4320 & 4064 for the 223

redhorseshoe

Anyone use either of these powders in their 223? I'm thinking about trying them with some 50 & 55 grain ballistic tips. Do you think they would perform okay?

Originally Posted By: redhorseshoeAnyone use either of these powders in their 223? I'm thinking about trying them with some 50 & 55 grain ballistic tips. Do you think they would perform okay?

Tooooooooooooooooo slow!

If you have em, throw some in and try it. All I heard was how slow 4064 was in the 223 with 69 and 77 gr bullets. I had some so I tried it. I get more velocity with 4064 than I do with RL15. Heck, it was more accurate too. RL15 was really slow for me. I could only get about 2700fps tops and I was gettin 2800+ with 4064.

These will work fine. Less than optimal as they are relatively slow, but will work if that's all you have. They work very well with heavier bullets, 77 and 80gr.

[img:center]http://
image_zps0d373ec4.jpg
[/img]

Last edited:
Those burn rate charts are not set in stone. On any given powder they can change places from one lot to another.That is why you should start with less powder and work up to max if you purchase a new container of powder and it is not the same lot number.

Originally Posted By: EJ Reichenbach
image_zps0d373ec4.jpg

My three burn rate charts beat-up your one chart
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: BearThose burn rate charts are not set in stone. On any given powder they can change places from one lot to another.That is why you should start with less powder and work up to max if you purchase a new container of powder and it is not the same lot number.

Nope - powder does not vary enough between lots to change places on a burn rate chart.

And if you work up loads every time you get a pound of powder, you must spend a lot of time at the range, test the same loads over and over.

The variation from lot to lot is not detectable without instruments.

Anyone who says that 4320 is to slow for t the 223 has not a clue, if you don't want a ball powder, 4320 rocks with a 55 gr bullet, i use 25.5 grains, it fills the case to the bottom of the neck, and it do shoot sweet, and yes it is faster than varget, but meters waaaaay better.

I just want to find out which one is right. Cat if you look at your varmint als chart it says that 4064 is faster.

I would agree with you on the other, I only had powder change my load one time and that was with IMR7828, other than that if you work up a load every time you buy some powder than you have way too much time on your hands

For me with the same bullet, same case, same primer, it takes more varget than 4320 to reach max loads, so for me 4320 is faster, if one can reach max pressure with less powder "weight wise",then that powder is faster.

Back