When will the firearms, ammo, and accessory supply chains catch up?

I remember the 94 ban. I did gun shows from 93-95. This is far worse. We had shortages before even talk of a ban. Just remember not to get caught with your pants down again.

With people charging and getting $20 for rcbs cartridge holders for reloading presses on fleaBay, I think we have a way to go yet. This will slow down when people run out of money.

IMO the panic buying is not going to slow down until the talk of new gun regulations die down. Even if it all blows over this time, it won't be the last. The next mass shooting will get the media fired up and it will all happen again.

Originally Posted By: woodguruWith AR's we saw smart guys and shall we say less than smart, the smart guys were selling when the selling was good.

The guys who own small local shops are all talking about the market being driven by idiots, and laughing all the way to the bank. They say Obama has been the best thing for business since guns.

You can even see it on here with people looking to find an AR. This isn't the time to buy one. But these people want one at the highest price they can pay.

Do you happen to know where these "warehouses full of goods" are? Do you really believe that there are warehouses full of guns and ammo but they are not selling them during a boom because they are waiting for prices to go up even further?

I did talk to a guy at Dick's recently and he said all the AR's they pulled a couple of days after the CT tragedy went down are still in the back of the stores. They had hundreds at stores around here.

What their motivation is I don't know. Being politically correct originally maybe. Once the bean counters see they can more than double their money it may change their business minds.

I'm guessing they are not going to send them back to the distributor at the original price. Nor will they drop them off to be destroyed. I do believe the ammo shortage is real. Companies are only geared up to make so much. Brass as a commodity is probably sky high.

The whole ridiculous zombie crap already had non gun types buying up AR's and .223. Unfortunately the planets were aligned for the Obamanation exploitation of a tragedy. Those of us involved in the shooting sports for years are taking it on the chin for it. The newbies will come and go. I'm guessing (hoping) we'll see a bunch of like new AR's for sale at gun shows this fall.

Quote: Do you really believe that there are warehouses full of guns and ammo but they are not selling them during a boom because they are waiting for prices to go up even further?....I'd have to say "No"...With the contracts that DHS, FEMA, and other government agencies have been obtaining and the information being put out by those in the industry with supply problems, the probability is pretty low...

I do know that when my old Police Department had to look for training/qualification ammo, they had to do a lot of looking and piecing together enough orders from various places to meet their demands...And, they are usually on a 'priority' basis with many of their suppliers...

I have no doubt that there may be some retailers that have a limited supply available and they are prone to the laws of supply and demand, but knowing that once their supplies are gone, it may be awhile before they can replenish them...

Until there are definite decisions made on exactly what is happening with bans and other limitations, you will find it hard to obtain most of anything involving shooting...Those that 'have' need to ration their own use for the next foreseeable future...

I know that since before the last elections, I've been adopting the practice of being very frugal with my shooting activities and hanging onto most components that I think I might need...

Originally Posted By: woodguruWith AR's we saw smart guys and shall we say less than smart, the smart guys were selling when the selling was good.

I told my neighbor who is financially struggling to sell his AR while the prices were high, and get another quality one later when the prices settle back.

The guys who own small local shops are all talking about the market being driven by idiots, and laughing all the way to the bank. They say Obama has been the best thing for business since guns.

Before the election one was saying as much as he hated Obama he'd be good for business if he won. Obama winning the first election pretty much saved his business, he was sinking and about to go under prior to that.

Dems are letting the AR ban provision go in order to get background checks and straw purchases tightened.

Totally agree, the market is being driven by idiots and there will be a selloff as soon as many of these Chicken Littles are forced to sell because they overpaid for toys they couldn't afford.

I find it ironic that gun dealers of any kind hate Obama. As compared to whom? Mitt Romney? The former governor of Massachusetts, the second most anti-gun state in the union? Compared to the chauffeur-driven, investment banker Romney, Obama looks positively pro-gun.

If you want more pro-gun presidents, tell the NRA to stop blindly handing out good ratings just to candidates who have "Republican" behind their name. Romney did almost nothing to roll back MA's draconian anti-gun laws while he was in charge, yet everybody believes he was the pro-2nd ammendment candidate? Most of the democrats that challenged Obama in the 08 race were more pro-gun than RoboCandidate Romney.

Grouse

I too really doubt that retailers are stockpiling. Our local Police stated they are scrounging for training ammo. Locals shops sell out as soon as stock hits the shelves. I know of local competitive shooters who are wondering if they can compete in upcoming matches due to shortages. It(ammo) just cannot be produced fast enough IMHO.

I just stopped target practice for the most part until I can see a reasonable supply stream become availible. Many advid shooters I know are doing the same. Most are buying when it becomes availible then sitting on it.

Once the market completely saturates, and legislation tapers off, then supply will begin to increase, sales will stagnate and we will return to a level of normalcy somewhat. I say somewhat because the market has shown what folks have willfully paid. Therefore a market price level has been set on the high side. We are unlikely to see prices as low as we once saw, the public has decided that.

I got in on some of Graf's last primers and I'm set on the rest of my components. I anxiously await the summer/fall sell off to pick up a proper "personal defense weapon." I'm thinking an AK so I can shoot cast in it a little easier than an AR.

I think the cool down will happen, but will heat up once again around the 2014 mid-terms. If the house is loss there will be a weapons ban put in place. While the previous poster was correct that shops cannot afford to re-tool they are switching priority to AR's and ar parts. This switch is also driving the prices of non ar firearms UP, because they are getting harder to find. I suggest we introduce as many non hunters/shooters as we can to our passion. Most of the gun haters I have run into, have never shot a gun, after they do the topic never comes back up. RW

Originally Posted By: The Famous GrouseOriginally Posted By: woodguruWith AR's we saw smart guys and shall we say less than smart, the smart guys were selling when the selling was good.

I told my neighbor who is financially struggling to sell his AR while the prices were high, and get another quality one later when the prices settle back.

Before the election one was saying as much as he hated Obama he'd be good for business if he won. Obama winning the first election pretty much saved his business, he was sinking and about to go under prior to that.

Dems are letting the AR ban provision go in order to get background checks and straw purchases tightened.

Totally agree, the market is being driven by idiots and there will be a selloff as soon as many of these Chicken Littles are forced to sell because they overpaid for toys they couldn't afford.

I find it ironic that gun dealers of any kind hate Obama. As compared to whom? Mitt Romney? The former governor of Massachusetts, the second most anti-gun state in the union? Compared to the chauffeur-driven, investment banker Romney, Obama looks positively pro-gun.

If you want more pro-gun presidents, tell the NRA to stop blindly handing out good ratings just to candidates who have "Republican" behind their name. Romney did almost nothing to roll back MA's draconian anti-gun laws while he was in charge, yet everybody believes he was the pro-2nd ammendment candidate? Most of the democrats that challenged Obama in the 08 race were more pro-gun than RoboCandidate Romney.

Grouse

That is some phuny and ill-informed chit right there.

First off, I doubt that "gun dealers of any kind" are all Republicans who by your definition all "hate Obama".

Secondly, the NRA gave/gives passing grades to pro-gun candidates no matter what their party affiliation is. As an example, Harry Reid (Mr. Presidential knee pads himself) got an "A" endorsement from the NRA in the last elections for his pro-gun views. I'm not saying he deserved it as he'd likely sell his mother to Obama if he thinks he can get ahead politically as the winds shift, but he got one none the less.

If you're going to pontificate, at least try to be fairly accurate with your sermon. BTW - so you don't speculate about me in an online sermon, I'm a very conservative Republican but have good gun friends who are Democrats. Most of them didn't vote for Obama either.

Fear makes people do strange things.
As for distributors, etc. hoarding, that is not happening. As for the black helicopters, they are not flying right now as they don't have any ammo to train/invade with.

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: The Famous GrouseOriginally Posted By: woodguruWith AR's we saw smart guys and shall we say less than smart, the smart guys were selling when the selling was good.

Grouse

First off, I doubt that "gun dealers of any kind" are all Republicans who by your definition all "hate Obama".

Secondly, the NRA gave/gives passing grades to pro-gun candidates no matter what their party affiliation is. As an example, Harry Reid (Mr. Presidential knee pads himself) got an "A" endorsement from the NRA in the last elections for his pro-gun views. I'm not saying he deserved it as he'd likely sell his mother to Obama if he thinks he can get ahead politically as the winds shift, but he got one none the less.

If you're going to pontificate, at least try to be fairly accurate with your sermon. BTW - so you don't speculate about me in an online sermon, I'm a very conservative Republican but have good gun friends who are Democrats. Most of them didn't vote for Obama either.

You can believe whatever you want but that will never make it fact, the one gun store owner I'm talking about organizes and hold teaparty meetings, there are teaparty posters on the fence next to his gunstore. I'm almost positive he hates Obama and I've heard him use those words.

You are talking about an area you know nothing about, it's an area, a county, that is so heavily republican that if a gun store owner were democrat they would never think of openly admitting it.
lol.gif

The difference here is that I'm talking about an area I live in and store owners I know, that to be concise is an informed call. While you on the other hand are talking crap about me who's talking about an area and people you know nothing about, that is the definition of ill informed, some would say highly ignorant, others might even go so far as to say... nevermind, you get the picture.

I think that it will catch up about 3-4 months after they vote, or drop it.
I really don't think they are going to vote for it since Gov NY's approval dropped 16pts after doing what they did. No Congressman is going to risk that kind of approval drop.

The gun debate is loosing steam really fast. Check out YouTube. You'll see libtards on there complaining that nothing is going to get passed. Why do you think Obama is on a anti gun road trip? Because he's loosing the debate. Here is an email I got a few days ago. Not sure if its all true but it seems right.

This is from my former Lt./Capt. Dan Guenther (USMC) from RVN, also author of "China Wind" and others.

Status of gun industry
Doug Ross has several important info updates about the status of the gun industry currently, followed by an inventory update. We traveled to Texas for Industry meetings concerning the shortages, here's what we were told.
Smith & Wesson-is running at Full capacity making 300+ guns/day-mainly M&P pistols. They are unable to produce any more guns to help with the shortages.
RUGER: Plans to increase from 75% to 100% in the next 90 days.
FNH: Moving from 50% production to 75% by Feb 1st and 100% by March 1. Remington-Maxed out!
Armalite: Maxed out.
DPMS: Can't get enough parts to produce any more product.
COLT: Production runs increasing weekly...bottle necked by Bolt carrier's.
LWRC:Making only black guns, running at full capacity...can't get enough gun quality steel to make barrels.
Springfield Armory: Only company who can meet demand but are running 30-45 days behind.
AMMO: Every caliber is now allocated! We are looking at a nation wide shortage of all calibers over the next 9 months. All plants are producing as much ammo as possible with 1 BILLION rounds produced weekly. Most is military followed by law enforcement, and civilians are third in line.
MAGPUL is behind 1 MILLION mags, do not expect any large quantities of magpul anytime soon.
RELOADERS... ALL Remington, Winchester, CCI & Federal primers are going to ammo FIRST. There are no extra's for reloading purposes... it could be 6-9 months before things get caught up. Sorry for the bleak news, but now we know what to expect in the coming months. Stay tuned, we'll keep you posted.
Bow Owens says they didn’t know when they’d be getting anything back in stock, from magazines to rifles to pistols. Manufacturers were running full-bore, but couldn’t come close to keeping up with market demand. It wasn’t just the AR-15s, the AK-pattern rifles, the M1As, and the FALs that were sold out. It really hit me when I realized that the World War-era M1 Garands, M1 carbines, and Enfield .303s were gone, along with every last shell. Ubiquitous Mosin-Nagants -- of which every gun store always seems to have 10-20 -- were gone. So was their ammo. Only a dust free space marked their passing. I’ve never seen anything like it.
Every weapon of military utility designed within the past 100+ years was gone. This isn’t a society stocking up on certain guns because they fear they may be banned. This is a society preparing for war.
Barack Obama, Dianne Feinstein and the rest of the Statists have done more to promote gun ownership than the NRA ever did. Well done, Democrats!

Originally Posted By: woodguruOriginally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: The Famous GrouseOriginally Posted By: woodguruWith AR's we saw smart guys and shall we say less than smart, the smart guys were selling when the selling was good.

Grouse

You can believe whatever you want but that will never make it fact, the one gun store owner I'm talking about organizes and hold teaparty meetings, there are teaparty posters on the fence next to his gunstore. I'm almost positive he hates Obama and I've heard him use those words.

You are talking about an area you know nothing about, it's an area, a county, that is so heavily republican that if a gun store owner were democrat they would never think of openly admitting it.
lol.gif

The difference here is that I'm talking about an area I live in and store owners I know, that to be concise is an informed call. While you on the other hand are talking crap about me who's talking about an area and people you know nothing about, that is the definition of ill informed, some would say highly ignorant, others might even go so far as to say... nevermind, you get the picture.

First off.......... Please notice how all quotes are included here. Yours, the Grouse's, and mine are all included. That's how the forum works.

Second......... I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to and quoted the Talking Grouse, and in that perspective, what he said was phuny and totally incorrect.

As for you, I could care less where you live. Move if you don't like what's happening around you. And don't take yourself so seriously.

Get a grip on reality, dude. You are not the center of the universe just because you have a key board and found PM. Wow...........

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: The Famous GrouseOriginally Posted By: woodguruWith AR's we saw smart guys and shall we say less than smart, the smart guys were selling when the selling was good.

Grouse

Gotta agree with Winny here - Romney probably didn't waste frontline time on gun ban repeals in MA since it wasn't gonna fly in one of the most Communistic states in the nation. Just like Ol' Bammy didn't waste too much time on gun control till he was re-elected for a last term, the Senate stayed liberal/Dem, AND Sandy Hook happened where suburban, white kids got killed - the perfect storm - or as perfect as it's gonna get for this term most likely. You can hate Roney cuz he's rich if you want falling into the liberal class warfare arguments that have brought many a nation into Communism), but I'd much rather have a successful business man there with decades of experience at running a budget rather than some well-spoken, over-confident loser that mooched on public money his WHOLE life (college and "jobs" thereafter all paid for by us - never had a business or a real job in the real world - ever). Romney just making it for Gov. in MA is a success story in itself. Even Ol' Bammy's finding out that just cuz you wanna be King, doesn't mean you can do whatever you want in the real world. There's a Legislature, Courts and, first and foremost, the People as checks and balances.

Harry Reid got A from the NRA due to pulling down yet more public funds to build a huge shooting complex in Clark County. I debate their ratings sometimes myself, but it is less biased than anything else I know of short of the Gun Owners of America list.

Stating that Ol' Bammy is good for the gun business is being a bit short-sighted - quite a bit.

Back