will this work ?

EJ Reichenbach

I am trying to get measurment to the lands on my 300rum. I kept gett different measurements with my oal gauge. So partially neck sized a piece of fired brass and lightly pressed a bullet in there and left it very long chambered it and closed the bolt pulled it out and the bullet stayed in the case, which was what I was hoping for, I did this a couple times and kept getting very close to the same measurment.Now this should be an accurate reading right ?

Originally Posted By: Ridgeline17Yep now take a lighter and smoke the bullet and chamber it. When you extract the round this time it will show the rifling.

A sharpie will work as well.

In a 300 RUM you ussally can not seat close to the rifling because the round will not fit in the mag well... You will probley find that you will just start loading to mag length...Jason

Originally Posted By: smith1559In a 300 RUM you ussally can not seat close to the rifling because the round will not fit in the mag well... You will probley find that you will just start loading to mag length...Jason

Mine will I just had a Wyatt's box installed and it gives me an oal of 3.99 inches if I want.

Originally Posted By: MGYSGTMake sure you use the same bullet to set up your dies.

Tom

Thats only if your measuring off the tip of the bullet, I use the oal gauge and measure off of the ogive and usually get the same reading.

My 700 CDL fits in the magazine just fine, loaded out to the lands. Once I find the seating depth it likesfor one load, I use a comparator and seat all the different bullets I try to the same depth with it. That usually give me a seating depth very close to what the gun likes. Saves me some time then adjusting the depth later. Once I find what the gun likes with a particualr bullet, I make up a dummy round for that particular bullet, label it with the powder charge and primer, and save it in my reloading cabinet for quick reference. Then, when I need to load up anyhting, I just grab the appropriate dummy round, set up the dies, and go to work.

When I was shooting the nosler's in it it didnt seem to matter much but I like the way the 210vld's shoot and they shoot better close to the lands.

Back