Tweety, the Fox, Formula 44 and more....

Curt Barrett

A coyote a day, keeps the doctor away!

That may be true. I'm getting some great exercise lately! Even shed some blubber. LOL
Man, it's been an action packed week. I will try not to bore you to death and shorten up. They are coming like crazy lately. Out of a dozen or more coyotes (plus a couple missed. LOL) I will share a couple yarns.

My father in-law was asking me if I was dropping coyotes off on his property instead of hunting them cuz he had been seeing so many. LOL We were stopped on the paved road in separate rigs talking and he points in the field and said "there's one now". It was kind of far and there was a crosswind so I wasn't going to try, but he just stood there. I swear I could hear laughing. I decided to try. Flipped the Harris Bi-Pod down on the 16" fluted Bushmaster AR, cranked the scope up to 10 and took a poke. Dirt kicks up ten feet in front of the coyote. Just once I wish I could make the spectacular shot with a witness. LOL Came back the next morning and parked my rig in the dark shade of a large haystack and watched the creekbank where I missed the coyote. There he was. Just standing there again. I got the AR out and he disappeared in the creek bed. I gave a couple squeaks on the Tweety. Out pops a bigger darker coyote on the opposite side of the creek. He looks around a little then goes to mousing around the cows. This time with no audience, I crank the scope to 10 again and waited for him to get away from the cows a little. Very slight breeze blowing straight behind me. Aimed for the top of his back and nudged the trigger. He starts spinning. I aim for the top of the "spinner" and shoot again. He dropped out of sight and I could still see dust flying. Didn't know if I got him till I paced of 390+ paces and found him. Talk about a lucky shot. I am not a long range shooter so I was tickled. I know that ain't far for a lot of you but that is the farthest shot out of that little 16" AR for me. Big male.
smile.gif

Almost done.

Always wanted to bag a yote with a handgun. Had not done it till the other day. Brought my AR and a SW 629 Classic in case I got one close enough. I set up just over the lip of the same creek but a different spot. The coyotes were running this almost dry creek regularly. Coyote crap everywhere. I called on the Tweety then turned on the Foxpro at it's lowest vol. It was in the bottom of the draw playing woodpecker. Couple minutes go by. Here comes one at the top of the bank but on the other side. He is about 200yrds away and slowly and steadily trotting along. Easy shot for a rifle. He was coming so good I let him keep trotting. I was laying on my stomach cuz no cover. AR on bi-pod and .44 mag laying in front of me.
The coyote followed the bank till he was about 25yds from the caller and about 50 from me. I had picked up the revolver when he has about 100 out and cocked it. He never glanced my way. Couldn't miss while laying down resting on my elbows. 180GR XTP HP shut him down right now! I was surprised at the lack of fur damage.

Yesterday called in a big male, black and brown bossdog with Tweety again. This time I got to try out the AR-10. (I need to reload some 22-250 and .223. LOL) He came in to about 125 and stood broadside looking around. 150 GR Sierra SP kinda knocked the wind out of him. LOL I walk up while he is flat as a pancake and reach down to grab his ear. He makes this last ditch effort to snap at my hand. OOPS! close.

The rest were just the run of the mill point and shoot stands. Used Tweety all week. I love that call! It is a lot like the Pee Wee but takes even less air to blow. Used the Foxpro a few times for distraction.

Pictures at 11:00....

Curt,

Sounds like you are having a great time. 390 plus yards is one helluva good shot in my book too! For me any coyote much past 250 is starting to get out there. Your kind of covering everything even using the .44 handgun.

I also really like that Tweety call, I wish that I had ordered a couple of them in fact. The other day I was going through the interior of my truck cab cussin a blue streak and my wife asked me what was the matter. I was too embarrassed to tell her that Tweety had rolled off the console and under the seat and I was having a heckuva time finding it. I think she thought I lost my credit card,check book,or something much less important than Tweety. So I think I better get a spare.
smile.gif

You been having much luck howling lately?

Keep on whacking those coyotes and thanks for the good story.

------------------

You're right Lonny, I try to keep it under 250 also. 150 or less is even better. This particular coyote looked to be 300 yards to me. I was surprised it paced off more. It was a lucky shot cuz I have missed enough to know better. LOL

I wish I would have got an extra Tweety too. Been howling with that little Tweety. Pups seem to like it as well as adults. I would like to try some different reeds on it just to play around. When calling the woods I have not been howling at all, in hopes of having a equal opportunity stand for coyote, bear or cougar. Anybody else's butt get numb after 45 mins?
smile.gif

Howling at night has been awesome lately. Stupid coyotes got my dogs all fired up last night and woke me and the wife up. Every year about this time everybody's cats start coming up missing. Neighbors start complaining. Cracks me up.

Later, Curt

Great stories Curt, maybe one of these days I'll have some to share...hahaha. So far I haven't had any luck. You know how us "newbies" are.
biggrin.gif

We all were newbies once. This is a great place to learn more. I know I have. The only reason I'm getting any coyotes is I don't have a life...I mean JOB, right now. LOL.
smile.gif
I remember what it was like...being responsible and everything. ha ha. I go to school two days a week is all. Next month start school 5 days a week 8 to 3. Even have to clock in. That's going to be worse then my last job. LOL

Are these tweety's still available? where could I order once? I'm trying to expand my call variety because my calls are limited to sceery and circe and a squirel chirper.. but they get educated to dieing rabbit wuick. I use only mouth blown calls, and want to get some birds calls, and maybe some calf distress...anybody know where they sell moose or elk calf in distress hand calls? I think elk would sound alot like moose maybe. Thanks for any help.

--BadMedicine.

Nice job Curt! Terry must be feeding them yotes out there just for you. he he he. Looking forward to the Thanksgiving hunt. Should be a kick! And, as Jerry said.....leave some for the rest of us!

Back