Load for .308?

MnYoteRookie

How about a load for .308 that may possibly be fur friendly?

Yeah... I know, I know... Fur friendly rounds are basically a myth. At least that's what I've found. A "bad" hit and POOF. A good hit and you have needle and thread in hand...

Problem is, I just built a nice lightweight .308 that has proven itself a real shooter. I'd love to give it a go and a good place to start with loading would come in handy.

Assuming that you are loading your own, I have HEARD that if you shoot a regular cup and core bullet backward, it will hit harder than a FMJ due to the blunt end impact. It will also not expand at all. Sounds to me like a good comprimise for coyotes but again, I have never done it myself. If I was to try it, I would pick a bullet with a short ogive to avoid excessive seating depth. As with anything handloading, you would need to work up the load to avoid max pressures.

If you don't reload, this is completely useless. just go with a reduced recoil load to keep velocities lower. Less splash that way. or a really tough hunting bullet that will not expand much in a coyote.

Good Luck!

I don't know what your twist rate is, but how about a bonded bullet? A hornady interbond I would think would be a good choice. If you can stabilize a 165 grain, it would slow your speed down considerably which, in my opinion, really helps with fur damage. Quickload shows 165 grain interbond with 45 grains varget at 2777 fps muzzle velocity with a 24 inch barrel at 2.800" OAL. This is max load according to quickload. You would want to start low and work up to that. Also, 180 grain interbond with 42.5 grains varget at 2631 fps muzzle velocity with a 24 in barrel at 2.800" OAL. This is a max load as well according to quickload. Again, start low and work up. Speed has just as much to do with fur damage as bullet choice with my experience. Both of these loads could be slowed down considerably.

I'd load a 150-165 grn soft point, deer hunting bullet, & take what it gives you with any predator shots. A 150 or 165 grn Pro Hunter or Gameking will do.

Back