midwestpredator

Im wondering if anyone has any loads for:
50gr SBK
52gr SMK
52gr Amax
52gr Berger target
55gr SBK
using varget powder??

I should add that Im going to work up like always...just curious to see whats working for people

When I got my first .223 I experimented with Varget as it had been so successful for me with a 22-250. I soon found out that I couldn't cram enough powder in that .223 case to get the velocity that I was hoping to achieve.

On another board a poster gave a formula for .223/5.56 loads using RL-7 and Bingo velocity and accuracy to meet my needs. I just found Varget too slow in the .223 for me.

Im actually not loading mine with varget im going with ar comp. by all reports ar comp = varget - 1.5gr. Im just wanting to see if there is a "sweet spot" with varget in any of these pills and then Im going to see if I find that same sweet spot with ar comp. like you said varget is a tad slow so with the slightly faster ar comp I think I will have a nice combo.

While I will admit that Varget is a touch slow burning for the likes of the .223 Remington I use it 10 times as much as all the other .223 powders simply because it day in day out gives me the best accuracy. 26 grains with either the Vmax or the Ballistic Tip 50 grain bullets have sure racked up a lot of kills for me and put a lot of smiles on my face. Plus it is a low pressure load so I get lots of reloads out of my brass. Lots and lots.

I have tried Varget in my other chamberings but for me at least, it is simply The Powder for the .223 Remington.

55 vmax 25gr.has been best for me went up to 26gr and ended up picking 25gr as it had the tightest group and I will take accuracy over a hundred feet per second any day.

Originally Posted By: RustydustWhile I will admit that Varget is a touch slow burning for the likes of the .223 Remington I use it 10 times as much as all the other .223 powders simply because it day in day out gives me the best accuracy. 26 grains with either the Vmax or the Ballistic Tip 50 grain bullets have sure racked up a lot of kills for me and put a lot of smiles on my face. Plus it is a low pressure load so I get lots of reloads out of my brass. Lots and lots.

I have tried Varget in my other chamberings but for me at least, it is simply The Powder for the .223 Remington.

Totally agree. Especially re the 50 grain Nosler BT. My .223s both love that bullet paired with Varget. I'm personally driving 26-27 grains.

I'm pretty sure there are powder choices that could drive the bullets faster, but I tried a lot of powders and nothing drove it better. I've got a Contender pistol dialed in to sub-1 inch 5 shot groups all day long and if I really buckle down, I can be under .8. I've seen more than a few factory ammo .223 shooters that can't do with that a rifle.

Obviously, as everyone knows, the trick with Varget and the .223 is you're sometimes right on top of the case capacity, so as you near the top end of some load/bullet combos, it's compressed.

The other thing I love about Varget, is that it's sooooo versatile. .243, .22-250, etc, I shoots well in everything. Yes, it's not ALWAYS the best, but it's really [beeep] good in a lot of chamberings.

Grouse

I've used Varget in my 222mag and the speeds were scary fast, so much so I dropped back on the powder charge.

I was using 28.8grs Varget (the 222mag has about 5% more case capacity than a 223) under a 55gr Combined TEch bullet and hit 3,450fps out of my Sako Vixen. No pressure signs, but I didn't want to damage this gun.

Varget might be slow for the lighter bullets, but give it a try with the 55gr, or heavier bullets.

Back