240 Wby....

coyotewallace

Well I picked up one in in the Wby Vanguard S2 and thought it might be a good beater rifle and good time on coyotes...

Anyone else using the 240 Wby?

Any thoughts on a couple diffrent bullets I been looking at using for coyotes/rock chucks?

1)62g Varmint Grenade
2)72g VARMIN-A-TOR
3)70g BlitzKing

I also have some 87g VMax that should get the J.O.B done...

Looking for any and all advice so lets hear it....Thx

I'm using IMR 4350 with a 70gr Nosler BT and getting very good accuracy out of a Mark V. Haven't chronoed it yet but don't really care, it shoots good! I'm away from my notes at the moment and can't remember the amount.

Used to have a 240 Wby in a Mark V. It was a rocket, and deadly for the first 1000 rounds or so. After that it more closely resembled a shotgun. Sweet little gun. I only shot heavy bullets, 100 grainer at 3300 fps using RL22.

Whatever you use will kill a coyote a lot deader than it needs to be, lol. I'd use the Nosler BT, Hdy vmax, etc, something with a good bc.

Congrats on getting a sweet gun, something not everyone is carrying. Only problem with any of the Wby rounds is expensive brass.

Originally Posted By: coyotewallaceOriginally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachUmmmmm????? Are you sure its a 240wby.
LOL!! I'm sure...only reason I bought it.
It's the S2(the new one)
Here is a link to the web page...look under specs
http://www.weatherby.com/product/rifles/vanguard_2/series_2_synthetic

Well I guess you learn something everyday I had no Idea they made the S2 in the 240wby, sorry for doubting you. I bought the same gun in a 243, they shoot good I had to pillar bed mine and it made a world of difference. I may have to pick one of these up if I can find it. What did you have to give for yours.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 204 AR
Whatever you use will kill a coyote a lot deader than it needs to be, lol. I'd use the Nosler BT, Hdy vmax, etc, something with a good bc.

Congrats on getting a sweet gun, something not everyone is carrying. Only problem with any of the Wby rounds is expensive brass.

Thx 204 AR..

Not into fur so keeping the hides is of not interest here..

I also have a couple hundred 90g Swift Scirocco 2's I want to try for their BC.

As far as brass I'm set for awhile...200 pcs

Originally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachOriginally Posted By: coyotewallaceOriginally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachUmmmmm????? Are you sure its a 240wby.
It's the S2(the new one)

No where on that list is there a 240 weatherby mag. I have the exact gun in a 243. Was it rebarreled.

Its a 240 Wby from the factory...I pulled up that link I posted and its under the tab "specs". Its the 3rd listing down

Originally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachOriginally Posted By: coyotewallaceOriginally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachUmmmmm????? Are you sure its a 240wby.
It's the S2(the new one)

Well I guess you learn something everyday I had no Idea they made the S2 in the 240wby, sorry for doubting you. I bought the same gun in a 243, they shoot good I had to pillar bed mine and it made a world of difference. I may have to pick one of these up if I can find it. What did you have to give for yours.

If you click on "specs" it is on the list. At least it is for me.

It's the S2(the new one)

No problem...

it was $524.63 Out the door

I run an 87 grain berger hunting vld. I really have grown to like the berger bullets especially the hunting ones. If I had your chamber I would try the 105 amax, it says you need a 1-9twist but my 1-10 stabilized them, thats not the first time I have heard of people stabilizing the amax with a a1-10. If that didnt work I would shoot for the 95gr hunting vld berger. Or maybe try the nosler accubond I believe its a 90 grainer. The only problem with the VLD's is they like to be close to the lands and thats almost impossible with a weatherby caliber, I tried to with my 257wby and couldnt do it even with a long bullet so keep that in mind. My weatherby calibers have always shot the best with the bullets seated as far out as possible its always made a difference in mine.

You should be able to get that S2 to shoot around .6-.5 moa, I would recomend pillar bedding it. Its really easy to do and midway sells a kit for 37 bucks with all the stuff and then jus buy some compound. I fought mine for a long time I would get a good group one day then it would grow to an inch and then back to a half or 5/8ths group, I finally just bedded the whole thing and changed out the trigger and that fixed it right up.

Yours might stabilize them and they might not and the pillar kit won't hurt, it comes with very detailed instructions, I would recommend the acraglas gel kit it's the one in the green box, and get some kiwi shoe polish for a release agent. You will need a 9/16 drill bit, I just bought a spade bit, if you haven't done one before just give me a pm before you start there isn't a lot of room to drill those holes out on that stock, and I would make sure you have a Dremel tool.

Originally Posted By: EJ Reichenbach the pillar kit won't hurt Agreed

Originally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachYou will need a 9/16 drill bit, and I would make sure you have a Dremel tool. I have both of these

I'll get the midway order in and I'll PM you. thx

Yes sir those are the ones. When your ready I can PM you pictures. But dont forget to get the Kiwi shoe polish, it works better the the release agents that come in the kit.

Back