Shooting Sticks... 2 legs or 3?

roxie

Looking to purchase my first set of shooting sticks (most like Primos Trigger Sticks), and I'm trying to decide between the 2-legged bi-pod model vs. the 3-legged tri-pod.

I've always used a fixed, Harris bi-pod on my rifles; however, with my newest project I'm going with the sticks instead. While I like the idea of the stability of 3 legs, I'm a little concerned with bulk and the inability to easily reposition the tri-pod when the target inevitably appears in the opposite direction. I hunt from a sitting position 90% of the time.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I just got a bi-pod set of sticks this winter and wish I would have stuck with a mono pod. I use it with the two legs together as a monopod. Most likely in Texas you are hunting more open area where a bi or tri pod would work but here where everything is close I can't get the shot coverage with anything more a monopod.

If you are sitting I would say 2 legs. I personally own the Primos Trigger Stick short bi bi pod. After using it for a while I think there are better mouse traps out there. To me the bi pod legs just do not spread wide enough on it because the trigger part is a bit to long on them. I have better had luck with it using it as a mono pod. just my opinion.

You guys bring up some interesting points...

I've never really considered the 1-legged mono-pod version because of my concerns about my ability to stay steady on the target in a windy setting. I'm afraid of swaying. It sometimes gets pretty windy here, so that's why I have never given the monos much consideration.

Any problems with them in the wind?

I use two-legged shooting sticks. Easy to move, easy to put down and far easier to dump than the tripod version when you you need to shoot off hand.

two legs...hands down... you can always close them up to become a one legged monopod.

there's no use in pulling the trigger if your not STEADY. The two legs will steady the front end...then you have to worry about your shooting arm swaying. It doesn't take much sway to miss a coyote's chest at 300 yds. Becoming a rock should be your number one goal. Do whatever it takes to be solid... solid... solid.

+1 on the two legged version. I don't like the single leg becasue I don't want to have to keep my other hand on the front of the gun to keep it from tipping over. Two legs gives you a nice steady rest while you are running a remote or hand call with the opposite hand. I use a set of stoney point shooting sticks.

Somebody mentioned Vanguards. I looked at them as well. They too make a "drop down" model similar to the Primos Trigger Sticks.

Any feedback on the Vanguard Dropdowns?

spotandstock are u using the bog pod been thinking abut getting one of theese. I'm looking at the bos series short. do they rotate 360?

Yeah I use the bog pod. The head swivels 360 and their very sturdy. I shoot a RRA 24inch which is heavy and the sticks handle the weight very well.

I would recommend the trigger stick monopod. I have 2 sizes, depending on what seat I use. I can keep my gun very steady, no hand on the front needed. It will get you on your shot as quick as you can shift if needed. I own other bipods, sticks, and tripods. They just collect dust. At first I thought it would not be steady, but it very quickly became my go to stick.

2 legs (and like Potatohead said, "that's almost one too many") Take a look at the Snipe-Pod if you truly want the best out there. I've had the triggersticks, bog pod, vanguards, Harris, etc, the Snipe-pod is all I use now. instant on/off rifle, fully adjustable, legs move in a ball and socket so each one can be moved in any direction independantly (or they can be put next to eachother for use as a mono pod), super light, a tiny little mount can be left on different rifles so swapping it around is easily. The only down fall is that they're not cheap, but still worth every penny... and then some.

Back