Nice big male down from last night!

Bryan8

I just picked up a Savage in .204 a few weeks ago and finally got around to getting brass and dies and loaded up some rounds yesterday. Got it sighted in during the day and was going to go during the night to see if I could get some action with it.

First two stands were a bust, 3rd stand set up and in about 5 mintues with the rubber rabbit, had a pair or yotes come in and stop at 200 yards. It a far shot without sticks for me but I pulled up turned on the kill light and fired off a round at the first yote it starting spinning so I gave it another and then got a shot off at the other but missed. First round caught it back a little, 2nd right in the head.

image-3_zpsd76caafe.jpg

image-3_zpsf386503b.jpg

I'm 6'1" for a reference. This guy had to be close to 60lbs way heavyer than holding a feed sack like that. It's my bigest yote I got so far.

Though I'd share!
Bryan

I'm shooting 32g Noslers on top of 26grains of h-322

Real accurate in my gun. I was getting 1-1/2 inch grounds at 200 with it and around 2 at 300 yards yesterday.

Bryan

sweet yah i just loaded the same but in 223. super accurate at the range. I put 5 bullets in the same hole at 100 yards and that was with a 50 yard zero. Haven't tested them out on meat yet. Any fur damage?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CanineKillasweet yah i just loaded the same but in 223. super accurate at the range. I put 5 bullets in the same hole at 100 yards and that was with a 50 yard zero. Haven't tested them out on meat yet. Any fur damage?

It seems like it pokes a pin hole in and blows about a 1" hole out the other side. Thats what the head shot did, and the back father shot did about the same. Not real fur friendly, but not bad. I do know it will zip through a rail road plate target at 100 yards no problem
cursing.gif
The yotes around me have mange alot this year so I havent been keeping them.

I have some 34g downtown and 40g noslers I want to try

Bryan

Originally Posted By: Shoebuckuse a 243 and you will only need one shot, not knocking the 204 but I think it is a little small for a 45 lb coyote

It is not too small. Have you had personal experience with one? The reason it took two shots was because my first shot hit it back to far. Personal error not the rounds fult. I could of wacked it with my 7mm-08 and it would of taken two shots. No need for .243 when there's alot of other more fur friendly options. What happens when a fox or cat walks out and you have a .243? You'll have a bloody mess

Bryan

Originally Posted By: Bryan8Originally Posted By: Shoebuckuse a 243 and you will only need one shot, not knocking the 204 but I think it is a little small for a 45 lb coyote

It is not too small. Have you had personal experience with one? The reason it took two shots was because my first shot hit it back to far. Personal error not the rounds fult. I could of wacked it with my 7mm-08 and it would of taken two shots. No need for .243 when there's alot of other more fur friendly options. What happens when a fox or cat walks out and you have a .243? You'll have a bloody mess

Bryan

243 can be fur friendly. I have shot over 10 coyotes and a couple fox with my 243 this year with minimal fur damage. I have seen 204 open foxes right up. I shot this gray with my 243.

2013-01-27_10-57-12_989.jpg

I agree. I'm shooting a .243 and shot a couple fox this year that had minimal damage. Bullet design seems to be the big factor. I've been getting less pass throughs with the .243 then I use to get with the .223 , shooting the the same grain . Thought that was kinda odd.

Back