Shot size for coyote

You will get some real good info from some folks that know more than me but something from copper plated BB to #4 buck. You need to take your gun/choke and do some patterning to figure it out. I'm lucky I've got an old mossberg 500 that shoots the federal BB loads real well out to about 40-45 yards and 4 buck out to a strong 50 yards out of .660 Carlson coyote choke. I haven't tried any of the high dollar heavi shot but a lot of the guys here can give advice on them, I'm just a little skeptical at the 70yard claims but then again I'm from the show me state.

Where can you even find lead bb loads . No one has them anymore. You think with as popular as predator hunting has become one of the big ammo manufactures would put out a decent load for a reasonable price.States like mine don't allow us to hunt with rifles so it's tough.

Originally Posted By: tonymWhere can you even find lead bb loads . No one has them anymore. You think with as popular as predator hunting has become one of the big ammo manufactures would put out a decent load for a reasonable price.States like mine don't allow us to hunt with rifles so it's tough. Remington Express Long Range 12ga,23/4",Lead BB,1330fps,11/4 oz. #SP12B

now this is neat, i reload shot shells and i never knew some states regulated yotes to certain arm choice. my dad has a remington 870 wing master, might kick the idea around of seeing what loads run best at 50 yards=]

what patters are you all getting at this distance ???

IMO It's pretty hard to find loads that pattern well consistently at 50 yds.Generally 40-45 is about max for most from what I've seen.

To bad you don't reload.
I load 1 1/2 oz # Lead "F" shot in a 3" hull and push it at 1350 fps out of my 870 with a dead coyote extra ,ported extended choke. At 65 yards I will generally get 5 to 7 hits in a 10" paper plate. I have killed a LOT of coyotes out that far and many where closer to 70 yards...

#2 & BB to #4 Buck, my favorite being size 'T' shot. Some of these companies introduce a new load only to discontinue it after a few years. You have to buy a supply once you try something you like.

Besides the shot size, there is the material the shot is made from, BIG difference between BB steel & BB Remington 'HD'. The heavier HD & 'Hevi-Shot' types carry a lot more energy & penetration is much better. I would much rather shoot 'HD' BB than most lead #4 buck.

Back