.327 Federal Magnum?

mike_b

Do any of you use this caliber? Either hunting, plinking, or silhouette shooting. I'm considering getting one later this year from Freedom Arms & just looking for user info on the caliber itself. Thanx in advance!

The .32H&R is a great filler between the rimfires and the bigger centerfires. IMO, the .327 isn't and you'd be better off with getting a .357.

with the 327 you can shoot the 32 H&R and s&W as well, so itll fill the void.

Personally Im thinking of getting my sp101 in H&R redone with a 327 cylinder. More options are nice.

I would love to have a K-framed S&W in .327 Mag. The .327 pressures are right up there in the same league as the .460 S&W Magnum so a 6 shot cylinder would likely be in order to keep things from shaking loose too soon.

Small game and personal protection in a gun that will also shoot the milder than mild .32 S&W short and long? Count me in.

Short of bunnies, no use. Ammo is hard to find and expensive for plinking. No idea if it has the grapes for silo.

Imo, not only is it an answer in search of a question, i dont think the question will ever be found. Unless its "what ballistically duplicates an obsolete cartridge and was intentionally named so it might be confused with a profitable one?"
smile.gif
. Not a fan, so i might be biased
laugh.gif

Buy the 357, shoot light 38's if you want. I also dislike 357, so there ya go!

Or if youre just looking for "modern" and cheap, its ballisticaly equivelant to 9mm if memory serves. Easier by far to find.

I'm very content sticking with the 357/38s over the 327 mag. I can load the whole spectrum below & above the 327, then find ammo on the shelf if ever needed.

I think it is an interesting round but the .357 is a superior choice for a first purchase. Loaded to full SAAMI pressures, the .357 runs away from the .327.

My 6" GP100 runs 1595 fps with 158 gr Buffalo Bore ammo, nearly 900 ft lbs of smack. Don

Interesting perspectives on this round. I have S&W 357 4" bbl & a Taurus 38 snubby. I did some reading on the 327 & like the interchangeability with the 32 rounds. It would seem to me more versatile for a hand loader to load down using the most available of 32 components. Or take it to the extreme with hot loads. This would be plinking cheaper than rim fire ammo & right there with a 357 or at least a hot +p 38 for decent sized vermin. All with in acceptable ranges & using well places shots. I don't roll my own yet but am planning to get some equipment soon. I live in the south east & haven't got many places I would even be presented with a shot over 50 yds. From plinking, squirrels, coons, yotes, & ferals; I think it would be a good option. This all said provided enough supplies could be had to keep hand loading for it. Personally, I don't like the 357 either!

I had a few .32 H&R Mag revolvers (15 of them to be exact), even one of the Marlin Leverguns. Fantastic recoil-free cowboy action guns (marlin sucked for reloads), a bit pricey to plink with unless I rolled my own, very limited supply of quality bullets, and very limited supply of factory ammo.

I carried an SP-101 .32 H&R for ccw for a while, and used a few of the Single Six "Vaquerito's" as rabbit and coyote medicine, loved them.

Ammo supply, and quality bullet supply is what really crippled it for me.

The .327 Federal Mag is a big jump up from the H&R Mag, but I'm not a huge fan of the high pressure you're talking about to get it. I traded my .32 H&R SP-101 towards a .327 Fed SP-101 when it first came out, loved the revolver, but just wasn't happy with the ammo or bullet supply. I ultimately sold it and got another .357mag SP-101.

Variety is the spice of life, so to each their own. There's absolutely NO benefit over the .357mag, unless you're REALLY dead set on the .327 Fed having a flatter trajectory over the heavier .357 mag bullets. Frankly, if you can dope for the .327federal's trajectory with a revolver, you can do the same for a .357mag trajectory. You can get into .38spcl for plinking for dirt cheap, whereas .32 H&R ammo will cost you as much as .357mag rounds, and both .327 and .32H&R are very limited on bullet choice and factory fodder selection.

Some guys shoot .41mags, some shoot .44mags, some shoot .45 colts, no reason there shouldn't be a little more variety at the .327-357 range.

A 6.5" to 7.5", 7-9 shot, adjustable sight, D&T for mount, full frame revolver in .327 Fderal would be something I'd love to own, unfortunately, I haven't heard of anyone producing one, or planning to do so. Would make a WICKED coyote wheelgun... Hopefully someone that's someone is reading this!

Not a 7 or 9 shot but Freedom Arms makes a single action in said caliber. That's my gun of interest for this caliber. 9" bbl, adjustable sights (maybe a red dot or something), & single action to boot. I'm going to research as far as I can into this caliber & I may wind up sticking with the 357/38 platform.

Midway seems to list bullets for both in plentiful supply, and prices are similar. The 32 brass may be harder to find once fired or so, but get what you want. Resale may be less for the 32. Up to yote sized game, maybe even deer, you should be covered.

I think that Freedom Arm would be an absolute blast. I really do. With that 9 inch barrel you could really get some speeds WAY up there. I mean, almost 2200 fps with a 60 grain Hornady HP? How nuts would that be? What would be left of a jackrabbit shot with that? Anything? And no way you are going to blow up a Freedom Arms revolver with some hot loads.

I agree with the other guys that a .357 makes more sense as an all around gun but if you are like me that has plenty of 38/357 guns already then why not?

Get it, enjoy it and shoot the piss out of it. And don't forget to tell us how much fun that you are having with it!
thumbup1.gif

I cant argue with the "because i want it" argument. Half the guns ive bought have been based on the same reasoning
smile.gif

Im currently waiting for my 358 winchester barrel to ship from mideway for about that reason.

One thing I forgot to mention last go 'round. Bullet weight is sometimes an advantage for silo. The little 32's might not take one out if struck on the base. Would depend on who made your particular club or clubs' targets.

Originally Posted By: muskrat30 I'm very content sticking with the 357/38s over the 327 mag. I can load the whole spectrum below & above the 327, then find ammo on the shelf if ever needed.
What he said!!

I have had four 32 H&R magnums, two SP 101s, and two single sixs, still have two. Four and one half grains of Unique and factory second bullets whats not to like? Mine did not do well with 32 S&W long ammo but it isn't that much cheaper than reloading for it. I would have to think the 327 would just be more of a good thing.

Kind of like extra sex, but.from your uncle?

Hehehehehehe

But still its always cheaper to buy ammo for the gun you have than buying a new gun because the ammo is cheaper.

Originally Posted By: NdIndyBut still its always cheaper to buy ammo for the gun you have than buying a new gun because the ammo is cheaper.

That's like saying buying a 40 mpg diesel VW to go to work in is not cheaper than driving your same old 12 mpg truck everyday 50 miles round trip.

Depends how much you shoot.

Worst thing that can happen is you end up with a revolver that you can't feed in a few years (says I as I stare at a Ruger Super Redhawk .480R in my safe...).

I don't think the .32H&R is going anywhere, and if it's not leaving, the Fed Mag aint leaving either. Will you have to scrounge to find it? Sure. Might you be forced to reload? Maybe.

Again, I still think the .32's are a great round for coyotes and small game, especially if we could get some Leverevolution bullets made for it. As mentioned above, a 60grn bullet at 2200fps, but now tag on a spitzer BC, now that'll be more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

Back