Remington 1100 help

CSM52

Have a Remington 1100 (older model) 12 gauge 3 inch magnum. My problem is that when i shoot it wont cycle shells. I have tried all different shells and also have cleaned the best i could without dissembling it.

Does it just need to be taken apart and cleaned or yall think it needs a gun smith?

it shoots fine the only problem is cycling shells

Thanks

I have the same exact 1100, you need to tear it down and clean it. The trigger can be a bit of a trick to get back in just right. But more than likely that is not your problem, but it doesnt hurt do take the trigger assembly out and clean it, I wouldnt pull it apart when you get it out just clean the best you can. Here is what I did to get mine to cycle again, and I would bet if you do the same your will work again.

1st take the forearm off and take the barrel off there will be a big o-ring on the metal tube somewhere's check that and make sure its not rotted out if it is go to ace and get a new one.

2nd those barrels have a vent hole in them sometimes you have to clean the barrel and look inside to see it, once you find it you'll be able to tell where it is on the outside, and its angled, get a drill bit and clean that hole out, if you go a touch bigger it wont hurt anything. That should cure your problems it did for me. Alot of those 1100's never get cleaned because people are scared of them. Now I can run light weight skeet loads throug mine with no problem.

I would try the o ring first if it doesnt work you may have to replace the whole pack. Mine worked with just the o ring replaced and the vent cleaned.

they are easy to take apart, may be intimidating at first but look up directions on the internet if you dont have the manual or even look up a youtube video. when disasembled, check that the action spring functions smoothly, check the the outside of the magazine tube is thoroughly cleaned and finally check the gas ports. the gas ports are little holes in the barrel that allow gas to flow through and push the action back. you will see them when you take the barrel off and look where it wraps around the magazine. poke a paper clip or pipe cleaned through them and look down the barrel, you will be able to tell if that was your problem

edit: check the o ring first

Last edited:
"if it is go to ace and get a new one."

If "Ace" is a gunsmithing supplier yes...if you mean Ace hardware forget it. That little ring is not a rubber O-ring like sold at hardware stores. It is a harder impregnated material to last and help hold up to the heat of operating gases. Brownell's is your best source. A plain rubber ring will work, it will confirm that you need a new one but it will not last very long. Mnay things will cause 1100's to short stroke. The 3" magnum 1100 will only cycle properly with 3" magnum shells. It has only one gas port and a heavier weight on the action bar. It can be converted to shoot 2 3/4" easy enough...just drill the other gas port and if you want to swithc it back to 3" tap the extra hole and screw in a plug.

Thanks for the help guys! Ill do that tomorrow. I really love this gun and hadnt shot it in about a year or so and took it to shoot the other day and found that it was not cycling. what length barrel does yalls have? Mine has a 30 inch! I think its a goose barrel but all i know is it patterns very well out to 60 yards

Originally Posted By: msinc "if it is go to ace and get a new one."

If "Ace" is a gunsmithing supplier yes...if you mean Ace hardware forget it. That little ring is not a rubber O-ring like sold at hardware stores. It is a harder impregnated material to last and help hold up to the heat of operating gases. Brownell's is your best source. A plain rubber ring will work, it will confirm that you need a new one but it will not last very long. Mnay things will cause 1100's to short stroke. The 3" magnum 1100 will only cycle properly with 3" magnum shells. It has only one gas port and a heavier weight on the action bar. It can be converted to shoot 2 3/4" easy enough...just drill the other gas port and if you want to swithc it back to 3" tap the extra hole and screw in a plug.

Funny you say that cuz my oring has been in there for a couple years now with no issues. Mine shoots 2 3/4 just fine you dont need to go drilling extra holes in the barrel, that isnt necassary. I would bet money if you clean out the port thats already there and replace the oring you will be able to shoot 2 3/4 shells. We have two of them in the family that will shoot just about anything you run through it as long as everything is clean and working how its supposed to.

Ill get her all cleaned up tomorrow and let you guys know what the diagnosis turned out to be! Thanks again for the advice

I have a handfull of 1100s- great guns. I used one trapshooting - singles and doubles for years as a kid and learned how to clean them quickly.The 3" inch will shoot target loads if clean.
Pull the bolt back, remove the forearm and barrel.
The O ring should be sitting in a shallow groove about four inches from the end of the magazine tube. Remove it and look for wear- i.e. cracks or small pieces worn off. Get a new one if needed and get an extra one even though the newer ones are tougher than heck.
Remove the the two sliding rings from the magazine tube being carful to note exactly how they are positioned,and clean well.
Clean the magazine tube by wiping it with a rag and Hoppes or something that dissolves powder until it is shiny and slippery.
Hold the bolt handle and press the bolt release button on the bottom of the receiver and let the bolt assembly slowly move forward until it stops, then clean the magazine tube area closest to the receiver.
Look at the gas port in the barrel mounting ring and clean by poking it with a drill bit or paper clip.
Put it all back together and run it dry - no oil.
I bet it will run great if dirt was the problem.

If you haven't cleaned the bolt return spring, and bolt
return spring housing, located in the butt stock, my money
is on that being your problem. Yes, try the easy stuff first,
like replacing the O ring, and even upgrading the metal
gas seals, if you have the old style. But if it hand cycles
like there is peanut butter in the action, or it chokes
when the temps are lower, the bolt return spring needs to
be cleaned.

Squeeze

Originally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachOriginally Posted By: msinc "if it is go to ace and get a new one."

Funny you say that cuz my oring has been in there for a couple years now with no issues. Mine shoots 2 3/4 just fine you dont need to go drilling extra holes in the barrel, that isnt necassary. I would bet money if you clean out the port thats already there and replace the oring you will be able to shoot 2 3/4 shells. We have two of them in the family that will shoot just about anything you run through it as long as everything is clean and working how its supposed to.

O.K. dude...I believe you.

I took it all apart this morning and checked on the oring and it seemed to be in good condition. No tears, dry rotting etc..

Where on the barrel is the vent hole? I didnt have much time and couldnt find it?

Until you remove the stock and clean, lightly lube with remoil, the action tube and spring. It will never operate correctly. If you do not have the skill, take it to a remington approved gun shop. The stock might be rusted on and it takes a few special tools to fully clean a 1100 correctly. It is not hard but to fully clean and maintain a 1100 takes about 20 minutes.

Quote:Where on the barrel is the vent hole? I didnt have much time and couldnt find it?....The gas vent hole is just under the location of the "O" ring....It does get a degree of build up, especially if you are shooting target level loads...

Mine used to need cleaning after every 3-gun match or after a 100 round set of sporting clays..

I took it all apart and how many orings are in the piston assembley? Two or one? If its 1 i have it if its two im missing one

Oh k well then hopefully cleaning the port will solve my problem, the only other thing i did not do was trigger assembley and taking the stock off

Back