Canadian Coyote Callin' Jamboree

Well, I don't know about this. I am a little bit interested in this but that seems like a lot of travel for some mangy old yotes. I would have to travel 8 hrs one way for this. I just don't know. That just seems like a waste of time and energy. Hmm. Don't think I have ever traveled that far before to shoot anything. Hmm, will have to think about it for a while.

Greg

Sounds like a good idea!! SHoudl be a good year without all the yahoos on snowmobiles ruining it for the callers! plus with the market a bit slower only the die hard hunters will be after them!! I would be interested, I was south west of Elkwater last summer and seen tons and local guys were sayign the area is crawling with them!!I will see what ic an do!!

Sureshot, where's Elkwater?

Greg, You've driven further than that just to watch me shoot stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Well if you are driving your John Deere......might take a while. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

How far are you from the border?

BTW, I don't think they allow coyote hunting here with pellet guns. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I'm five hours from the Pembina crossing.

And, no fear about the pellet gun, Watson is buying me a shiney new .223. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Redfrog / Cvypress Hills.

Redfrog part of Cypress hills (Elkwater) South East of Medicine Hat and the actual park (Elkwater) goes into Saskatchewan. The farm land surrounding the park is all privately owwned land. If you go further South East Manyberries (Spelling) the country is a lot more open and larger ranches.
Think your thought South of #3 would be superior.
Mike

Randy upon further investigation, I talked to a guy who said it took him 10 hours to Winnipeg. You wouldn't be going to Winnipeg and we would most likely be hunting south of here, so I'm thinking one day drive.

Tasimna???? is just down the street from you, so maybe you guys could hook up.

BTW Tasimna, is that a typo?

Brad , We haven't talked a date yet. I'm thinking the last half of Feb. would work for me. but I don't know about anyone else. I'm trying to see how much interest there is. It would be greta if some of you 'Mericans could make it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Yes redfrog, south of medicine hat! I wa sint he area aroudn mannyberries, My brother works for BJ's out of med hat and knows alot of the ranchers,And my buddies bro is a crob adjuster out of the hat, he says the area is crawling with coyotes and gettign permission to hunt a weeks worth will not be hard! nice rolling hills and great coyote cover in that part of the country!

Hey,
Im more or less new to this coyote hunting deal but Im adicted to hunting and do as much hunting and Big game hunting as possible. I am new to here and dont do much posting, just a bunch of reading. But anyways Im from north of Edmonton and would be intrested to come hunt with you pros. I have only got 12 coyotes in the last couple years but have not hunted as much as I would have liked too. I warn you Im only a young buck (17) but Im real serious about hunting and dedicated. I have got 3 coyotes this year since the first week of december. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif My truck is in the shop though gettin fixed I will have to see how that all goes. I'd love to come. Coyote hunting must be easier down south. lol

Noelyn

The Woodsman How far north of Edmonton? It would be great if you could make it down.What kind of gun do you use for coyotes?

Hey,
Im just a bit past Morinville. Or you may be more familiar with St. Albert I am about 20 minutes from the edge of there. Right now Im still using my big game rifle for coyotes, shes a model 70 .270. But I have came up with a handload that does not destroy the hide. Beleive it or not. I use 130 grain Hornady SST bullets and 54.6 grains of IMR 4350. Works Real good The biggest hole I have had is 1". I just stitch it up and Halford still gives me a decent price for the yote. Great thing is I can use the same load for deer with good results so Im getting pretty good with this rifle. I got my buck at 335 paces this year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif But I am working on getting a coyote rifle right now.Im thinking of a .223 what would you recommend. I know thats an impossible question to answer since there is merrits to every caliber but what do you like.

That 270 load sounds pretty good.

I have a .223 and I think it's pretty hard to beat. Ammo is cheap, kills coyotes dead out past 300 yds. if needed, and is fur friendly as well as user friendly. I often see the hits because the recoil is so light. It is also a good caliber for gophers, as you are unlikely to burn the barrel out quickly.

Having said that, the new 204 sounds pretty exciting. Flat shooter , long distance, fur friendly. If you do a search here, there has been a lot of discussion on the 204.

Yeah, shes not bad it saves the hide and they drop dead right now. But it would be nice to not use such a large caliber, expecially around population. Not to mention I just like the idea of getting another gun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I like the sounds of that .223 Should be about all I could ask for and most practical for me. The .204 is an intresting thought.

Thanks for the advice

Back