made in China but for what it is I am not worried about it.

On the few times I have removed mine and put it back on the return to zero was not as bad as one would think, it has drifted less than a half an inch or so each time. A few times I put it back on with almost a perfect return to zero.

Leupold mark 4 super high rings. Go straight to the rail with them... Built like a tank. Hard to beat. I've got an extra 1" set if anyone needs them...

PEPR work well and are a good option and a very good value. They do make a QD version for a little bit more money. However, these are not a return to zero. I had a set and the very best I ever did was about 1.5" return to zero.

I tried out the American Defense. They were a huge jump in quality, however, they still weren't a great return to zero option. Still wasn't able to return under 1" @ 100 yrds. I ended up picking up a used LaRue and a Bobro. I haven't looked back. All I run on all of my AR's is LaRue or Bobro.

They are quite a bit more money, but buy once, cry once. You can find used ones from time to time for a good price. That's what I do.

I am using the RRA mount on my R-15 and it has been great for me. I had a buddy who had an extra one and I couldn't find anything else locally. I would buy another again though. I really like it.

I installed the camo matching Nikon AR mount. The only problem is that the base of the mount is a three piece affair: the base and two separate floating clamps. This requires extra care aligning the base with the bore while the clamps are loose and keeping it aligned while the clamps are tightened. Don't ever plan on retaining zero if the mount system is loosened or removed. You will have to re-sight.

I bought the Rock River Arms RRA scope mount one piece canted forward with large screws for the quick mount and dismount setup. I use a big screw driver to torque the screws down or take them off.

This device holds my Nikon M223 Rifle Scope BCD 600 model.

I shoot at the 200 yard range and with a lead sled device to sign in the rifle/scope/rings.

I bought the Wheeler Professional Scope Mounting Kit and check the alignment of the rings with this kit and the rings were perfectly aligned from the factory.

I keep the scope off my AR15 and in a large foamed lined pistol case for safe keeping. I put it on the rifle at the range and start shooting. If I put the scope back on the same spot on my AR15's Picatinny rail the zero is maintained. But if I try to install the RRA in the wrong slots of the Picatinny Rail the sights are way off. I found that the mount was not level on the rail as my rail is two pieces and there are no slots in a section of the rails. The receiver rail is perfect but the extra rail is on the top of the modular float rail and I took that MFR off to clean the outside of my 18" long barrel and put it back on. I think I got it back on a little tilted so I need to take it off and realign it again to get it perfectly aligned with the receivers Picatinny rail. They should match up and both be on the same level to get everything to work right. I was not aware of how the modular float rail was attached to the receiver until I took it loose and unscrewed it. Only 4 little set screws hold the modular float rail in place. I have to loosen those four screws and then turn the modular float rail a bit clockwise or counter clock wise to get it's top rail in line perfectly with the rail on the receiver. The rail on the receiver is fixed in place. Where the two rail sections meet there is a solid part about 1" long that has no slots and that's where my RRA was not getting put on right.

I had the RRA and the scope mounted perfectly on the receiver's rail system but then I added a Magpul Second Generation back up sights to the end of the Receives rail and that caused me to have to move the RRA's mount forward on the rail system. This is where I had some trouble as the front section of the RRA mount didn't match up on the rail system to the slots. I have to either move the RRA mount back on the receivers rail or forward a bit to make the cross screws match up to the slots in the rail system. Once I got that figured out I could take the RRA/scope off the rails and put it back on right without the poi moving. The gun system retailed its' zero setting properly now.

Last edited:
Back