22 Mag sight in distance

yotehunter57

I got rid of my 17HMR Friday, and came home with a new Marlin 22 Magnum. The only ammo in town was the Hornady 30gr V-Max, so thats what I'm going with for now.

50 yards should be my average shot in the thickets after Bobcats with 75 being the rare long shot.
So I'm thinking a 50 yard zero and shoot 75 to see the drop.

I'll try some heavier ammo as soon as some more comes in. My gun shop guy said he sold the 80 boxes of 40 and 50gr that came in, in 3 days.

Shayne

I sighted my .22 Mag in at 100 yards.If you're shooting lighter bullets now it wouldn't hurt to sight it in out to 100 just to see what the heavier bullets do at 50 or 75 yards.

.22 WMR(40gr. HP at 1910fps)bc .100, @65yds +1.5", @100yds +.5", @123yds -1.5", @200yds -19". These figures are for maximum point blank range, 0-123yds on a 3" target the bullet never goes more than 1.5" above or below line of sight.

Originally Posted By: missedshot. 0-123yds on a 3" target the bullet never goes more than 1.5" above or below line of sight.

My marlin 22 mag would not group at all at 50 yrds or 100 yrds. 3 in. plus groups at 100. Tried all kinds of ammo. Got rid of it and been hooked on 17s ever since. Bull barrels seem to shoot better with the 22 mag though.

The post is a trajectory table for maximum point blank range, not a group size or what my rifle will shoot. It is a sight in for aim and shoot hunting at known limited distances without scope turret adjustment.

I sight my Ruger 77/22 magnum in at 60 yards. Not exactly sure why that distance, but I
guess I just considered it to be a compromise on yardage that I most likely would encounter
in the field. Most of my shots while hunting have been around 75 yards.

Win1.jpg

Win2.jpg

Win40gr2.jpg

RugerTarget1.jpg

RemWin1.jpg

77-22Leupold1.jpg

Wahoowad and me and a couple of groundhogs he took with his Ruger. Shots were approximately 100 yards

DavidWaddill.jpg

Coyote and bobcat at approximately 75 yards

22magcoyote2.jpg

04-32.jpg

That's a sweet looking rig 6mm-06. I just can't pony up that much for a knock around rifle.

I know it's just a Marlin, but it showed promise while sighting in until the wind got up and I stopped.
At 50 yards I was shooting 2 shots and adjustng the scope slow, and never had the 2 shot over 1/4" apart. About half the time the holes would be touching, and that's accurate enough for me.
Hopefully the wind will be better tomorrow so I can finish fine tuning the scope.

Shayne

Shayne,

I've had three Marlins, all well-built rifles, but seems I just couldn't get the accuracy I was wanting.
The last one was a factory camo one, nice rifle, but it just wasn't consistent from one group to
another. At times it shot great, and other times I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn door. After
missing a few groundhogs that I know should have been mine, I traded it off and purchased the Ruger.
I haven't had any regrets, thought the Ruger is not cheap as you eluded to.

I really tried to get this Marlin to shoot well, even installed a Rifle Basic trigger, but it just wasn't consistent.

Marlin1.jpg

Marlin2.jpg

22magcrow.jpg

22MagStarling.jpg

If you are getting good accuracy with your Marlin, then there's no need to look any further.
Seems like 1/4" is pretty darn good.

David

I got the Marlin for a walking around gun. Something I can carry when out walking, that has enough pop to kill the occassional coyote or bobcat of opportunity but still be lighter and shorter than my 223.

We don't have groundhogs, gophers, prairie dogs and such to shoot. Maybe a crow, or an armadillo once in a while.

Shayne

I have my Marlin sighted in at 100 yards. I have tried several different types of ammo and found that it like 30g. Vmax the absolute best shooting 3/4" or tighter groups after I upgraded the trigger to a rifle basix. Winchester's 30 grain load is second best at an inch or slightly over at 100 yards. I could not get under 2" groups till I did a trigger, but I bet yours has that new accutrigger like design. They are MUCH better then the older T900's.

I have a marlin 982s that is a shooter,it loves the 30gr v-max.I have it sighted in at 100yds,it shoots consistant -.75 inch groups at 100yds.picked it up at pawn shop for $175 stainless and synthetic.I looked at the new ones at the gun shop with the heavy barrel,didn't really like the feel it felt cheap.Stock seemed to be hollow and really thin.But that is just my opinion. Good luck

I wemt with a 75 yard zero. I thought that sould be a happy medium. It was dead on at 25 and 75, and about 1" high at 50. Then it was around 1" low at 100 yars, so I'm plenty good with the accurcy of the 30gr V-Max.

Shayne

Friday I picked up some 45g Dynapoints to try in the Marlin.
Not a good round for the Marlin. It looked more like a shotgun pattern, than a rifle group, roughly 3" or so at 50 yards.

I guess I gotta keep looking for a heavy load that shoots decent for larger critters.

Shayne

Finding the right load may take some doing. My magnums have had distinct likes and dislikes for various brands and bullet weights.

Like 6mm06 said, it can be a long process finding a load your 22mag. likes. Then with other 22mags. its the first one you try.
scared.gif

I shoot the Win. 40gr. hp's (silver box) and sight mine in at 80yds.
I use a Sako Quad that shoots real well.

Back