Anyone ever experience bullet splash from 55gr V max

I was wrong on the stats bear. That was my 243. too long ago to remember what bullet it was.25 years. This was a handload and not recommended. It was the heat and humidity of the day that caused this. I was lucky I didn't ruin something. Although I had no signs or extreme pressure, this was a very HOT load.

I've had splash wounds from the 40gr Vmax out of a 223, and splash wounds from the 60gr Vmax out of my son's 223WSSM @3,700fps, enough that we stopped using the Vmax in the 22cals.

In my 243, I used the 75gr Vmax at full throttle on about 31 coyotes without a splash, or even fur damage, but the 32nd coyote had an exit, a rather large one.

Coyotes can be hard to put down. I've shot them with 60, and 55 grain sierra's and had them get up. When I got close enough to see the damage from the 60 g was extensive, but the bugger still required a second shot. The front shoulder was just hanging by the skin and the bugger still got up and started running! Shot one with a 50 grain v max at very close range, which put him down for the count, hit him just behind the shoulder quartering away. This seems to be the best spot to hit them if possible, puts them down for good! The 243 wssm puts them down hard every time though, but if the shoulder is hit, the pelt is trashed. That is why I like to stick with the 223. I have some 65 grain sierra'a and 60 grain BT's on order, I have heard they are both a tough bullet and will hopefully ensure one shot kills!

best bullet i have used in my 14 years of coyote hunting with a 223 is the 55gr v-max. never had a "splash", never had one get more than 75 yards with a good hit. i killed a dozen or more this year with a 55gr v-max that dropped in their tracks at a range of about 100 yards.

if you shoot enough dogs, eventually you will have a runner. usually due to poor shot placement. front on shots almost never run off with just about any bullet.

The only "splashs" I've ever had with VMaxs were with the 32 grain VMaxs in the 204. They were so frequent that I quit using the 204 altogether. Never had one using the 50 grain VMax in 223 and I've killed a bunch of coyotes with it.

Originally Posted By: daddyfleaI have alwas thought a .223 is very marginal round for a Coyote.

Well what do you know, Elmer Keith is alive and posting on here. I suppose he thinks the 333OKH would be the minimal cartridge one should use.

Back