Make your own-Hornady Lock-N-Load Overall Length Gage Modified Case

I also made my own gauge and modified cases. But instead of using the 5/16 x 36 i used standard fine thread 5/16 x 24.
casegauge_zpsd83dd075.jpg

The tubing is 1/4" ID stainless, the rod is 3/16 brass brazing rod, end piece is stainless bored and knurled, only thing purchased was lock down screw.

Cases are made on lathe, drilled with 9/32 and tapped, flip the case around and relieve the neck with emery cloth and 1000 grit paper wetted with WD-40 until very light tension on the bullet.

Works great, but have to make your own modifed cases because of 24 pitch thread. I need to find a 36 die.

I have the 36 tap. Been making my own for a bit. I dont think those gauges give you the most accurate reading it changes if you apply more or less pressure, I guess it gets you close enough.

Originally Posted By: RhinoriderI also made my own gauge and modified cases. But instead of using the 5/16 x 36 i used standard fine thread 5/16 x 24.
casegauge_zpsd83dd075.jpg

The tubing is 1/4" ID stainless, the rod is 3/16 brass brazing rod, end piece is stainless bored and knurled, only thing purchased was lock down screw.

Cases are made on lathe, drilled with 9/32 and tapped, flip the case around and relieve the neck with emery cloth and 1000 grit paper wetted with WD-40 until very light tension on the bullet.

Works great, but have to make your own modifed cases because of 24 pitch thread. I need to find a 36 die.

This is very cool. For the non-machinist how would it work to just size and relieve a case, then insert a bullet into the neck and run the cartridge into the camber, either with a dowel from the back or with a stripped bolt in the carrier. Once seated, nudge the whole thing loose from the muzzle end with a small OD wooden dowel. Then measure the OAL.

Last edited:
Back