Muzzle brake on 243?

Mxracer532

Thinking I wanna do this. Has anyone ever put a brake on a small caliber like a 243 6mm? The gun doesnt kick bad at all but I got a daughter who will be shooting this gun at a very young age and want recoil as light as possible. Also want to see the coyotes eyes when he takes a pill.
w00t.gif

I think the trade off on the louder report with a brake isn't worth it, unless she wears hearing protection while hunting, which is a pain in the rear.

If you're hunting in the woods, you'll get plenty of echo off the trees. If you're hunting out of an enclosed shooting box, most brakes will knock the wax out of your ears.

With most brakes, the shooter doesn't get nearly as much of the report blast as the person/people next to them, but it IS considerably louder than without a brake.

I'm a huge fan of rifles without recoil, I'm thinking of starting a support group for it in fact. Very satisfying to watch your bullet impact the target. A good pad can help prevent a rifle's recoil from hurting, but only extra weight or a brake can stop the rifle from rebounding (muzzle jump). Weight isn't going to help out a kid, so a brake is probably the best option.

I generally have the kids I take hunting with me wear ear muffs anyway. Little ears are a lot more sensitive than adult ears, and frankly, a kid doesn't know any better, whereas an adult can weigh on their own if they'd want hearing protection (I always plug my ears when my partners shoot, or I wear an ear plug in the ear to the side they are on). Kid's are also the most apt to develop a flinch from muzzle blast, so I usually want to make sure they hear as little as possible. (Not to mention, it passes down a good example to the next generation, stressing the importance of hearing protection while shooting. Wish I would have gotten that lesson, instead of getting a constant ringing in my ears and 60% hearing loss in my left ear for the rest of my life).

Brake it down my friend!

all i have used made the noise much worst.a silencer would be the best of both worlds less recoil and no noise.i put one on my ar 5.56 all the holes come out the end which is supposed to lessen the noise,it seems as loud or louder to me but i get almost zero rise.you could put a mule in the stock[they use them in shotguns]it is a tube with mercury in it.i think they have one that would fit you would have to drill the buttstock

Its a hard decision. I have a Browning micro hunter in 243 with a muzzle break. It is definitely louder but it is nice to stay on target. If you are hunting and wearing aids it is hard to hear a electronic call when yote hunting and hard to hear anything moving thought the brush. Im 65 and have a good percentage of hearing loss from guns and work probably from not being protective of my ears. For a child I would definitly start her with ear protection. Maybe if you have the money get a set fitted that can hang around her neck which could easily be put in before shooting. Just my 2 cents. Hope she is successful in her hunts

Many years ago, when I had a complete machine shop at my disposal. I built a brake for a heavy barrel 22-250 that I used for groundhog hunting. I did it simply to see if I could build a brake that worked. And it did work, you could lay the thing on the bags and pull the trigger and it barely moved. Between the brake, the weight of the gun and the fact that I was shooting 50gr. bullets, it had less recoil than one of my 223's, almost like my .17 Rem.

The muzzle blast definitly increased, however some of the brakes that are available today are a little better about that, but the blast has to go somewhere. But since your daughter really should be wearing ear protection anyway, I don't see the problem.

It was fun watching the impact on those whistle pigs though.

after thinking about it your best bet would to be go with a can, putting one on my 243 soon, the one i have on my 223 is great I will never hunt without it. reduced recoil and noise and it tighten up my groups

Originally Posted By: the impactzoneafter thinking about it your best bet would to be go with a can, putting one on my 243 soon, the one i have on my 223 is great I will never hunt without it. reduced recoil and noise and it tighten up my groups

where do you get this???

I have a break on my 243wssm, but the vents are on the top only.. This helps push the rifle downward helping stay on target better..I dont notice any louder noise. I do wear muffs at the range but nothing when hunting

Back