lee classic

alienx

Let me start out by apologizing for this stupid question but just ordered the lee classic for 22-250 and the little yellow powder scoop that comes with it will that work for any loany powder load and is it a max load with it or what

It goes by volume and not weight, a lot of inconsistencies I would imagine. Does it come with any info on the powder they used to design the dipper?

I use mine when I'm working up test loads and trickling the rest in the scale pan...It makes getting the bulk of the powder charge easier to handle and then trickling the remainder lets me get each charge precise...

After I develop the optimum charges and test them at the range, I'll go ahead and set my powder dispenser for bulk loading...

Get a powder thrower and a beam scale😉. Use the dipper for trickling and nothing else. The Lee perfect powder measure is cheap and consistant if money is a issue.

Originally Posted By: alienxYeah im new to reloading and will prob annoy some with too mamy questions

We all had to start with not knowing anything about reloading, don't be afraid to ask questions... the dumbest question is the one you don't ask.

I will share any and all my experiences and knowledge with anyone who wants to know it. I learned reloading from old timers who had been doing it since the 40's, 50's.

As for the powder dipper I haven't used them they just seemed too possibly inaccurate for me. If it was me i'd buy a nice inexpensive powder thrower, say RCBS off eBay or somewhere and get a decent scale, that is a solid starting point, but a scale is a MUST!

I'll second the nod to the lee perfect powder measure. the one I have is eerily accurate. When I'm doing load development I'll weigh each charge. The LPM is seldom off ... at all, but if it is, it's by a couple of "kernels" of 8208 (small fractions of 1/10th of a grain).

Don't worry too much about the volume v. weight issue. The idea behind the lee dipper is that volume and weight are interchangable. All traditional powder measures use the same assumption. For about $25 I'd recommend the LPM. Their Safety Scale is not bad either. It looks seriously cheap, but it works as well as my RCBS 1010.

scoop that comes in the lee die set just gets you in the ball park for powders they list in the load chart with the dies and shouldn't give you a charge of powder more than recommended max.

FWIW, Even though I own a scale (digital and balance beam) and a powder thrower/dispenser thats fairly accurate, most of my reloading is done with the Lee dippers. Over last few years began altering the Lee dippers and I now have over thirty of them that I use most of the time to throw powder charges with. With ball type powders they are accurate for me and I prefer using ball type powders. With extruded (stick) powders my dippers can vary with AMOUNT thrown. However, variation of amount of powder is not wide enough to be a real concern for me. In short, I'm not a perfectionist and am not too concerned with up to a .4 variation in grains when working with extruded powder. Just can't forget a local gent who in his time fell into a category of a kinda world class benchrest shooter. He didn't think up to a .4 grain variation was something to be too concerned about, he was more concerned about his rifle and shooting technique.

My two cents worth

I have a scoop that came with each set of Lee dies. I have not used them for anything other than scooping powder out of the jug and into a $ 20.00 battery powered scale. For as cheap as you can get a scale, sm. battery powered or cheap Lee beam scale (either one ~ $20.00), thats what I suggest you do. I was curious, so I went and looked at the scoop that was included with my .308 Win. Die and the scoop is 2.8 (now I`m going to ASSUME, that translates to 2.8 cc`s), so there are a few combinations(powder & bullet weights) that have the start load right at 2.8 cc`s, but unless you have a whole set of those scoops, then your kind of hosed.

If you are just shooting cans, rocks, ect., they are ok. But for hunting and target shooting get a scale. I bought a Redding scale used at the local gun store for $20.
I've seen some RCBS on this site for the same price.

Tom

Back