I need a predator tracking dog, but know nothing about dogs-PLEASE HELP

You sound like my wife Jesse. If it wasnt for her mine would be in the house as we speak. My dog works hard for me. I figure she deserves it. My wife does not agree. lol

mine gets to sleep in the garage and when it is real cold out i shut the door and turn the heater on out there. i just cant take dog hair all over my furniture.lol.

Dont get me wrong guys i have three in the house right now. Just not my hunting dogs. One is supposed to be a hunting dog, but ruined by the wife. I just dont like the way a house dog acts in the field.

Maybe its just mine, but it has been my experience that a house dog acts just about the same in the yard as it does in the field. I dont want my dogs running around chasing bugs, wizzing on bushes. I dont want them running up and jumping on me, or constantly looking to see where i am, or seeking constant approval or praise.

These are some of the things i see in house dogs.

Guys im not saying there is anything wrong with your hunting dog living in the house. or that your dog is any less for it. Just my opinion.

ive never been a fan of a bigger dog in the house. now the lapdogs that dont shed i am ok with. my furniture was way too expensive to have dog hair all over it!!!haha

Mine sheds and eats grass while on stand and then throws it up and eats it again. Gets on my nerves something fierce.

Mine sheds and used to puke bad. i was feeling sorry for him when it was real cold and let him ride in the back seat of the truck. it was covered in hair in no time. He got to get in the bed of the truck pretty quick. When I 1st got him back he puked all the time. I took him to the vet and after a worming, a gut cleanse, and some meds to seetle his gut, I haven't seen him puke since. Makes the back of my truck look alot better!!1 haha

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoubleCKDo you Guy's Curs shed? Pass Gas? Puke up the garbage they eat on the creek?
Dont know about shedding, but gassing & picking up sticks to carry sounds like someones dog I know, but it still is a puppy in training.....LOL

My patterdale isn't much of a sniffer. But when I hear her. It running I circles at 100mph that usually means she found the animal and is chewing on it.

Thanks for all the help guys. We have "the world's largest Yorkie" (about 25 lbs) and a 100 lb German Shepherd that live inside. The GSD is super intelligent would do a great job at tracking, sitting still, etc. but she is about as conspicuous as an M1 Abrams and am afraid would intimidate any coyote that saw her. The Yorkie seems dumb as a post and I have never heard of anyone using them to track until you John. May be a way for it to earn its dog bisquits until I can get a real dog.

I have ordered John Jeanneney's book from Amazon and will read it.

Well, it happened again Tuesday night. We've had no winter yet. Our low Tuesday was higher than our average high. 15+ mph wind out of the south that Tuesday night, so I was trying to find spots out of the wind. Long story short, called a yote who sneaked in across two fences and the highway to come in 70 yards behind us before we saw him. He crossed our wind, but I had sprayed some of Tony's Predator Confidence lure out and he didn't bolt. My buddy shot him with his .22-250 and we both heard a solid THWOCK. Yote went down but got up, spun and ran to the woods before he could put another in him (he needed an "assault rifle" instead of a bolt action). For two hours, we trailed an arterial blood trail that looked like someone had used a watering can to sprinkle for at least 500 yards until the yote left the woods and crossed a muddy cow watering hole. I pointed out to my buddy that if we'd had a dog, we would not only have taken home a dead yote that night, but probably could have made 4 more stands.

Last edited:
German sheppards will track anything if you will show it what to track. if you are only using for tracking, just leve it at the truck until you need it. then you dont have to buy another dog.haha. i would not let my yorkie track one by itself!! espeacially if i had a thought that it could still be alive at the end of the trail.

My GSD already "tracks" every dead thing I drag through the yard to dispose of in the woods behind the house unless I stop her.

As far as the Yorkie, I could only hope that there was live coyote at the end of the trail.
rolleyes.gif

Kizmo,

you'll find in that book that most blood trails like you discribed are head/jaw shots, the bleed alot and are easy to track but not always quickly fatal.

again good luck try that GSD of yours

Man, I can't wait to get that book. I think you're right, impactzone. I never found where bloody fur wiped/smudged on anything, and there were places where there were numerous blood drops sprinkled on either side of the main blood trail, like he must have shaken his bleeding head. The "tails" on the blood drops would frequently point in conflicting directions too. That loud THWOCK we heard was similar to head shots I've made in the past too, louder than the average "thump" of a body shot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kizmo there were numerous blood drops sprinkled on either side of the main blood trail, like he must have shaken his bleeding head. The "tails" on the blood drops would frequently point in conflicting directions too.

your right on

Originally Posted By: NorcalkyleOriginally Posted By: Jesse lackeyI will probably get rolled on this one, but i personally dont think a hunting dog should be a couch dog also.

I disagree....
no dog belongs on a couch, thats my opinion.

but my black and tan, Jozi, regularly out-tracks well trained coyote/bobcat dogs. we never trained her a day in our lives besides as a pup we would point to a track and say "hunt em up" and a little discipline if she chased deer....never used scents or live animals or any of that to train her

Jozi treed two bobcats this year in PA, we hunted 2 days, 2 dead cats. there was a guy with us that had 3 trained dogs, and hunts all over the place with his dogs. Our Jozi put them to shame.

Back