Texas Hill Country

Actually with 120+ sounds, I use several. Lighting jack, cottontail duet, baby bee cottontail, woodpecker, or lucky bird, will all work. You must realize, asking for what sounds work, is sort of like asking where my favorite spots are. I'd rather give you my SS#.

I hunt in menard co. We have only seen 2 coyotes in 17 years, but foxes are plentiful. We use lightning jack, lucky bird, grey fox in distress and numerous cottontail sounds. The grey fox in distress called four cats in a two night period. Those are just a few, oh yeah also vole squeaks.

I've had better luck with hand calls lately (woodpecker, cottontail) but the Vole squeaks on the Foxpro has done quite well for me with the fox and cats.

We called during day and would see occasional fox. Started at night an boy it was a different world. Many more critters called including cats. My open reed hand held calls in high pitch will work wonders.

Thanks for the advice guys. Been having a little luck on the fox in the early morning with sreaming grey fox and lightning jack. May have to switch to night calling.

And ninehorses I dont think I asked a personal question, I am just a hunter asking what other hunters are having luck with in my general area. You dont have to worry I dont hunt in Mason county, I hunt in LLano and Blanco county. But I will take your SS#!!

Here Lightening Jack won't call Jack. Coyotes have been coming to more unusual sounds. One of my favorite is Luscious Lips.

Thanks Daddyflea, Was calling last weekend and was using luscious lips and after 20 to 25 minutes nothing had showed up so after setting for a couple minutes I went to get truck and my father in law said just after I went over the hill get the truck he saw a coyote come out of the woods and crossed over the open space about 175 yards from him and as luck would have it I had the rifle and he had the shot gun. That is calling!! sometimes they come in after all the calling stops. lol

Daryl,
I hunt in Colorado and Fayette county. Calling has been kinda slow. I did call up two grey fox and a bobcat last Friday. Had the foxpro on the cottontail distress and it all happen in 10 minutes.

Went out the last two mornings. Both mornings the first call of the day right as the sun was coming up was the only fur we saw. Yesterday the first call about a minute and a half a grey showed up and I could not find him in the scope of my 25-06 and my father in laws 12 gauge miss fired. Saw nothing the rest of the day. This morning we went out and on the first stand of the day at the two and half minute mark a coyote came in with the after burners on so I went from screaming grey fox to the coyote pup in destess 3 for a couple minutes and he was not interested so I went back to the screaming grey fox and within a minute and a half had a grey sitting within a couple feet of the caller. Needless to say he did not walk off. And Had one hole in my foxpro FX5. I guess one of the buck shot ran wild. Oh well that will leave a conversation piece for the rest of life. going out tonight for a little night hunt and see what will happen then. Maybe with caller on top of truck my father in law will not shoot my caller. LMAO!!

Back