Remington R 15 in 204 ruger problems

Daksolutions

Got a R 15 in 204 about two weeks ago. Mounted the scope and went to site it in. First ammo I tried was Hornady V max 40 gr. Groups were terrible. Looking at the paper I noticed that there weren't round holes but you could see where the bullet was tumbling and going through at every different angle. I was told that the gun must not be able to handle 40gr ammo. Ok tried 32 gr and now I have round holes but the groups are still terrible. Anyone have any ideas. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

I have the same rifle. It doesn't like the 40gr vmax bullets either. I loaded some 35 and 40 grain Bergers as well as some 39gr Sierras. It seems to like the 35 & 39gr bullets best but the 40gr Bergers weren't too bad either. My guess is you might have to try loading your own to get the results you want. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you will for sure but I do know that the factory vmax shot like horse manure out of my rifle.

Oh and welcome to PM!

Last edited:
I'm sure that you'll get a lot of good feedback on ideas but I would start with a good strip and cleaning the bore with solvent. Check your scope and make sure it's level and tight. Shoot off a stable rest and table. May even be the quality of the scope. Good glass isn't expensive, it's priceless!

Originally Posted By: BillfromHighlandI'm sure that you'll get a lot of good feedback on ideas but I would start with a good strip and cleaning the bore with solvent. Check your scope and make sure it's level and tight. Shoot off a stable rest and table. May even be the quality of the scope. Good glass isn't expensive, it's priceless!

All good points. You didn't define "terrible", but you may find a different brand ammo even in the same bullet weight will shoot better.

I should have defined "terrible" I mean that I am getting groups of 3" to 4" @ 100yds. I have another AR in 223 and it is always under 1" with Hornady V max 55gr. The optics on this gun is a new Vortex 4-16 x 44 mm. I am shooting prone on bipods which is how I usually sight in. I will try to give the barrel a good scrub down.

Don't rule out loose or defective optics. That could also affect it.

I had a keltec that did the same thing. Turned out to be a bad sight (Vortex Strikefire). Nothing seemed to work until I swapped it to a (Of all things) a Barska I had laying around.

Originally Posted By: BillfromHighlandI'm sure that you'll get a lot of good feedback on ideas but I would start with a good strip and cleaning the bore with solvent. Check your scope and make sure it's level and tight. Shoot off a stable rest and table. May even be the quality of the scope. Good glass isn't expensive, it's priceless!

Keyholing is a problem, and that's a bullet weight to twist factor that's going to determine bullet weight and load that it likes.

Like Guru said. It's not worth much but in my opinion it's not stabilizing the 40gr vmaxs. I'm thinking it a 1/12 twist and the only .204 I've owned with a 1/12 that would was my savage model 12. Every other preferred 35gr Bergers or similar. Once I went to a 1/10 barrel the 40s shoot great! Just a thought.

Passmore

When I first went into the .204s when they first hit the market (about 2005), I only had factory ammo in the 40gr and 32gr to work with..Both my custom AR and my Savage didn't like the 32gr and 40gr was barely acceptable...

Shortly after, I started reloading and found that 39gr with the right powder/primer combination was almost a one hole situation and moved onto reloading the 35gr Bergers with almost as good results..

I've recently acquired 400 rounds of 32gr Noslers and am determined to find the right load for them....I want to go Praire Dog shooting this Summer....

I have the same rifle. 40g v-max at 100 yds grouped at 1.22 inches. This is off sand bags and with the addition of a Timney trigger.
I started loading and loaded 35g Bergers and the group now is .167" at 100yards.

Start to load!

Lyle

I have been looking at the same rifle but just waiting for the prices to settle. Now i will wait to see how the bullets settle as well.

For what its worth i had a 204 ruger in a heavy barreled savage and it would shoot sub moa w/ 32 & 35 grainers( didnt like any heavier ) anyway after shooting factory ammo for brass i reloaded up some 32 grain bergers and it did the same thing liked like i was shooting rice!! Was talking to a reloading guru i know and he said w / those tiny bullets you need to chamfer the inside of brass with the VLD chamfering tool which i didnt know there was a difference. Anyway tried it and wow ! Right back to almost 5 shot one hole groups. I now use the vld tool on all small bullets 6mm down.

I had a rem r-15 in 204 and it shot the 32 grain vmax awesome. Holes were touching at 100 yds. The 40 gr vmax were crapppy at best. Either scope of rings bases the usual suspects.

Mark.

Just an update. Cleaned and strippped the barrel. No change. Mounted a different scope. No change. Tried 32 gr silvertip ammo. No change. Finally broke down and made the call to Remington. I will be shipping it back to them for their review/repair. Don't know how long it will take for this process. Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

My .204 AR is 1-12 twist. This a 3 shot group (.282) with 35 grain bergers. Out of targets that day.

New204.jpg

100_0389.jpg

Jim

I have a .204 from www.jprifles.com It will shoot sub MOA with 40gr Hornady but will shoot under .250 with HMS 35gr Bergers at 3840 fps and under .250 with 32gr Hornady at 4000 fps. My barrel is 22" and has a 1/12 twist. The 40's will provide a decent group and are plenty good for hunting and killing coyotes but the 32's and 35's group much better and will also terminate coyotes.

Last edited:
Back