Swarovski 3.5x18x44 Z5

If anyone has this can you help me out? There is only one review on Midway USA for it and that doesn’t cut it for spending $1500 for a scope. There are other reviews out there but mostly formal articles in magazines with some sporadic comments below (I don't put much faith in the formal reviews...seems there is ulterior motive for most).

How do you like it? Worth the cash? If you had a reset button and were given the chance to do it over, what would you buy?

You guys helped me on the EOTech (found the 512 was recommended) so I figured this is the way to go. Thanks again,

Rob

2013 = The year I'm upgrading my optics

I don't have that one but I do have the 5x25 Z5 and 3 of the older AV series 6-18's

You might experience a little wallet discomfort but it's short lived after shooting it for a day. I really like mine, it's mounted on a Dakota Predator in 20Tac for the prairie doggin. The Swaro's are one of the only scopes out there that my eyes can take looking thru all day. I wouldn't change a thing if I did it again, no regrets.

They will make a glass snob out of ya in no time!
grin.gif

Last edited:
Swarovski makes great glass! You can't go wrong with them. You can use them for several years and if you decide to sell them (most people don't) you will get a very good price from them.

I had the Z5 3.5-18x44 and it's a great scope. In fact there is some debate that it may be clearer in low light than the Z6 series. The reason being less lenses to restrict the light. It is a very lightweight scope and fits very well. My only complaint when they initially came out they had very fine reticles. In low light they pretty much washed out. I talked to the Swarovski reps 2 years ago at Dallas and they commented that their new ones were going to have a little heavier reticles. I have never looked through one of the new ones but that would be my recommendation. If you're a hunter hunting in low light you need a heavier or darker reticle.

If Swarovski would put illuminated reticles in these scopes I would sell my Z6is. That's how good I feel they are. But because of what I just said is a very good reason Swarovski won't add illumination....
frown.gif

One more note... before ordering from Midway keep an eye on www.cameralandny.com. Doug has already said he bought all (or probably most) of the show specials from Swarovski and they will be perfect and carry the full warranty. Plus you'll probably save $200-$300 on the scope. I'm expecting his specials to come out any day now.

Just went over to his site and currently the only demo in the Z5 lineup he has listed is the 5-25x52, PN-59888 which list for $1589 but as a demo he has it for $1349. That is the one with the fine reticle which I wouldn't buy for my style of hunting. The others will be along soon...

Having owned a lot of Swarovskis I have found the new Leupold VX-6 is a very good scope and the price is a bit lower. It's also lightweight but it is available with an illuminated reticle. Saving some cash and have a scope that will work in low light or virtually no light. They have it in a 3-18x44 and a 3-18x50. I don't think you can go wrong with the Leupold. Depending on how good your eyes are you may not be able to see any difference. The Leupold is a 30 mm and the Swarovski Z5 is a 1".

Both good, depends on preference at this point.

Wow, very detailed. Thanks!

Now I’m looking at the Leupold VX-6 as well. Kind of weird they don’t list the VX-6 3-18x44 on their website but several retailers have it in stock. Oh well…I sent an email to Leupold inquiring about it.

Thanks again,

Rob

I have that scope on my cooper 223 p-dog rifle. I've had a 30mm leupold lr 4.5x14, a 4.5x14 ziess conquest both on the rifle before. There is no comparison the swaro is way better for my eyes and shooting p-dogs in eastern MT. It handles mirage and shooting into a low sun much better than either of the other 2. Bought from camaraland they are great to deal with.

I've had the Z5 5-25 and the 3.5-18 scopes. The clarity and brightness are the best of anything I've looked through. Never used a Hensoldt, Premier, or S&B, but have looked through most everything else and would pick the Swarovski for clarity out of them all. They are nice and light as well. The target turret they offer works well once set up and isn't too difficult to get dialed in using their website and a little shooting. The BRX reticle is very very thin. My dad had a hard time seeing it at all. I liked it on sage rats and groundhogs, but would opt for the BRH or other heavier reticle for big game. There were lots of times when I could spot groundhogs in a rock pile out past 400 yards when my spotter couldn't pick them out with decent binocs until they moved. Very bright high definition scopes. Some of the ones I've owned came as a demo from The Sample List and Cameraland. The prices ran in the $1150-$1350 range and were like new. Might save you a few bucks if you wait until they have one available. If you're going to roll around and beat and bash your scope, I'd get something built for that, but for normal hunting and shooting, I would highly recommend the Z5.

Go with the Swaro I've owned the 3-9x36, 6-18x50 with the BT, and the Z5 3-18x44 BRX. Exceptional glass, maybe even brighter then my Nightforce, and def brighter then my Zeiss and Leupolds.

Highly recommend Doug at Cameraland NY, he's a sponsor here and lists deals in the sponsor section. I picked up the Z5 3-18 last summer for around $1250 as a demo, still had all factory stickers and looked brand new to me.

Back